Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Living with a CzW....

Living with a CzW.... Stories as forewarnings for future owners.... everything about the character of Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs

Old 21-01-2011, 06:12   #1
Gypsy Wolf

Default Pollux Crying Wolf Kisses Strange Men!

Hi all,
Just wanted to share a funny story - and get a little feedback on CsV training, too... Pollux Crying Wolf is co-owned with a friend and he is back at my house now (he was with his co-owner for a few months while I had my left hip replacement revision surgery).
We have been working de-sensitizing him to formerly stressful situations (like strangers behaving dominantly or "rudely" with him) with food in an attempt to counter-condition his response (I don't expect him to turn in to a Golden Retriever, but I do not want any nervous behavior). There are a few famous trainers out there - such as Ian Dunbar - who feel it is NOT a good thing to try to counter-condition such behavior - that it is "unfair" and that those of us who have dogs with "that" sort of temperament should not force them into uncomfortable situations...
Of course, the problem is, here in America, people are generally rude to dogs, so SOME conditioning is necessary, not to mention that if he is to be shown, he will need to deal with a stranger giving him "eye" and physically "dominating" him with an examination...
Anyway, my working dog club members have been great with helping socialize him and today I saw some surprising spontaneous behavior in Pollux that was TOTALLY unexpected...
I take both Luna and Pollux to the dog park everyday to run around for at least an hour to exercise them. Usually we go at hours where there are only a few dogs... today there was a pointer-mix whose human was sitting on a bench across the park... never met him before, and he was hunched over talking on his celphone... to my surprise, Pollux went over to the guy (who had no treats and no other dog there) as if he knew the guy and promptly licked his face several times with a big grin on his face! Pollux then proceeded to another stranger - a lady across the way - and greeted her like a friend, too, even allowing the stranger to pet his head!
I was floored! Luna is usually the more social of the two, but she certainly has no interest in being petted by a stranger, let alone kissing one!
So I am not sure if this is due to the "treat therapy" we have been doing, or his maturing, but we will continue the counter-conditioning as it seems to be working...
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 21:37   #2
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

The friendly behaviour sunds good

Hronec can be like that to, the problem is more that the strangers might not like to be kissed by a BIG Wolfdog

And therefor I do not let him run lose...

Very best regards / Mikael
Old 25-01-2011, 00:43   #3
Gypsy Wolf

Default And he even kisses babies...

Luckily the people who frequent the dog park really like the vlcaks. Today there was a new couple with a 9 month old infant - and to my surprise Pollux went up to them and kissed the wife AND THE BABY! He really thinks he is the greeting committee...
Old 25-01-2011, 21:52   #4
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunas Mom View Post
Luckily the people who frequent the dog park really like the vlcaks. Today there was a new couple with a 9 month old infant - and to my surprise Pollux went up to them and kissed the wife AND THE BABY! He really thinks he is the greeting committee...

OK As long as they like him and he is soft and nice, it is OK by me

But soner or later he might kiss someone that do not like a kiss from The "big Bad Wolf"

Very best regards / Mikael
Old 25-01-2011, 22:03   #5
Gypsy Wolf

Default Big bad wolf kisses...

Yes, I agree... actually, when I saw Pollux go over and kiss the baby I was worried the mother might freak out - Pollux's head is easily half the size of that baby!
I always worry that someone is going to panic with the "wolves"... there is one lady who has a pitbull who taunts the vlcaks and then runs and hides under the bench it's owner is sitting on. The vlcaks do not bother the dog once it "hides" but it's owner panics when the pitbull starts wrestling with the vlcaks. So we keep to the other side of the park from her if possible. The nice thing is that the vlcaks will happily play with each other and ignore other dogs.
It's strange how people have certain fears or biases when they see a vlcak...