Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Breeding

Breeding Information about breeding, selection, litters....

Old 19-01-2007, 00:20   #21
roo

Hi,

I live in the US and just imported a puppy from a great breeder in Slovakia. I must say that I was very concerned about the long trip for the puppy. However, I would like to share that she arrived via Lufthansa in excellent condition - I could not have been more satisfied. All in all it is not an easy trip for a puppy, but as we all know each dog is different with their own unique personality, just as each trip and experience will be different (some trips may go better than others). Also check with your vet before, explain the situation, and give him as much information and references as you can as this breed is not well known. Most vets will have no problem, once educated, but it is better to be safe.
roo jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 19:45   #22
Kev8551

Default CSW in the United States / Canada?

I'm very interested in this breed.

not to show them. not to breed them. but they are beautiful animals. when my German Sheperd Dog goes to Doggy Heaven, i am very seriously thinking about getting one.

do they like to live inside? do they like going horseback riding? do they like kids? other animals?

most of the answers i've heard are YES.

now the big one.

Are there any laws prohibiting them in the US?

Are there any clubs near the US?
Kev8551 jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 20:45   #23
Hanka

Send a message via ICQ to Hanka Send a message via Skype™ to Hanka

Kev. come to summer trip to Czech republic. You can choose from muuuuuch wolfdogs
In USA are owners only, not breeders. In Canada is one "breeder", but I think , his wolfdogs have not HIP dysplasia results and bonitations.
Hanka jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 23:16   #24
Kev8551

thanks, both of you, for replying.

as of right now, as i said, we have a big German Sheperd that thinks he is one of our kids, and i guess he is.

when he does leave us, hopefully a while from now, i just might have to make a trip to the summercamps.

what happens at the camps?

how lost would i be speaking only english?

thanks again.
Kev8551 jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:43   #25
Koos

Hi Kev,

I am from Holland and of course I don't speak the Czech or Slovak language too, so we speak or German or English.

At the beginning it is a littlebit difficult to know which person is speaking another language but after a few days you will meet some people.

When it is possible we go there every year and there are a lot of people there to train with the dogs and possibly do exams with the dogs but most of the time you are free to do what you want. Will you go for a walk, you can go, will you train with your dog, you can do, will you sleep with yor dog, you can do. It is a summerholliday for most of them.

And there is also something organized to go to some places in the surrounding or a night safari in on of the most beautiful zoo's.
This is in Czech republique.

Sometimes there will be a little show and a bonitation in the last days of the camp and also a bonitation in Slovakia.

The summercamp in Slovakia is really holliday. In the morning and in the evening there is some training and you can part of it and at the rest of the day you can do what you want to do. There it is one big family and in the evening there will be a fire the whole evening and even the night through with mostly a lot of beer.

But at both camps you can talk with other people and when there is someone who doesn't speak another language there will be another person to translate so you allways can communicate.

This is shortly what you can do an both camps are in a wonderfull surrounding so it is really summerholliday.

( I speak about the summercamp in Lazne Belohrad but there are some other camp in Czech Republique)

I hope you got an impression of what the possibilities are in such a camps,

Letty
Koos jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 18:28   #26
wolfangel

Hi Kev,
From a recent post to the AKC last week... actually NO CSV is register there. All owners I contacted still don't have their wolfdog.
There is ONLY one breeder in North America : Wolfen kennel.
He produced only one litter end 2004 and did not produced others for two reasons : first the breeder wanted to obtain full recognition of the breed in Canada (his country), second he wants official reservations because he don't sell puppies via newspapers or pet shops.
All his puppies are sold under a co-ownership agreement to protect the breed against puppymills. All BREEDING stock is clear for hip+elbow dysplasia + eye diseases prior to be use in his breeding program.
All dogs are raw fed and holistically reared.
For futher details please contact me privately and I'll give you the breeder's information.

Good luck in your search!

Never argue with idiots.
They drag you down to their level,
then beat you with experience.
wolfangel jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2007, 22:46   #27
roo

Hi Kev8551,

As you can see, there is a lot of information here on this breed and many, many nice people who are more than glad to help answer any questions. I definitely recommend learning as much as you can about the breed and if you can swing a trip to Czech or Slovakia, you are likely to learn a great deal more (as well as make several great friends).

I imported a CSV into the U.S. last year, and she will be a year old this week. I can confirm the answers to your questions:

do they like to live inside? - Sure, but they also love lots of exercise and the outdoors. Mine has made "her" spot at the foot of our bed every night.

do they like going horseback riding? You bet (just not ON the horse...)

do they like kids? Mine seems to like the way they taste (just kidding!), but she will lick the their cheeks raw with kisses if they let her.

do they like other animals? -She was a little spooked around acttle at first, but she's fine now. She loves her big sister (a german shephard mix already in our family). She really, really like chasing and catching lizards...

With regards to laws in the U.S., that will be a State or local issue. But, I have had no problems and am not aware of any state issue since they are a recognized breed by the FSS of AKC and are NOT wolf hybrids.

I am not aware of any clubs in the U.S., as I believe there are currently less than 20 CSW's distributed all over the country. But, there has been talk of the owners setting a date and place to get together.

Please feel free to contact me anytime or PM me if you would like to discuss this really beautiful and unique (though sometimes challenging) breed further.

Robert
Louisiana
roo jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 16:30   #28
wolfangel

WOW! If there is at least 20 CSV in USA, all must be AKC-FSS registered soon....

To help us, Canadian and American owners, to meet each other and exchange information easier...
I just created a group and invite all USA and CDN owners to join the group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CDNUSA_CSV/

I think that group can be a good place to work for the full recognition of the breed in each side of the border

And yes CSV LOVES indoors and to be part of the family...
If properly socialized they love kids and are eager to play with them.

Never argue with idiots.
Old 29-10-2007, 20:12   #29
hanninadina

Send a message via Skype™ to hanninadina

CSW is a breed which is breed in FCI worldwide and they are allowed in US and CANADA why not? A halfsister of my Myla Crying Wolf from first litter - Frida Crying wolf - is living in the Us. Look in data base and contact them.Good luck. And I think you can get from europe one.Christian
hanninadina jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2007, 23:11   #30
wolfangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanninadina View Post
CSW is a breed which is breed in FCI worldwide and they are allowed in US and CANADA why not?

Unfortunately, because of its French & English name's translation (Chien-Loup & Wolfdog) some states may refused the CSV.

In Canada and in most US states, it is against the law to own an hybrid...

I perfectly know that the CSV should be considered as a dog and not directly as an hybrid but some states' shelter inspectors & gouvernement inspectors may put a CSV owner in lot of trouble.... As an example, a law against all dogs of pitt bull type exist in Ontario and a retired couple needed to pay lot of lawyer expenses when their animal control inspector made a complain against them because they "owned" a dog of that type. In fact the dog was a Labrador !!!!!!

In North America some inspectors are not so good and easy to deal with. Every US owners should be sure of their states law to avoid problem.
Also as soon as all CSV in US will be AKC-FSS registered, owners will have a proof of their dog's origin as a dog .... not a direct hybrid.

There is too many kinds of hybrids in US and most are not legally owned.... this hybrid popularity play a bad role on the CSV future.

It is for me like the American Staff and Pittbull relation. Now that Pittbull (not a rcognized breed) is considered as dangerous and so many laws are against that type of dog, AmStaff are also putted in the same bag.
I wish to never see that happening in the CSV... with all hybrids in USA and Canada that are considered dangerous...

On the market there is so many false papers goind on and there so maybe the officials will not recognized a foreign pedigree... specially in a foreign language than English!

The way to obtain the AKC-FSS registration is really simple : two photos of the dog, the copy of its pedigree and $30.

Not always easy to deal with North American bureaucratic

Never argue with idiots.
Old 27-07-2008, 22:56   #31
Lycaon

Default Another family in the US wishing to find a CsW

Hi my name is Samantha and I too am looking to find one of these magnificent dogs. I have done much research over the past four months. After reading the forums I am a little worried about buying a pup without meeting its family (humans and dogs) first. I have four girls from ages 14 to 4. It is just me and them with our rescued dogs and cats, a parrot, two guinea pigs, and a few laying hens. I used to own horses but I had to choose between the cost of the children and the horses. My great grandparents are from the same general region as these animals and I would not be against visiting the Czech Republic but we would have to save up a lot of money (I think) to make such a trip. The camps sound like great fun and since my eldest daughter and I love to hike and camp every chance we get, it would be a perfect vacation. I have never been overseas nor shipped anything there but I have wanted to visit the places of my family's origin for many years: Hungary, Czech Republic, and Germany. We have friends who moved back home to Belgium not too long ago and my daughter thinks Italian men are hunks...I will say no more.
I already own a very shy rescued dog and we adopted her when she was only 5 weeks old. She loves us very much but it is a constant struggle to work with her since she is scared of everyone and everything. The only punishment she has ever needed is a harsh word and she is on her back begging for forgiveness before you finish saying no. The other rescued dog is small and aggressive with strangers but she is not much of a deterent or protector since the most she could do is bite their feet. She has the most dominant personality of any dog or horse I have ever owned, but we have come to an understanding of who the alpha is.
I do not want an aggressive dog, nor a shy one. I want a family companion that is playful and loving and full of mischief like my children. One who loves us so much that if an intruder came into the home he would protect us as I called the police and then helped him out. (if I could) I have considered the Tamaskan breed but I have been told they are somewhat shy.
I truly believe the environment a dog is raised in, the moment they are born, is very important. Which is why I fear simply shipping a dog overseas unless it is a very reputable breeder who is experienced in placing the right pup with the right family. My family is full of female humans and animals that would all adore a sweet loving male pup. I only worry that because I have a shy dog the pup would take on some of the older dog's personality. I have never found this to be true with other dogs I have owned but each breed is different and young dogs sometimes emulate the older ones. You all could be most helpful in that regard.
Our state regulations in North Carolina are a bit relaxed. In fact the only real regulations are that animals with a certain high percentage of wolf blood require a license to own. After speaking with our vet, she told me that they like to have the animal's paperwork to determine what vaccinations, etc. work best. They see a lot of wolf hybrids and there are quite a few in local shelters without hope of adoption due to their aggressive behavior.
I am sorry this is so long, but I wanted you all to know what kind of family we are and that we are serious about this. Money is a bit of an issue but I am in no great hurry. Especially since this is a family member we are looking for. I have plenty of time to make the right decision and save up the money for a trip or shipping. Thank you for reading this very long post I will be keeping track of summer events for next year as well as talking to the airlines and state department guidelines.
Lycaon jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 06:32   #32
Hanka

