Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Breeding

Breeding Information about breeding, selection, litters....

Old 27-05-2010, 01:27   #1
Gypsy Wolf

Default Foundation dogs in a pedigree & genetic effects

Hi all,
I am studying pedigrees to try to learn as much as I can about our breed (at least until the English translation of the Karel Hartl book gets here!!!) and I see some heavy breeding on certain dogs and wonder how much effect that has on the current generation's inheritance... for instance, in Luna's pedigree (she is listed as Aurora del Mango Galomy Oaks) in her 7th and 8th generations, there is a LOT of breeding on Rep z Pohranicni Straze. I am not great on the math regarding pedigrees, but with so many "bricks" by that dog in Luna's "foundation" I would think she technically, gets a good amount of genetic material from Rep, even though he is further back?
How far do vlccak breeders study the foundation genetics? I know, in some breeds, heavy line-breeding, even far back, is considered when evaluating pedigrees. I also know quite a few breeders who really only look at the immediate generations...
Would love to hear opinions/ideas/thoughts...
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 09:48   #2
Rona
Distinguished Member

From what I've heard, Rep was a very good looking CSV, extremely wolfish and with perfect proportions. He was used a lot in Slovakia to standardize the breed appearance. Before Rep working drive was the major breeding criterion. Nobody in the army was interested what the dogs looked like as long as they passed their exams and performed OK on the borders .

As everything in life, the strong inbreed on Rep had it's positive and negative effects. The positive - there was high number of dogs that looked similar, so it was possible to register the breed. Negative - serious destructions of the "lines" that breeding committees in the countries of origin are now trying to re-establish. Just to be on a safe side in case of a mutation or spreading of some genetic disease.

This is a very simplified answer to your question, I’m sure the issue was much more complicated and there are people who know more about it.

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 15:36   #3
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Well, in response to the genetic effects..

It's not surprising to me that unfortunately while there was a small selection of wolves used in the foundation of the breed, overall the breed's health is affected by largely GSDs, which IMHO is one of the most health-plagued breeds there are.

Don't think that back then there was the possibility of limiting DM, and while there is the possibility now, many GSD breeders don't even test for it because it's become so embedded in all lines that it wouldn't mean much for their breeding choices.

While its entirely possible that wolves may have bad hips, a part of me says that bad hips in Vlcaks can largely be attributed to their GSD lineage, which popular stud syndrome may or may not have excerbated.

As always, linebreeding and tightly breeding small groups establishes 'type' and can be helpful to eliminate certain unwanted traits, yet can also stabilize unwanted traits into a breed as well, sometimes unknowingly until generations later.

It's nothing special to Vlcaks, I'm sure you know, though. It's all part and parcel of the art of purebred dogs.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 18:46   #4
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Aurora del Mango Galomy Oak ( Luna ) is to young to be in elf’s statistic software, but yes she is 8,7% Rep z as I understand on (ALL) generations, mathematically.

You can see some info here in the database >>> http://www.wolfdog.org/php/modules.php?op=modload&name=WolfdogDB&file=wright& lan=eng&wid=12489&maxdepth=99

She has very low COI % on 5 generations in the WD database it say 2,1% on 5 g.
( The recommended value on 5 g is maximum 10% as I anderstand )

You can look for more info in the softwere on Hronsek and Anthea...

The CsV statistic tool >>> http://www.amicale-chien-loup-tcheco...gi-bin/form.py

Best regards / Mikael

Last edited by Mikael; 27-05-2010 at 21:17. Reason: ...
Mikael jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 21:44   #5
elf

Hi,

You can still use the tool with the parents and + operator, you need to enter 9143+9076 in dog ID, for exemple: http://www.amicale-chien-loup-tcheco...id=9143%2B9076

A.
elf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 17:25   #6
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukidomari View Post
It's not surprising to me that unfortunately while there was a small selection of wolves used in the foundation of the breed, overall the breed's health is affected by largely GSDs, which IMHO is one of the most health-plagued breeds there are.
Well, the health problems we know now in GSDs might be new enought and not affect the GSDs 50 or more years ago It seems like a good topic to study

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote