Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Dog shows

Dog shows Our show successes, how to prepare a CzW, how to show him...

Old 04-11-2010, 23:37   #1
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari
Default Dog Shows in your country.

I am just curious as to whether most members here who show dogs, show by owner-handling. Meaning that the owner is the person who prepares and exhibits the dog. Or, if most people here hire professional handler.

I am wondering because in the American Kennel Club, it's very popular to hire a professional handler and let them exhibit your dog. Sadly, sometimes a good professional handler can take your dog to a top ranking, but if another amateur handler used the same dog, could not.

One of our dogs' breeder is a professional AKC handler for 4-5 breeds. So I know she is always traveling and has put a title on many people's dogs.

But sometimes, professional handling is looked down upon because it can create favoritism from judges, and also it then becomes more a matter of presentation and less a matter of the substance of the dog.

So in the US, there is also the United Kennel Club, which is all owner-handled.

How are dog shows like in everyone else's countries?
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 23:54   #2
Navarre
VIP Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Navarre

The same here in Italy (& Europe too, i think...).
Old 05-11-2010, 00:03   #3
yukidomari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navarre View Post
The same here in Italy (& Europe too, i think...).
I'm sorry, do you mean "same" as in in, owner-handled, or "same" as in, there are lots of professional handlers who are hired?
Old 05-11-2010, 01:28   #4
michaelundinaeichhorn

Don't you "Kermit" the green shoed handler, he travels from Rome to for example Ludwigshafen right into the German hinterland to win a show with a non typical dog, just because of his shoes and his of course brilliant handling...
He's absolutely famous, at least in Europe.

Cheers,
Michael
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:33   #5
yukidomari

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelundinaeichhorn View Post
Don't you "Kermit" the green shoed handler...
He's absolutely famous, at least in Europe.
No, I have never heard of this person. Are you joking, or are you really serious?
Old 05-11-2010, 01:36   #6
Nebulosa

Send a message via ICQ to Nebulosa Send a message via MSN to Nebulosa Send a message via Skype™ to Nebulosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukidomari View Post
No, I have never heard of this person. Are you joking, or are you really serious?
Unfortunately, it's serious, but it's only one reason why show titles means nothing for the breed when we talk about quality or selection.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:40   #7
yukidomari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebulosa View Post
Unfortunately, it's serious, but it's only one reason why show titles means nothing for the breed when we talk about quality or selection.
Good reminder! Also, there needs to be very good breed judges.
Old 06-11-2010, 13:20   #8
Vicky

In the US, CsVs can only be shown in the UKC which requires that the owner shows his or her own dog. So here, in regards to this breed at least, there's no question about it! I personally feel that's the way it should be, too, people should be invested in the results of their own dog and not just pawn it off on a professional handler to become a big winner, especially if that person plans on breeding their dog. You should get to know your own dog's strengths and weaknesses because those are things you need to take into account when breeding. Of course there's a learning curve, and if you've never shown before you're going to take a little longer than a professional to bring out your dog's full potential, but everyone needs to start somewhere!
Old 06-11-2010, 14:12   #9
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Quote:
I am just curious as to whether most members here who show dogs, show by owner-handling. Meaning that the owner is the person who prepares and exhibits the dog. Or, if most people here hire professional handler.

How are dog shows like in everyone else's countries?
Well, in Lithuania mostly people show their own CsV's - maybe it just because they are not crazy about winning dog shows. With other breeds it is much more popular to hire a handler.
I keep thinking, that it would be better if my husbandt would go to the ring with Brukne - in this case she would be looking around to see where I am, and this would make her ears stand, her body tensed, her tail up and eyes shine When I am with her in the ring she seems bored Too relaxed maybe... Nothing new, nothing interesting...
I do not trust other people would handle with her in the ring - especially teenaggers (and there are many amazing teenage handlers!!!). Brukne could simply say "no, I will not go anywhere with you", turn around and go find her family

Last edited by Vaiva; 06-11-2010 at 14:16.
Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 17:00   #10
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

I personally don't like the professional handler thing. Of course, some people exhibit more dogs at once so they need help, but using only handler seems to me like a professional competing at amateur events.

But, as mostly the show titles sell the dogs, most people consider shows as an investment and then of course they hire a handler. I mean, also the looks of the person counts and if you are fat/old/whatever you may feel you do your beautiful dog harm by showing yourself.

Best would be if shows were for fun only, but that is impossible, unfortunately.
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 18:10   #11
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saschia View Post
Best would be if shows were for fun only...

Agree totaly and in Sweden it is very funny to show a Vlcak as the judge probably did newer see one before ;0))))))) And still they might give you a titel ;0)))))))) Loooollll...

I only show for fun and to show the breed to new people. This far I show about one time / year...

Best regards / Mikael
Old 09-11-2010, 00:18   #12
yukidomari

Thanks for all the replies! I was hoping there were some places that emphasized owner-showing too. But I'm glad to read that in some places that is still the normal thing!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:42   #13
Navarre
VIP Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Navarre

Quote:
I'm sorry, do you mean "same" as in in, owner-handled, or "same" as in, there are lots of professional handlers who are hired?

There are professional handlers who are hired and often they are the winners.