Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Wolves and wolfdogs > Saarloos Wolfhound

Saarloos Wolfhound All about Saarloos Wolfhounds

Old 19-12-2008, 04:33   #1
marosmith

Default Training, pulling, mushing with SWH?

I have an Alaskan Husky and we have her pull a bike, small sled and wish to Skijor in the future. I reviewed the training section of the site for the CWD and people have been very successful in training them to mush and do similar activities.

Would it be realistic to expect that a SWH would be trainable in this area (knowing that this would be done with an already trained Alaskan Husky)?

I know that it is generally considered more difficult to train SWH then CWD, but that may be because of the anti-SWH bias of most of the sections in this forum.

Thanks.
marosmith jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2008, 07:48   #2
marosmith

Any thoughts?
marosmith jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 21:49   #3
loup-de-bretagne

I don't think the Saarloos has the right temperament, he is difficult to train and gets bored easily. You can teach a few tricks and commands very succesfully but they can get easily fed up with a task when they can't see the point in doing it. They also seem to have many wolf characteristics in the breed including shyness of strangers, fear of new things etc.

I have two Saarloos but the Cwds I have met are much more 'willing' and open, I think the Cwd is probably an easier dog to live with and to enjoy trainning with. What does anyone else think?
loup-de-bretagne jest offline   Reply With Quote