Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Wolves and wolfdogs

Wolves and wolfdogs All about animals similar to CzW... Information about other Wolfdogs: Saarloos Wolfhound, Lupo Italiano...

Old 05-08-2010, 10:23   #1
Nebelwölfe

Send a message via ICQ to Nebelwölfe Send a message via Skype™ to Nebelwölfe
Default Petition for protection for the wolves in Switzerland

Right now, in canton Valais in Switzerland a wolf is given free for being shot, because it killed some sheep - although the wolf is strictly protected.

Now there is a petition for protection of the wolves in Switzerland. Here the translation, if you would like to join in:

In Switzerland, there are currently about 10,000 sheep farmers who care for approximately 420,000 sheep. Around 250,000 of them as well as further 20,000 goats pasture in the Alps during summer, less than half of them are herded.

A WWF study sais, that - paradoxically - each season, at average about 5% - or about 12,000 sheep - have an accident in the mountains , most of them because they are not supervised by the sheep farmers and shepherds. They die of disease, chasms, rocks, fences, lighting, dog tears, injuries, etc.

2009 there were 11 different wolves in Switzerland, in 2008 there were 20 wolves. In 2008 177 "animals" were torn by wolves, in the current year 2010 - until 27/07/2010 -, exactly 54 sheep.

For more than 98% of all sheep that died in the last years during the summer grazing in the mountains, the wolf cannot be held responsible!

Under current law the wolf is a strictly protected species. Kills are allowed by law only in exceptional cases, in particular loss of endowed animals. But the exemption has long been the rule in Switzerland. Switzerland has one of the highest wolf kill rates in Europe, even higher than in most countries where wolves are hunted.

A permit for hunting wolves is issued according to law if he kills 25 sheep in one month or 35 within four months. Therefore, in the canton Valais have been hunted and killed several wolves - this, even though the wolf is under national law and international conventions (Bern Convention) a strictly protected animal.

The sheep breeders, however, are still not satisfied and ask for even more liberal regime in the shooting wolves. Of course there are also the hunters who make “bad mood” here.

Swiss population cares very much about lynx and wolves. A survey by “Pro Natura” shows, that the majority of it is against the shooting of the predators only for reason of maintaining game and fish population for hunters and fishermen. 72 percent oppose that lynxes or wolves are shot for the reason of asset of deer and chamois remains constant for hunting. Similarly, 69 percent are against the hunting of fish-eating birds for ensuring the crop of the fishermen.

We recommend not to consider any holiday planning in canton Valais, since in this district everything seems to go wrong. While other Swiss cantons as well as Italy have achieved successful herd protection during the last years, it seems that canton Valais is still in the deepest sphere of darkness. It appears the militant government in Sion prefers to kill rather than to implement already provided solutions.

The petition demands that the protection for the wolf (and bear, lynx) is not untightened and that the Bern Convention is fully respected.

Furtheron the petition demands that the public does not have to take over the role of sheep and beef farmers furthermore with direct payments from goverment. Instead farmers have to start to take care for the protection of their animals themselves. Lack of protection of animals must be punished.

Last edited by Nebelwölfe; 05-08-2010 at 10:26.
Nebelwölfe jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 20:39   #2
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Question

I did try to sign, but I can not...

Zip code error...

Please select a state, or leave your zip code blank

But if I live it blank it say...

Your zip or postal code is required

Best regards / Mikael
Old 06-08-2010, 05:55   #3
soniakanavle

Send a message via AIM to soniakanavle

Signed. So sad.
soniakanavle jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 15:36   #4
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Question

I can still not sign, can somebody put up a US state + Zip code for me to use

Best regards / Mikael
Old 07-08-2010, 17:13   #5
soniakanavle

Send a message via AIM to soniakanavle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael View Post

Best regards / Mikael
Montana, 59639
Oregon, 97228
California, 95454

Those are the states I know cause I've lived in them.
Please sign the petition people!!! Poor wolves need our help.
soniakanavle jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 17:17   #6
michaelundinaeichhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael View Post

Best regards / Mikael
Take a German one, that´s closer Bad Dürkheim, 67098

Greetings
Ina
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 17:20   #7
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

I just did sign as a California boy But thanks any way

Best regards / Mikael
Old 11-08-2010, 16:24   #8
Nebelwölfe

It is now known that it must have been a wolfscouple in Valais. A male living there since a while already and a female, known since last year.

The sad news is that the male was shot this morning
http://www.vs.ch/Press/DS_3/CO-2010-...e/P1020518.JPG

Old 12-08-2010, 21:00   #9
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebelwölfe View Post
The sad news is that the male was shot this morning
http://www.vs.ch/Press/DS_3/CO-2010-...e/P1020518.JPG
I´m very sorry to hear this I know the feeling, they did shot wolves here in Sweden to in both 2009 and 2010, but at the moment there is no hunting allowed and in the woods near me there was a litter of 4 puppy´s boarn this spring, this means we now have 6 wolves only 40km from Stockholm city. (City wolves)

Sadly the government say maximum 210 grown wolf´s in Sweden, after that there will be hunting again

Very best regards / Mikael

Last edited by Mikael; 12-08-2010 at 21:03.
Mikael jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 22:12   #10
Nebelwölfe

I will never understand, how and why someone can kill such wonderful animals...

Most likely also the female will be shot sooner or later, if she will kill some sheeps, too. Maybe there are even pups...

Farmers and gouvernment in Valais refuse to protect the herds, they prefer to shoot the wolves. Farmers and hunters there hate the wolves coming in from Italy, they think wolves don't have to be in Switzerland at all.

Therefore it is still important to sign the petition, which goes to Swiss gouvernment.

Old 13-08-2010, 13:30   #11
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebelwölfe View Post
I will never understand, how and why someone can kill such wonderful animals...
I don't understand how can anyone find pleasure in killing any animal. Just now we're in the wild mountain area abundant in deers, hares, wolves, eagles, etc. etc. and the sounds of shots at dawn drive my husband and me literally mad...

We live in a little wooden shack far from human settlements and can feel a pack of wolves around us.... they howl at night sometimes and Lorka joins them shyly... every day we find their poohs rich in fur and remains of their feasts - naked hare and deer bones ... yesterday we took pictures of a big wolf's traces...

....one is compelled to feel great respect for nature in such places ... and believe me, hunters appear even more barbarian than elsewhere!

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote