Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Breeding

Breeding Information about breeding, selection, litters....

Old 18-12-2008, 22:01   #81
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelundinaeichhorn View Post
.... I would strongly recommend coming to Slovakia, Czech Republic, Germany and Poland seeing some older dogs and talking to experienced wolfdog people.
I fully agree with you, Michael. As it is said in Gaga's signature: Breeding is neither a function, nor a profession or a hobby but a title and honour. It should be deserved and held with dignity.

I would add that breeding (unlike making litters ) is a kind of art, where huge knowlege, hard work, good eye, skills, experience and imagination should be correlated with talent, (or at least a knack) and... modesty (?)

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 22:36   #82
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelundinaeichhorn View Post
Dear Mikael,

sorry to say, but you seem a bit overexcited about the whole thing.
A so called rare line doesn't mean that it's a "good" line.
And if you look at the pedigree of Falco zo Sennej you see that's not a rare line at all. Sorry Sona and love to Australia....
His father is Cezar od Pavlisina, if this dog's name rings a bell and his mother Klea Ruskov dvor.
Her sister Krasna has many, many descendands. Look at the number of her son's Arek offspring and grandchildren for instance.
For Jola more or less the same.
Her mother is Kada, daughter of Orlik and Hesy.
Look at the number of their descendands.
The only so called rare line nowadays would be Jola's father Synek.
Do you know anything about the health status of the mentioned dogs?
Ok, Falco got blind at the age of 5 or 6 years and his niece Argenta Zelena Voda around the same age.
She´s suffering of a glaucoma which is probably hereditary.
I'm not patronizing you, but before making breeding plans, praising dogs you don't know and blaming certain lines you don't know either, I would strongly recommend coming to Slovakia, Czech Republic, Germany and Poland seeing some older dogs and talking to experienced wolfdog people.
The above mentioned example is only one out of many.
Wolfdog.org and the collected data are brilliant, but only one point out of many.
Have a look at the dates of the different summercamps and come over.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not denying problems with high inbreeding or even health problems in the breed but your point of view is far too simple.

Regards,
Michael
I think you misunderstand me a bit here...

I did not say I would breed on them, only that I was interested and wonted more info...

Showresults is not needed, but good health is...

Best regards / Mikael
Old 18-12-2008, 22:44   #83
Nebulosa

Send a message via ICQ to Nebulosa Send a message via MSN to Nebulosa Send a message via Skype™ to Nebulosa

If we see in the correct point CzW breed have fell lines and if you see most part italians, Passo del Lupo, Crying wolf, Villa D'oria and maybe Kysucká hviezda, all other so called lines are nothing more than interessing mates, like Tambury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelundinaeichhorn
Ok, Falco got blind at the age of 5 or 6 years and his niece Argenta Zelena Voda around the same age.
This is the tipical information really important that everyones try hidden.
So, we have Glaucoma problem in the breed, if Falco and Argenta had this problem means it comes from Klea, from Klea litter only Krasna (and Klea) was used as stud, do you know if another brother or sister of Krasna had glaucoma problems?
Knowing this problem we already know that wouldn't be secure for the puppies make any litter with the blood % upper in K Ruskov Dvor CS litter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco
But this breeder has 3 dogs out this litters, do you not think he has a reason why he did not breed on with this dogs out of those litters?
Scorpion is Chryptorchid.
Sara is Displasic
Lack one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco
Or is just only the line that must be kept alive, and really the rest is not inportend?
And can we take out lines in CzW?
All CzW are parents, one more closed than other, another more far away than others, but all they are parents, the breed born of only 5 bloodlines and that is the problem.
For people have a little idea about the problem, FCI today only recognize breeds wich have more than 8 different bloodlines.
Some dogs and litters will show problems, some because bad selection like a huge inbreeding, some because accident, the ill appear in the litter, unexpected. But these problems shows only problems wich hole breed have and can appear, and the worst, will appear with the time when the line get more and more close.
What save the breed t'ill now was the good conscience of the origin countries and of some breeders wich don't make (or the clubs don't allow ) clone litters, different parents in every litter help to increase the genetic pool of the breed.
Some litters, some even of pretty famous dogs have brothers or sisters with health problems, chryptorquidism, displasy, hearth problems, epilepsy and maybe some others that we cannot nor imagine, commonly we only know the healty dogs and use it, if you see by line, and start use only healty line wich make only healty puppies in few times even this line will start to show problems because the consanguinty.

So, in this case the only thing that can we do is don't use the affected dogs, and in the case use carefully a healty brother, selecting with care for avoid close in the problematic blood.

Even if we open the line of the CzW with a new blood we will need much more than only one line and a lot of years for make really different lines for let the breeders make a more strong selection, taking out hole litter of reproduction if needed, taking out C dogs or any other "bloodline" wich we find problem.
Now, we can't do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanka
But blood of Rep is not so "interest"= good for rescuing . More interest is Atos z Belesova.
Anyway you will rescue the blood of Rep together... Atos Belesova is his son.
Old 18-12-2008, 23:13   #84
loco
Non active.

Thanks .
Old 18-12-2008, 23:18   #85
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

I agree whit you Nebulosa !!!

If possible we must save this line, we can not lose one,
when we infact need more blood lines...

But is it to late ???

And way do not the clubs do anything ???

What do the owners of this dogs think ???

Regards / Mikael
Old 19-12-2008, 00:01   #86
solowolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
I se your point Pacino but no thanks...

