Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Off topic

Off topic About everything and about nothing - way how to pleasantly spent your free time...

Old 17-12-2007, 21:32   #1
Dacota

Default Are these books good?

Hi everybody!

I come from Germany, I'm 18 years old, and I have a question for you.
Is there anybody who knows these books:
"Wolf Hybrid" by Dorothy Prendergast
and
"Living with Wolfdogs - An Everyday Guide to a Lifetime Companionship"
"Wolfdog A-Z - Behaviour, Training & More" both books by Nicole Wilde.

I'm very interested in your opinions, whether it's worth to buy, because
I want to like to buy one of these books (or do you know a better one?) to my birthday .
I must add, that I have a lot of experiences with dogs and wolfdogs, too.
So I'm not a beginner.

Excuse me for my language, english is not my best.

Greetings,

Patricia
Dacota jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 00:08   #2
Mirkawolf

Send a message via ICQ to Mirkawolf Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkawolf

I have "Living with Wolfdogs" by Nicole Wilde. Nice book, but she speaks about wolf-hybrids (aka crosses of wolves and huskies or German shepherds) of high wolf-blood content.
The book can tell you something, what to expect from living with high wolf blood contect wolf-hybrid, but it will not tell you anything about Czechoslovakian wolfdogs.
Nicole Wilde is American and she has no idea, as far as I am concerned, about existence of dog breed such as Czechoslovakian wolfdog, neither the wolfdogs she speaks about, have anything to do with our breed.

If you are thinking about getting Czechoslovakian wolfdog, there are much better books available. They will not be about Czechoslovakian wolfdogs either, but when it comes to understanding the dog behaviour, psychics and emotions, they will be great.
I´d recommend highly books by Patricia McConnell book - "The Other End of the Leash", which is truly excellent. And also her other book "For the love of a dog". These books will change your mind, will help you understand why dogs do what they do and how we can communicate with them to make them do what we want.

I am affraid there is no book about Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs as such in English at the moment.

Or if you are looking for books more about wolves, some good were written by L. David Mech. We have "The Wolf: The Ecology and Behaviour of an Endangered Species" and it is really good book for anyone who wants to know about wolves.
Old 18-12-2007, 18:28   #3
Dacota

@ Mirkawolf

Thank you a lot for your help!

However I don’t want to get a Czechoslovakian Wolfdog at the moment, because
I have two wonderful dogs (go to expositions, do several kind of sports, so they’re in training). One of them is exactly such a wolfdog (female). The other one is a Hovawart (German breed; male).
That’s why I said, I don’t belong to the beginners. This passion I haven’t
since yesterday. I think since I can read and write in school.
When the time comes, I also want to breed the beautiful Czechoslovakian Wolfdog. But not until I have the best possibilities to raise the puppies.
My chamber is full of books by famous scientists like Elli Radinger, Günther Bloch, Erik Zimen, Eberhard Trumler, Dr. Dorit Feddersen-Petersen, Konrad Lorenz etc.
They describe excellent the dog and wolf behaviour, psychics and emotions.
Either about wolves or about dogs, but nothing directly about wolfdogs / wolf-hybrids.
It’s really sad there is no book about our breed. So I should think of becoming a journalist to write a book
Beside the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog I am also interested in other wolfdogs like
the American one, because of the high wolf-blood content. So the book by Nicole Wilde could be the right for me. I’ll see.

If anyone has opinions of these books too, please let me know :-)

Regards,
Patricia
Dacota jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 23:44   #4
Mirkawolf

Send a message via ICQ to Mirkawolf Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkawolf

I see. You did not mention, what kind of books you are really looking for, so that´s why I spoke mainly about Czechoslovakian wolfdogs, as this is forum about them mostly.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:34   #5
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Hello Dacota

Yes the books you mention whit Nicole are both very good, if you are interested in American Wolfdogs or Hybrides, I have both this books.

But I recomend that you get a CsW instead whit Pedigree if you wont to be a breeder in the future and no American Wolfdog, Hybride or mixt Wolfdog.

It might sound cooler to have a hybride but in realety it is not !

Best Regards / Mikael
Mikael jest offline   Reply With Quote