Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Breeding

Breeding Information about breeding, selection, litters....

Old 01-07-2011, 21:43   #1
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari
Default Owner's dreams vs Breed Welfare.

I really wonder if some of the people involved with the Vlcak breed clubs in America really have the dogs' best interest in mind.

I am thinking about a dog named Pollux Crying Wolf.

According to a post here:

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=79143

It is written by Draggar:

Well, yesterday my wife got a call from a professional animal wrangler in California interested in him. (We confirmed with our talent agent who he is and she did confirm it). This person is one of the go-to people out there when movies and TV people want wolf-like dogs. He has several wolf hybrids but they're getting old and due to increasingly strict legislations across the country in regards to hybrids he's been looking at better alternatives and decided to go with vlcaks.

He got a female from a kennel (one I do not like but that's a different story) and was lookin for a very wolfy looking male so he could mate them for a litter of vlcaks to use for his kennel and work.

He ended up contacting us for Pollux. The wrangler, Pollux's owner, and my wife came up to an agreement this morning.

In related news - he was contacted by the King of Thrones people. Apparently they are having second thoughts over using Northern Inuit dogs as the dire wolves and wanted something different - they contacted him and want to use his dogs.

He intendes to use Pollux and the female as two of the dire wolves in season 2 of Game of Thrones along with some of his hybrids. (My stipulation is that they BETTER send us tons of pictures with him on the set!!).

The wrangler also lives on 1+ acres of property, has a staff, and several other dogs who Pollux will be able to run around and play with.

This is about as close to perfect as we can get and I am ecstatic for Pollux.

Seems like not much thought is put into the fact that this person looks like he has done little to no research on Vlcaks, wants them to 'look wolfy' and so forth just for sake of film, and already is planning to be a breeder with a female from a kennel that Draggar doesn't like - another mill?- and Pollux from a kennel with still ongoing debate whether or not he is a mix! And Draggar wrote on the "Pollux Needs a New Home!" thread that:

"As for neutering / breeding - I don't think we have to worry about him being fixed. Who here in the USA would help someone like that fake paperwork to get them reigstered? " So apparently registering is what's important, not that a person will be looking to breed a shy 16 month old male from questionable lineage to a bitch which isn't from a very nice place?

And so, there is no wonder he won't be neutered before leaving.. Well, is he? Is the post above outdated?

To me this is simply irresponsibility, but it seems like the owners are happy because Pollux is now in a position to now fulfill their dream of having a famous animal on screen!

So can someone please tell me that this is simply a post which I misunderstand? Or...?

PS. I hope this new owner, professional wrangler, etc, is a better trainer than Pollux' first owner Siobhan. At least he purportedly can train "all animals".
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:46   #2
Rona
Distinguished Member

Internet is patient - can take everything, even contradictory writing on various forums

I just wonder what Pollux's fate is if he turns too shy to act and does not fulfil the expectations of the following owner.
Isn't there in the USA somebody who could take Pollux without any plans, ambitions and interests in mind? Just to give him a safe home and love him the way he is?

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:23   #3
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Thanks gods you wrote it...

This is really terrible - you have to simply hate a dog to give him there!!! Pollux needs a nice FAMILY, not some movie star carrier with "breeding"

No decency, no safe attitude towards a living being. Only ambitions and (?) money.

Sorry, my Saturday became a total SHIT after reading the "happy ending story of Pollux"

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:04   #4
Tassle

Oh Dear

Having done film work with my dogs, and read about the temperament of Pollux, I cannot see how the two are going to Mix.

I truly hope the film/TV industry in the US is different in its attitudes to animals than it is over here.

....you missed the bad news - which states that Pollux has developed such bond, he will not work for anyone else. He is going to cope well with being handed to strange actors then isn't he!

Last edited by Tassle; 02-07-2011 at 11:10.
Tassle jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:06   #5
Shadowlands

Poor Pollux! If he is shy and nervous now, just wait till he is plonked onto a film set with all the lights, noise, equipment, rushing about and stressed people...

I agree with the Vaiva, Yukidomari and Rona on this one - he needs a HOME where he will be loved and fussed.

All of a sudden they are not bothered that he is not close by (unless my geography is that bad, Florida and California are nowhere close...). What was so wrong with the other possible new homes for him that didn't meet the criteria, if this one did??? Neutering should have been a condition of his rehoming with these people (too high a risk of mixes being created), but now we see why it wasn't (odd how there was no mention of the female and the planned breeding on the other thread, when it was known about...).

Sad times for Pollux and Vlcaks in the USA.
Shadowlands jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:13   #6
Shadowlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post

....you missed the bad news - which states that Pollux has developed such bond, he will not work for anyone else. He is going to cope well with being handed to strange actors then isn't he!

Very good point Tassle! Poor boy has had a pants life to date, finally bonds with someone and feels secure only to be 'moved on' because it doesn't suit the people to keep him.
Shadowlands jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 13:39   #7
Vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukidomari View Post

He got a female from a kennel (one I do not like but that's a different story) and was lookin for a very wolfy looking male so he could mate them for a litter of vlcaks to use for his kennel and work.

In related news - he was contacted by the King of Thrones people. Apparently they are having second thoughts over using Northern Inuit dogs as the dire wolves and wanted something different - they contacted him and want to use his dogs.

He intendes to use Pollux and the female as two of the dire wolves in season 2 of Game of Thrones along with some of his hybrids. (My stipulation is that they BETTER send us tons of pictures with him on the set!!).
Yeah, so I've been slowly catching up on the forums here, and I DEFINITELY did not see this in that other thread. I was going to respond later today regardless, because it seemed an odd decision, especially considering neutering, but this is just flat out ridiculous. I was going to look into other posts later on when I have more time, but didn't they just mention somewhere else not that long ago that THEY thought Pollux wouldn't work out well in a film situation because of the same shyness that's keeping him from being a good working assistance dog?
Old 02-07-2011, 16:55   #8
tupacs2legs
rookie

Send a message via ICQ to tupacs2legs

I feel so sorry for pollux and am horrified at this decision!

The fate of these last dogs that were used for that production I thought would of put them off of selling this dog that they proclaim to care for!

I hope a csv will not become a 'star' my other breed has not benefited from films such as snow dogs and eight below,breed rescues have had to shut their doors as they cannot cope with the influx!!!
tupacs2legs jest offline   Reply With Quote