Regards / Mikael
it is good point if you have european wolf, the breed is changing before your eyes in Italy, now the biggest breeders in world and the CWS from here are starting to look different from the dogs from northern Europe, we also have nearly another type altogether being bred in France, but before you breeders from Italy and France give me both barrels on this,, have a look at the photos on this web site and see for youself,, in uk over the years we have seen the Alsation a working breed turn into a hunched back, cow hocked dog with little or no working potential left so much that the Police in uk now import there dogs, i have nothing against showing of dogs but when people start to breed for LOOKS it is disater, going on how dogs look and how many shows it wins is when it starts to go wrong, the cws is working dog, and a good one at that, with spirit and energy and with a character that is hard to match in any breed, out going and loyal , so lets us all work together in keeping it that way, ive seen to many with there tails tucked up to do me a lifetime,
pacino
solowolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2008, 18:27   #87
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Thumbs up Topic Candy

Quote:
Post # 37-1. Originally posted by Nebulosa.

"Repeating matings is different to use a stud.
Omar z krotkovskeho dvora was used in a different data in pretty different conditions for the breed.
I don't agree with his use in this way, I don't agree with the fact that people had use so much some studs as Rep Z pohranicni Straze and Omar z Krotovskeho dvora, when at the same time some dogs with different bloodlines get lost in the time because hole litter of lonely mate die without get used in the breed…"
Quote:
Post # 37-2. Originally posted by Nebulosa.

"And so, we have here the good character of the stud owner, you as owner will let your dog be used in repeated mates? with females with bad bloodline for him? or let him make inbreeding using him with his daughter?
here enter the good sense and the money question…"
Quote:
Post # XXX. Originally posted by XXX.

"There is also the consanguinity trouble which is directly related to this point, on 5 generations some Crying Wolf mating have a COI of 25% (as reference brother sister mating gives 25% COI)."

Quote:
Post # 11. Originally posted by elf.

J. Gubbels - GENETIC MANAGEMENT OF DOG BREED POPULATIONS (2002) : http://www.gencouns.nl/artikelen/200...Management.pdf
Chapters 4 - 5 - 6.
Quote:
Post # 21. Originally posted by elf.

"I have a darker view. It's currently not easy to mate two CsV and get a COI less than 20% on the full pedigree (and I guess nearly impossible less than 15%). Nowadays example, last 5 mating announced on this site: 18.53%, 23.72%, 30.89%, 20.78%, 27.10%. These numbers carry meaning."
Quote:
Post # 55. Originally posted by Hanka.

" It is, why in Czech work breed comission. It is, why we try to keep 7 base bloodlines and much males in every class. We know sotuation in other states. in much country is easy to take two "wolfsih type of wolfdogs " and make pups. But is not easy to keep level of Wright down. We need not new wolves in breed, we need to help to lines what are not much in the World. It is work for clubs, not to produce some pups in wolf type, but very related.....
I know, not in all casses we can make "not related pairs", but we try it.
For example: last my two litters was Wright 1,51 and 3,9.My two next litters will have 4,19 and 4.83. Is it possible, but you must choose good male (good for blood), not only champions with wolf face."

Quote:
Post # 72 and 74. Originally posted by fenris.

"Nothing is more a detriment to a breed than pure show-breeding."
"To follow up my prior comment; please have a look at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7779686.stm"

Quote:
Post # 78. Originally posted by fenris.

"Inbreeding isnt necessarily the problem, but lack of proper offspring selection. Breeding dogs for "beauty-contests" will lead to genetic problem despite the inbreeding practice done. Breeding for good working dogs require a multitude of qualities. Add to that "vitality", "multiple health-factors", mental characteristics &.c.... Breeding is far more sofisticated than adding up pedigrees and inbreeding coefficients. I know some breeders of domestic animals can be very successful practicing inbreeding. Mother-nature can handle heavy inbreeding in wolf populations thanks to severe natural selection. A problem with CWD is an over-estimation of some show-dogs as "studs" and an under-estimation of some good working-line dogs. How are the offspring tested for satisfactory breed results? The bonitations and working tests should be required for studs and brood bitches of this workingdog breed…"

Quote:
Post # 61. Originally posted by Mikael.

"I really think we nead some international breeding roules,
(recommendations) about COI, total Offspring´s and repeated litters...

I do think that the most breeders do try to keep the COI low,
but it is a question how long this will be possible...
if some breeders make litters whit a COI on 20-50% on 5 generations !!!
And take over 50 Offspring´s ???

Not just the COI on 5 generation is important, but the total pedigee to...

I think we and the clubs better react NOW, not in 4-8 years, then it might be to late !!!"

Questions…

Quote:
Post # 17. Originally posted by elf.

"Would be nice if this post goes to: "what are the breeding rules, a (new?) breeder, should follow -regarding the situation from now 2008- in the CsV breed ?

About stud dog max offsprings ?
About repeating mating ? Yes, no, how many max times, under which conditions ?
HD pedigree rules ?
COI, should be less than X% ? Or more allowed if condition Y ...
What are the thoughts of the (old ?) wise around here ?
Quote:
Post # 43. Originally posted by Mikael.

"What kind of inbreeding diseases will show up first,
Are there any common signs to look for ???"

Thanks to all great posts. Best regards / Mikael

Last edited by Mikael; 19-12-2008 at 21:12. Reason: Text errors...
Mikael jest offline   Reply With Quote