Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous All about Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs...

Old 28-09-2010, 20:09   #1
Gypsy Wolf

Default Eating Hair & Anal Marking

Hi all,
Interesting things that I have been noticing in my 1 and a half vlcaks...
The first is an interesting behavior I see frequently in Pongo - initially I thought he had issues with his anal glands - I even had a vet look at his anal glands - he would drag his butt in certain places. After some research, I found out that wolves will "mark" territory with "anal marking" behavior. In domestic dogs, anal marking is also a sign of dominant behavior.
Another thing that I have seen - in Luna, specifically - is "hair eating"... this is another wolf behavior seen specifically in Luna when she eats bones. In wolves it is part of the "kill" of course, but one theory on why wild wolves do not have "issues" digesting bones is that the hair they ingest wraps around the bone bits as they pass through the intestinal tract. Obviously, both of these behaviors are instinctive.
Would love to hear of any other vlcaks that display these behaviors...
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 21:54   #2
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

I think the theory about hair wrapping around bones in a wolf's diet making it safe has largely been disproven. When I can find the study, I'll dig it up for you.

Dogs and wolves alike have no problems with eating and digesting appropriate bones, even the bones that are skinless/furless/featherless. So I wouldn't see hair eating as anything more than just being, well, a silly puppy. Lots of dogs I've known from Pit Bulls to Poodles have had hair eating inclinations.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 23:13   #3
Gypsy Wolf

Yes, would love to see the study. I do know that animal "pharmacopia" is hotly debated. As an Ethologist, I do look at anecdotal evidence and do not consider it "unscientific"... for instance, for those who have read Shreve Stockton's book about her coyote Charlie, there was an interesting passage about Charlie having eaten a couple of grapes and then purposefully seeking out and eating charcoal the next day - something he had never done before and has not done since - f course she has not fed him grapes since, either. Luna's "hair-eating" only happens when she ingests a lot of bone from one of the knuckle-bone things I give them. It may not actually be to "wrap around" the bone but rather to facilitate passage as large amounts of bone/calcium can cause constipation.
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote