Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Sport & training

Sport & training Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs as working dogs - how to train, how to teach new elements, information about competitions and training seminars...

Old 17-11-2008, 01:13   #1
batmandy

Default Search and Rescue

Hi there, can anyone tell me if a CWD has ever been trained in Search and Rescue. I am in the process of training one of my dogs as an air-scenting dog, but after she is fully trained i would like to have a CWD either to do Air-scenting or human remains detection
batmandy jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 09:12   #2
michaelundinaeichhorn

There are several CSW in Germany doing Mantrail, many of them did exams till now. One is allready working as a Mantrailer-rescue dog since about a year, being quite succesfull. They are now training cadavers for water-search. One dog has an FCI-exam in air-scenting One started in Avalanche rescue and did very well.
I am training mantrail with three CSW at the moment and am training on regular terms with a German and two US-trainers that mainly work for the police, all dogs work really satisfying.

I think Mijke does train her dogs in some of it too.

All trainers the German dogs worked with till now think that they are doing very well and saw no problems in working with them.
Alun Williams from the UK-police is coming over for a Mantrail-seminar on March. If you are interested in having a look just contact me.

Ina

Last edited by michaelundinaeichhorn; 17-11-2008 at 10:18. Reason: my usual difficulties writing on English
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 09:42   #3
Rona
Distinguished Member

See some photos of working CSV: http://www.wolfdog.org/drupal/en/gallery/cat/0-3/
Some past threads concerning training CSV:
http://www.wolfdog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2322 http://www.wolfdog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6038 http://www.wolfdog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7430

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 10:08   #4
michaelundinaeichhorn

Great, I didn´t realise there are so many!
Two more photos:

http://www.wolfdog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6038

Looking at that, why aren´t those exams under training results of the specific dogs? Do the owners have to send the certificate to wolfdog.org?

Ina
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 10:27   #5
batmandy

Thank you very much for that as i said once my air-scenting dog is fully trained, i will be looking for a cwd now i know the results you are having, i would like to do cadaver work as well as air-scenting,
Mandy
Old 17-11-2008, 11:34   #6
Per Olav

Send a message via MSN to Per Olav

More on SAR + video1 and video2
--
Per Olav

Last edited by Per Olav; 17-11-2008 at 11:57.
Per Olav jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 14:36   #7
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmandy View Post
Thank you very much for that as i said once my air-scenting dog is fully trained, i will be looking for a cwd now i know the results you are having, i would like to do cadaver work as well as air-scenting,
Mandy
In fact air-scenting was the main objective for dog selection in the Military Kennel where the breed originated. That's why CSV should be ideal for this kind of work, though probably the dogs are not as easy to train as other breeds (e.g. GSD) due to their independent nature.

I don't think present breeding selection moves in this direction, but I know quite a few CSV owners who train their dogs for air-scenting as a hobby. They don't necessarily take any exams, but spend their time with their dogs having a lot of fun.

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 15:04   #8
batmandy

Default Search and rescue

Many thanks for all your input, i will look forward to hearing from you again soon, i will let you know how i get on.
The team that i belong to here in the UK are voulenteers, we work along side the police all our dogs are our pets, we have to take exams to go through to the next level we are level 1,2 &3 . So very intresting how other people do this.
Kind regards
Mandy
Old 17-11-2008, 17:13   #9
Per Olav

Send a message via MSN to Per Olav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rona View Post
In fact air-scenting was the main objective for dog selection in the Military Kennel where the breed originated. That's why CSV should be ideal for this kind of work, though probably the dogs are not as easy to train as other breeds (e.g. GSD) due to their independent nature. .
I found a link to this video on the German forum. Perhaps Ina (or any other) will comment the info related to the purpose of the Russian wolf/dog mixes?
--
Per Olav
Old 17-11-2008, 17:36   #10
batmandy

Quote:
In fact air-scenting was the main objective for dog selection in the Military Kennel where the breed originated. That's why CSV should be ideal for this kind of work, though probably the dogs are not as easy to train as other breeds (e.g. GSD) due to their independent nature.

I don't think present breeding selection moves in this direction, but I know quite a few CSV owners who train their dogs for air-scenting as a hobby. They don't necessarily take any exams, but spend their time with their dogs having a lot of fun.
I have to say we all have great fun on training nights, but when out looking for a missing person sometimes the outcome is not so much fun, but then thats what we do
Old 20-11-2008, 13:26   #11
lupis

many CLC in italy work in Search and Rescue. you can see photos in gallery and meet owners on our forum
lupis jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 16:25   #12
Vicky

Quote:

I'm curious why more people aren't breeding for tracking since it was such an integral part of the CsV's origin? Learning about the breed, and knowing I would like to become involved in them in the future, I always figured that's where I would focus my endeavors because it's a very real job that dogs are still needed for in this day & age, and it keeps the dogs in line with what they were originally bred to do. I know GSDs and other similar breeds make good "sport" dogs because they follow blindly and easily win points, but if I were personally to start breeding, I would want my line to focus on a real talent for search and rescue/tracking, with retaining independence in deciding how to go about the job.

I'm curious, are there ANY breeders out there with somewhat similar goals? When the day comes that I finally do get my first CsV, I would love it to come from parents who have already proven to be exceptional trackers.
Old 01-12-2009, 20:59   #13
Hanka

Send a message via ICQ to Hanka Send a message via Skype™ to Hanka

Try contact owner of male Hero od Úhoště. This male has 16 exams and he was on qualification race for world championat in tracking. I am sure he will answer you all your questions.
Hanka
Hanka jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 23:56   #14
Nebulosa

Send a message via ICQ to Nebulosa Send a message via MSN to Nebulosa Send a message via Skype™ to Nebulosa

Will be also very good to talk with the owner of Furcas z Peronowki and D'Kazakh les Plaines de l'Est, Freewild, he's working in Utilitary search with his dogs.

Frensh topic

English topic