Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Breed standard & bonitations

Breed standard & bonitations How typical CzW should look like, measurements and commentaries to the breed standard, information about bonitations and youth presentations....

Old 28-07-2008, 04:41   #1
Lycaon

Default Puppy Standards?

I wasn't sure where to post this question other than in the breed standards. If it is in the wrong place, I am sorry. My question is upon what standards do you look for in a young puppy. Personally I can see the breed standards in the young adult dogs and adult dogs. I can see the firm and dry R types. But when I look at an 8week old puppy.... I see cute. I can't judge angulation or ears or anything else for that matter. I could see the bite is proper and proportions possibly. Personality is most important for me, and health, after that I'd be pretty happy and lost about what to look for.
I am not an owner yet but I do wish to be. I am not looking to breed or show but if my puppy turned out exemplary I would definitely not rule it out. Still, since I am not around lots of puppies I simply can't see the distinctions. Is there some rules that breeders go by that they can see these differences in the little ones. Honestly they all look so adorable and I have seen some funny looking puppy ears turn out quite pretty and of standard when the dog matures. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Samantha
Lycaon jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 11:33   #2
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Hi, puppies indeed develop a lot, so it is hard to see what will become of them. You can see what they basic color will be like (more silver, more red, or intermediate), and some already have mask at that age. Bite can change with age, as does eye color, so I wouldn't count on what you see there.
I think when choosing puppy you should put most preference for the character, that's the most important thing. Buying only for show is not good and I would think not twice but twenty times before selling to somebody who asks only for looks.
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote