Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Meetings and travels

Meetings and travels Huge and small - oficial and private... How and where travel with your CzW...

Old 07-11-2006, 17:16   #1
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia
Default Travel with wolfdogs to Great Britain

Hi all,

does anybody know how is it with travelling with wolfdogs to Great Britain? Does the DEFRA thing apply for that as well? I am thinking about visiting Scotland and maybe working there for couple of months, but I wouldn't go without my wolfdog.
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 21:15   #2
michaelundinaeichhorn

Yes it does apply for that too.
You can try to declare your dog as a shepherd-mix (what isn´t a lye ).

apart from that do you need the antibody titer, an echinococcus and a tick treatment. You can find the details under pet travelling system.

Tatra
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:19   #3
elkr919

hello, i have a similar question, my husband and i have a small chance of moving in 6 months to the UK for about 3 years because of his job. i have come to think it would be very hard to get our CZW into the country without some sort of long quarantine. does anyone have insight for this problem. i know the UK is very picky about animals coming in. I have been on the DEFRA website and didnt know if she was cleared through the PETS program if she would be good to go.....any comment would be greatful.

~Elisa
elkr919 jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:25   #4
Koos

Hello,

It is possible to get a dog into the UK but before you have to take some bloodsamples and these take time for about half a year.

You only can travel into the UK by plane and a few harbours by boat.

I don't know if you need the legalisation of the DEFRA but at this moment a lot of English and Irish people are coming over to show there dogs in Western Europe so it is also possible to go to the UK with yours dogs when you have done the several tests.

Letty
Koos jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:31   #5
Mirkawolf

Send a message via ICQ to Mirkawolf Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkawolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoosLetydeGraaff
Hello,

It is possible to get a dog into the UK but before you have to take some bloodsamples and these take time for about half a year.

Letty
I have a feeling, you forgot about the fact, that CSW´s are non-recognised breed in UK, are considered wolf-hybrid there and as such fall under the Wild Animal Act issued by DEFRA.

Which means, to keep them, you have to have special licence, the dogs must be kept only in accepted facilities and something like walking around with them is impossible.

Please check the facts, before you say something, that could cause lots of problem to other people.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:33   #6
Mirkawolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoosLetydeGraaff
Hello,
Letty
But yes, any other dog, that is not on the list of DEFRA, can go to UK in the way that you say. But that was not the original question, was it.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:31   #7
Koos

Hallo Mirka,

I also wrote that I don't know what the rules are about the DEFRA and I wanted to mention that it takes a long time before you can travel with your dog into the UK.

Maybe the rules from the DEFRA are not so strong when you are there for a holliday or another short time.

Letty
Old 08-11-2006, 13:11   #8
Mirkawolf

No, the rules did not change and there is definatelly no exception.

This is how DEFRA requires to keep (licensed) wolfdogs:

Quote:
5.2 Standard conditions applied to licences:
(Section 1, subsection 6 (a)-(d))
· the animal(s) shall be kept by no other person than the licensee.
· the animal(s) shall be kept at the licensed premises and shall only be moved in such
circumstances as are specified in the licence.
Clearly, nobody will apply to get a license for his CSW, for the time of vacation or short-termed stay. And no one, in his clear mind, would want to keep CSW permanently in cage or small enclosure for all his life, to satisfy DEFRA´s requirements.
Of all things, I believe that surrending to DEFRA and applying for "wild animal license" for a pedigree dog, such as CSW, would be only supporting their misunderstanding of these dogs.

The whole document about keeping wolfdogs (wolf-hybrids, as DEFRA sees it) can be read here:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-cou...s/wolfdogs.pdf
Old 08-11-2006, 14:01   #9
Koos

Mirka,

I fully agree with your arguments and then it is no pleasure to take your CW into the UK.

But also a lot of people don't know, that it takes a long time to travel with a dog or cat into the UK because of the examination of the bloodresults.

Letty
Old 18-11-2006, 02:50   #10
solowolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirkawolf1
No, the rules did not change and there is definatelly no exception.

This is how DEFRA requires to keep (licensed) wolfdogs:

Quote:
5.2 Standard conditions applied to licences:
(Section 1, subsection 6 (a)-(d))
· the animal(s) shall be kept by no other person than the licensee.
· the animal(s) shall be kept at the licensed premises and shall only be moved in such
circumstances as are specified in the licence.
Clearly, nobody will apply to get a license for his CSW, for the time of vacation or short-termed stay. And no one, in his clear mind, would want to keep CSW permanently in cage or small enclosure for all his life, to satisfy DEFRA´s requirements.
Of all things, I believe that surrending to DEFRA and applying for "wild animal license" for a pedigree dog, such as CSW, would be only supporting their misunderstanding of these dogs.

The whole document about keeping wolfdogs (wolf-hybrids, as DEFRA sees it) can be read here:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-cou...s/wolfdogs.pdf
hi i have spoken to defra and they admit not one person that works for them has even seen a czechoslovakian wolfdog, my CSWS travell to and from europe all the time, in october this year i left u.k with my bitch on the pasport, had her mated in Holland and returned to the u.k, there are 14 czechoslovakian wolfdogs in uk all bred by my wife and i NO DOGS IN U.K HAVE LICENSE AND THEY NEVER WILL our fight to get the breed recognised will never stop they are a bred of dog and they will not be kept like dangerous wild animals ///// if you are bringing your csw to u.k email me on czechwolf@btinternet or phone 001233758329 my csws have been in uk for nearly 5 yrs we have bred 2 litters and they are here to stay.....best regards paul winder u.k
solowolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 14:47   #11
Vlkodlak

Hallo, after 4 years, something new for travelling to GB with Czechoslovakian wolfdog? I have a plan to go to GB with my female (now 6 months) in autumn for 3 months (for study), but it is not easy to find informations. My vet told me in Mars, that test on rabies (dog is vaccinated in 3,5 months) can´t be older then 6 months, but in pages of Minister of agriculture I found informationt that this test must be older then 6 months..No informations about special licence for wolfdog hybrids...I would be happy for all infomations, tips, recommandations, experiences, links...
Vlkodlak jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:44   #12
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlkodlak View Post
but in pages of Minister of agriculture I found informationt that this test must be older then 6 months..
Well, if you want to travel to UK from Lithuania with a dog, you need about 7 months in total to prepare all the papers needed. Guess it is just the same for all the EU countries.

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 23:25   #13
hanninadina

Send a message via Skype™ to hanninadina

http://ukwolfdogs.com/home_0.html

Get in contact with Paul (Ronnie). He knows all about csw in england because he lives there and breeds them too.

I know that in great britain from june 2009 all wolfdogs from F 3 - third generation after the wolf - are normal dogs! There was a link on defra´s homepage but they did move. On Pauls homepage is a link but only to the old one. But maybe you will find it from there into the net.

7 month to prepare papers, I can not belive. The titer of rabbies must be made, but now a days it is not so difficult to travel to great britain.

all the best
Christian
hanninadina jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:21   #14
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaiva View Post
Well, if you want to travel to UK from Lithuania with a dog, you need about 7 months in total to prepare all the papers needed. Guess it is just the same for all the EU countries.
Yes, that's basically true for all the listed countries that qualify (Czech is one of them) under the PETS plan. The microchipping, vaccinations, and titer is easy, but there is a 6 month waiting period between the date of blood draw and date of arrival. This is almost the same for almost all countries and regions where rabies is tightly controlled, including Great Britain, Japan, Hawai'i, Australia, etc.

If the 6 month waiting period is not met before travel, quarantine will be carried out upon arrival in the amount of days that are missing from the 6 months. So if it is only 2 months after the titer, your dog can be quarantined for the remaining 4 months at your expense.

We travel regularly to Japan with the dogs and have helped friends travel to AUS and GB before with their dogs.. it's not that difficult but you just have to have all the paperwork.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...avel/index.htm

In rough order, you need to first microchip your dog. Then, the dog must be vaccinated for rabies. Exactly n this order. If your dog does not have a microchip, you will need to have one put in and revaccinate your dog.

A blood titer must then be taken and sent to an EU approved laboratory. The blood test must return a result greater than 0.5Ul/mL. The 6 month waiting period starts from the date of the blood draw, NOT the day when you get your results back.

This is the longest part of traveling to GB. After that, there are some paperwork and preventatives for flea & ticks you have to give, but those don't take a very long time.

There are other requirements, because you can only enter GB through approved routes, that is in the website posted above too, you have to dig around to find it.

Last edited by yukidomari; 05-05-2010 at 02:30.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 16:59   #15
tikaani

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanninadina View Post
http://ukwolfdogs.com/home_0.html

Get in contact with Paul (Ronnie). He knows all about csw in england because he lives there and breeds them too.

I know that in great britain from june 2009 all wolfdogs from F 3 - third generation after the wolf - are normal dogs! There was a link on defra´s homepage but they did move. On Pauls homepage is a link but only to the old one. But maybe you will find it from there into the net.

7 month to prepare papers, I can not belive. The titer of rabbies must be made, but now a days it is not so difficult to travel to great britain.

all the best
Christian

here is the updated link to defra, it was 2008 when they chainged the law, alowing them over here.http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/wildlife/protect/dwaa/hybrid.htm..
tikaani jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 21:17   #16
tupacs2legs
rookie

Send a message via ICQ to tupacs2legs

hi

you will need to apply for a 'pet passport' under the p.e.t.s scheme.

microchip
rabies vacination(we do two)
rabies titre bloodtest (30 days after vacine)

when the results of the bloodtest have come back(with an acceptable titre) a passport will be issued.

you will be able to re-enter your country from 6 months after the bloodtest.

it is important to keep the rabies vaccination up to date,as if even a day late,the passport is invalid,and you have to start the whole process over again

good luck
tupacs2legs jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:04   #17
valentina
e la zecca Misha

HTML Code:
you will need to apply for a 'pet passport' under the p.e.t.s scheme.
and the quarantine?
Old 10-12-2010, 18:05   #18
Vlkodlak

Default afrer 7 months

Hello, thanks for answers. I have now certificate about rabies older then 6 months and I hope all veterinary needs. I would like to go after new yer-for 3 months. But the second big problem is with accommodation. I need short time (3 months) and with big dog. Has anybody some ideas how to find accommodation with dog? (e.g. some www pages for dog owners..), becouse generally pets are not allowed. Thanks so much on more..
Old 23-12-2010, 01:59   #19
koboldine

Hi,
where do you want to live? GB isn´t that small, is it?
Do you travel with one or two dogs?
Did you apply to PETS?

The certificate is some kind of tricky - as long as you vaccinate rabies annually (according to the date of vaccination before the blood sample has been drawn) - one can keep it valid...

kind regards
koboldine

Last edited by koboldine; 23-12-2010 at 02:02.
koboldine jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 14:20   #20
Vlkodlak

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboldine View Post
Hi,
where do you want to live? GB isn´t that small, is it?
Do you travel with one or two dogs?
Did you apply to PETS?

The certificate is some kind of tricky - as long as you vaccinate rabies annually (according to the date of vaccination before the blood sample has been drawn) - one can keep it valid...

kind regards
koboldine
Hi, in first time I have not been succesfull with accommodation. The second essay-in spring period (start of Avril till end of June). I have only one dog, female used to live in flat and during the day in kennel (near of my laboratory). I need to be in Colchester (University of Essex). I tried some possibilities - rent flat, share flat or house, stationary caravan, mobile caravan...but in using internet-no succes yet. I did not find in internet a possibility to rent a kennel (for example) in Colchester. During the night I can sleep in tent (it´s only for 3 months, don´t worry about quality of accommodation), but for dog I need minimally some kennel for "stock" her when I will work. The tolerance of my chief is not eternal. If somebody could help me with a contact or some idea I will be happy. Thanks Jana and Ypérite