Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Off topic

Off topic About everything and about nothing - way how to pleasantly spent your free time...

Old 14-08-2010, 20:17   #1
rivals

Default Introduction

I registered the other day and thought that I'd post a thread as an introduction. Vicky recommended these forums to me recently and I'm in love with this breed and the amount of good information around here. It's amazing to see a single place with so many people who are involved in the breed making sure that the breed stays healthy and trying to do the best for it. My favorite breeds are Huskies and GSDs so obviously nothing like this really exists considering all of the backyard breeders and the work vs show debate (especially here in the US). I plan on getting a Vlcak down the road, but not for a while. From everything I've been reading they seem to have the traits I love the most from both of my choice breeds, they really seem like the perfect dog for me. I'd love to have a chance to meet one so over the next few months I'm going to try to find one preferably here in California to meet and spend some time with. I always wanted a GSD as my next dog so I could do trailing and SchH with it.

As a little backstory I currently have a ~4 year old Husky and a 1 1/2 year old Pit/Border Collie mix. We started doing an introductory nosework/trailing class with them a couple months ago and are going to continue on with it since they both love it. I was going to start training my Husky to pull so we could start doing skijoring/mushing activities but we got him a check up right before buying the harness and equipment and we found out that he had severe hip dysplasia (we adopted him almost a year ago). The last few months have been an adjustment finding better ways to exercise him and lots of beach trips, glucosamine, and pain relievers.

I just wanted to say that I think this is a great community and I've spent pretty much my entire last 2 weeks reading the threads and articles I've found through this board. I look forward to learning even more about the breed and potentially having one myself I plan on doing a lot of sports and activities with it, and I'd like to get into mushing as well. I know I saw Mikael post pictures of pulling with their dogs, do Vlcaks take to this well?
rivals jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 00:48   #2
Vicky

Hi rivals, it's good to see you here! I'm sure other people will chime in, but Hanka does a lot of mushing with her dogs, too:
Old 15-08-2010, 07:26   #3
rivals

Those videos are amazing! I'm really hoping to get Kaidan out to (what I think is) his first snow this year. I'm sad that we can't do any pulling but I'm sure he'll have a blast regardless.
Old 15-08-2010, 11:29   #4
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Hello and welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivals View Post
I know I saw Mikael post pictures of pulling with their dogs, do Vlcaks take to this well?
I would say one can pull whit them, but they are not bred for it...
Some CsV pull good, some very good and some do not want to pull at all

If you just want to much for fun, I think they are OK.

Very best regards / Mikael
Old 15-08-2010, 14:59   #5
Silvester

Originally posted by Mikael:

"Some CsV pull good, some very good and some do not want to pull at
all "

Yeah, that´s right - it´s like the people who are writing here ....some do regularly and interesting some rather seldom , some have good information background , others are newcomers - and some can obviously only tell nonsence, provocations or simply rubbish...

Greetings from Germany !
Silvester jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 20:22   #6
Hanka

Send a message via ICQ to Hanka Send a message via Skype™ to Hanka

Hi Rivals, yes, some wolfdogs are good for it, some a little and some are not good for mushing. I have more dogs, but some are "too lazy" or mushing is not fun for them. If they don´t work with pleasure I don´t force them. Some my dogs like mushing, but they are slow in team or they have not energy for longer ways....
If you want wolfdog for mushing, you must choose puppy from good parents (for mushing).
But you must know: wolfdogs are not quick sprinters. Mushing is for wolfdog owners only hobby, fun. So races for short trails is not good for them. You will be always last .
Maybe you will have chance in races for looong distance. But I am not sure.
Try it and write me.....
Hanka jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 22:20   #7
rivals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
If you just want to much for fun, I think they are OK.

Very best regards / Mikael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanka View Post
But you must know: wolfdogs are not quick sprinters. Mushing is for wolfdog owners only hobby, fun. So races for short trails is not good for them. You will be always last .
Maybe you will have chance in races for looong distance. But I am not sure.
Try it and write me.....
Thank you guys for the information! When I get around to getting a CsV, the mushing would be strictly a fun hobby (assuming the dog finds it fun as well )