Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Wolves and wolfdogs

Wolves and wolfdogs All about animals similar to CzW... Information about other Wolfdogs: Saarloos Wolfhound, Lupo Italiano...

Old 16-01-2004, 12:17   #1
Margo

Send a message via Skype™ to Margo Send Message via Gadu Gadu to Margo
Default Wolves in Slovakia need your immediate help!

The problem is, although Slovak Republic ratified the Bern convention, we have an exemption to kill wolves and bears. This predator was annually protected from 1995, but our Ministry of Environment asked for the exemption in 1999 and from this time it is possible to hunt for wolves on Nov.,Dec. and January. There were officially hunted about 150 wolves in Slovakia last year - only one year. Nobody knows how many were poached. This is bad. The numbers of the whole population of the wolves in Slovakia are very different. The biologists say there is no more then 150 wolves (in March) and the last several years all natality was killed by hunters. The Low Tatras National Park director thinks there is about 350 wolves here (before hunting season).
And of course, hunters say about more then 1000 wolves in Slovakia, but during the last counting of large predators in Polana Mountains in the middle of Slovakia, the real numbers were 3-5 times smaller then the hunters say.

It is a paradox ? when the population of the rare species little increase our state starts regulate it {by the way 40% of the Slovak Parliament members are the hunters}. And the real population is between 100 - 140 wolves here (guess of scientists).

Except the problem of official hunting the wolves, the Slovak Republic breaks the Bern convention as for other predators - Martes martes, Martes foina, Meles meles, Putorius eversmanii which are not protected annually and it is possible to hunt for them. Using the leghold traps is also common, although it is prohibited, because distribution of the traps is legal.

It is very astounding that permission for collective hunts for wolves in Slovakia is not officially needed and wolves are commonly treated as varmints. This status enables to kill as many wolves as hunters can. There is no management of that.

Please, I would like to ask you to write your opinion about this situation to our Government, Ministry of Environment and the State Nature Conservancy ( the links are down the mail ). If it is possible, please distribute this letter to other NGOs.
Thank you very much for your help.

Ing. Marcel Trnovsky / Ecologist / Slovakia / January, 2004
[email protected]

=========================
Office of The Government of Slovak Republic
[email protected]

Ministry of Environment / The Section of Nature Conservation
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

State Nature Conservancy of Slovak Republic
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Low Tatras National Park
director : [email protected]
[email protected]

Members of Slovak Parliament
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

The customs of your tribe are not laws of nature - George Bernard Shaw
Margo jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2004, 14:50   #2
mijke

Maybe somebody can make a standard letter or petition to send?
Then we can also use it on the sites of other country's.

A few weeks ago I asked on the Dutch site also to help the wolfves in Alaska.
And they could sign the petition on:
http://www.savealaskawolves.org

(Governor Frank Murkowski signed a legislation that brings back same-day airborne and aerial wolf killing (land and shoot). The public voted against , but there are also a lot of parliament members the hunters )

greetings,
mijke
mijke jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2004, 18:25   #3
Margo

Send a message via Skype™ to Margo Send Message via Gadu Gadu to Margo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijke
Maybe somebody can make a standard letter or petition to send?
Then we can also use it on the sites of other country's.
We already though about it - but it will take a while...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijke
A few weeks ago I asked on the Dutch site also to help the wolfves in Alaska.
We had the same problem in Poland last year and we were successful.

This weekend I heard on the radio the ministry gave the permission to shoot to wolves again. But this time the hunters can kill only 3 of them and only because the wolves leaned to kill farm animals insted of hunt wild game... (OK, I think they will kill some more because most hunters have horrible problems with mathematics and they always make mistake of a few hundred per cent... )

The customs of your tribe are not laws of nature - George Bernard Shaw
Margo jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2004, 02:31   #4
Philippe

Send a message via ICQ to Philippe

Hi all,

What a pity to hear such news! Can you imagine I'm trying to built a wolf center here in France (not a zoo, a park with several 25000 squaremeter parks), the difficulties to obtain authorisations and if succeed, the difficulties to find subjects outside of France and to import them? I will need 6 subjects in each park to start, and plan to open 3 large parks at the same place...

I just visited the model park yesterday, they own a pack of 10 European wolf freely moving in a 12000 squaremeter park, I saw them, it was so fine, they look so great... This conforted me in my project, I wait until next week to come to south of France to see the same future park under construction near the italian border... The more I see, the more I read, the more I'm convinced of the necessity of such a place, but what compared to this genocide?

A letter is the best way for us to act, even if it's late... Please, let me know when a general form is ready, I will translate her and distribute her using all the ways I know today!

Philippe
Philippe jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2004, 12:39   #5
michaelundinaeichhorn

Hello Margo,

I could translate Marcel Trnovsky´s letter into German if you send it to me as a mail.
We should all be very aware that the hunting goes on since years, it actually never really stopped, though it never had this open official aggreement.
Since years there are rich hunters from other countries, especially Germany, that payed for being allowed to hunt wolves, and it looks like this kind of hunting even reached the national parks the last years. It seems there are no restrictions for people that are willing to pay enough.

Even the free wolves that appeared near our place at the Behemian-Bavarian-Border disappeared again and it is an open rumour that they were killed by tschech hunters in the national forrest. Also forrestmanagement and cattle keeping started again even in the stricly prohibited zones of the nationalpark where links and those wolfes lived.

I would suggest, that those of you who are better English writers than I am design some letters. Steffen Baldamus has a Slowakian colleague that translated letters for us before, maybe he could ask her and Sona Bognarove could be asked to translate them from English. So no Slovakian could pretend he doesn´t understand the protests.
It maybe would be a good idea to mention that you are very concerned that a furture Europian Union member is not willing to obey international law it has signed and that you will send a protest note to your EU parliament deligate.
It also was very successfull in former times and other countries to mention that a lot of tourists visit the country because of its wildlive and are especially interested in wolfes and bears and that those tourists will no longer come when red-list-animals are killed.
Last year an American Campain was quite succesfull not at least because a lot of people canceld the hotel rooms they booked some time before because of killed wolfes. The tourist-depending people in the region got quite nervous.

Regards
Ina
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2004, 14:51   #6
Conor

Quote:
Since years there are rich hunters from other countries, especially Germany, that payed for being allowed to hunt wolves, and it looks like this kind of hunting even reached the national parks the last years. It seems there are no restrictions for people that are willing to pay enough.
There should be a season when wolves hunt the rich hunters. I am sure the hunters would find it just as invigorating, and the challenge of avoiding an intelligent predator would be far more stimulating and gratifying than the challenge of blowing the brains out of an unsuspecting animal from half a mile away! The pleasure of the ultimate goal - that of having a snap shot taken with a dead dog at your feet - eludes me. But then again,I am not a rich,powerful or influential man. Thank God.

It is a sick paradox that those with the power (the wealthy, the influential, or the social elite) can rape and deface the rural environment, and tag it as the noble, historical need to 'hunt' in order to survive. If we choose to apply the similarly pre-programmed urge to destroy our urban environment, by graffiti for example, or wrecking the bus stop, we are delinquent vandals. If they do it, they are hunters! Ha! I think you could argue that graffiti is simply an urban manifestation of our repressed urge for territorial marking, and so it's evolutionary origin (and hence it's biological compulsion) makes it just as valid an act as 'hunting'. There should be a season for it, when we can all dawb our walls with paint and marker pen. We have an equal right to express our biological imperatives as do the hunters,don't we?

The truth is this - wolves hunt, humans kill.

Conor.
Conor jest offline   Reply With Quote