Send a message via ICQ to Hanka Send a message via Skype™ to Hanka

Hello Samantha,
write me to my privat adress, I can write you adress of my "american owner" of my puppy Polo. He can write you about some experiences and problems in living with wolfdog puppy in US. I hope, it can be good for you before buying of puppy.
Hanka jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 20:43   #33
wolfangel

Default For Samantha

Hi Samantha
I just answered your private email sent to my husband.
I also can say that one breeder is now in Virginia state. Her two CSV are not fully mature yet but she plan her first litter somewhere end 2009 starting 2010. If you contact her, you may have a good chance to meet few CSV in US.... she organize several CSV meeting there. Last one, there was 6 CSV....

Nothing is better to see the breed in reality and meet some to know if the breed suit our needs and expectations.

Wolfangel (jojo)

Never argue with idiots.
Old 14-10-2008, 03:52   #34
cjacobs

Default Breeder on US

These dogs are absolutely gorgeous, the idea dog for which I've been searching.

I live in New York state, about 70 miles from Manhattan. Is there an authentic breeder near me, or can anyone tell me what my options are?

Thank you for any help!

Craig
cjacobs jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 04:42   #35
Nebulosa

Send a message via ICQ to Nebulosa Send a message via MSN to Nebulosa Send a message via Skype™ to Nebulosa

Hi!
Here you can find the breeders list of your country, t'll now only one.
Have some owners on US too, few time ago the first US CzW owners meeting happen, here is the link.
I hope this help
Old 15-10-2008, 03:57   #36
cjacobs

Thank you Nebulosa! I don't know when we'll get a chance to actually see a CzW, but everyone in my family thinks they are just beautiful dogs.

Craig
cjacobs jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2008, 09:02   #37
leila
http://www.tobrok.sk

Beautiful isn´t everything I know, in your contry is hard to find some of them, but you should see the behavior first... ist difficult to imagine it . Hope you get the chance to see them live, because it´s gorgeous (but not everytome - especially when they do something they had not - open the freezer, steal food, play hunting with cats,... )
good luck

Leila and Gunner
Old 14-04-2010, 06:42   #38
pdmcgrane

Send a message via AIM to pdmcgrane Send a message via MSN to pdmcgrane

Feel free to send me a message if you need any advice in regards to importing a puppy. I received my puppy (Zahara od Uhosti) in late February and she made it through the shipping process just fine. Also, if anyone is in Colorado (Boulder area here) and is interested in the breed and would like to meet her- feel free to write! [email protected]
pdmcgrane jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 15:05   #39
lupis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanka View Post
Kev. come to summer trip to Czech republic. You can choose from muuuuuch wolfdogs
Roo ask for breeder in Slovakia. Czech dogs are very much strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmcgrane View Post
Feel free to send me a message if you need any advice in regards to importing a puppy. I received my puppy (Zahara od Uhosti) in late February and she made it through the shipping process just fine.
If you look for dog for breeding i will not import it. Definitely best dogs you find in some kennel in slovakia, italy, germany and poland. not all sure but most. one in france.
in czech is very much hard to find normal pup. all dogs are very much shephard, same swiss i see.
lupis jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2010, 01:19   #40
Gypsy Wolf

Well, now there is a breeder in the U.S.!!! Marcy Goldstone of Galomy Oaks in Virginia.
I was lucky enough to be able to co-own the only female in the first litter born in the United States... thank you again, Marcy! Luna is a total force of nature but we love her and I am totally enjoying watching her grow and learn - even if what she is learning is sometimes naughty...!!!
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote