Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Breeding

Breeding Information about breeding, selection, litters....

Old 01-02-2012, 07:29   #1
Ash

Default Shipping a Czech Wolfdog

Hi I am considering buying a czech wolfdog from either czech republic or slovakia due to the fact that where I live theres only 1 breeder and I want more options. Do you think I have a chance getting one with pedigree and being shipped to Mexico for 1500 euros?....this considering all expenses...pre vet, documentation *if any) food for the flight and flight cost and of course puppy and any other costs that might be needed to pay. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Ash; 01-02-2012 at 07:35.
Ash jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:27   #2
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Of course you have a chance of getting a Czechoslovakian Vlcak priced cheap, but the only problem would be that you probably should be searching for quality over price. Having a pedigree is probably the very least, the base minimum, of that.

All told, it's at least around 300 euro alone for cargo services on a size 2 crate and a small-medium dog, at least between N. America and points in Europe when I last checked several years ago.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:48   #3
Mist
www.steelmaker.cz

I think you will need more money. Puppy is cca 700-1000 Euro. Last year I searched for cargo service from Prague to Athens - it was cca 500 Euro. So probably to your country it will be much more expensive. Maybe is cheaper to come to pick up the puppy by yourself and take it on board with you.
First you should check, if you can bring the puppy to your country, how old the puppy has to be, what documents and vaccination you need etc.
Old 01-02-2012, 15:15   #4
Shadowlands

I agree with Mist - you would be much better to travel to Europe to collect your puppy. Freight charges are much higher than those for accompanied pets plus it would be less stressful for the puppy to have the same face say goodbye in Europe as says hello in Mexico Personally, we would NEVER send a puppy by freight to anywhere (I have many friends who have had first hand experience of it going badly wrong ).
Shadowlands jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 17:07   #5
tupacs2legs
rookie

Send a message via ICQ to tupacs2legs

Hi

As said price should not be the deciding factor,also I would of thought these questions would be better asked to your chosen breeder along with many others.

Oh and if u are thinking of a slovakian pup it might be best if u didn't shorten the name to czech

Good luck , could be exciting times ahead
tupacs2legs jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 17:27   #6
Nebulosa

Send a message via ICQ to Nebulosa Send a message via MSN to Nebulosa Send a message via Skype™ to Nebulosa

Would be great if you import a pup paying attention to the blodline of him, the breeding in mexico is quite new and good imports can help the breeding developement in your country a lot.
Also another good thing is study about the breed and whats going on before import your pup, mainly now, when we have several breedings breeding mixes (non pure CzW) with fake pappers, also that those people are willing to send dogs to foreing countries.

A good breeder will not easily accept to sell a pup to you.
Old 02-02-2012, 17:01   #7
Ash

First of all thank you a lot for all the answers , this is my first time buying this kind of puppy (if you haven't noticed hehe).

Could you help me know which breeders offer quality and are trusthworthy in Czech Republic or Slovakia , I am looking forward to go pick it up myself.

Also other than the lineage what should I be looking at ?.

Thanks a lot, great forum and a great community.

Last edited by Ash; 02-02-2012 at 20:47.
Ash jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 21:12   #8
Shadowlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebulosa View Post

A good breeder will not easily accept to sell a pup to you.
A very valid point and one you should not ignore Good breeders want to know everything about you (including your inside leg measurement - only joking ) and will not easily accept sending a puppy so far away from home. Be prepared to be asked a LOT of questions (very intimate ones too) - if you are not, then try another breeder

Also, don't forget about health issues - reputable breeders will be having all their breeding stock tested for DM and most now test all the puppies in a litter - if they have not (and the results will appear on the database if they have), again, consider another breeder.

Good luck with your research, your search and hopefully with your new puppy And always remember, the breed name is the CZECHOSLOVAKIAN Wolfdog (and do not shorten it unless to initials CsV or CzW)
Old 04-02-2012, 00:31   #9
michaelundinaeichhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupacs2legs View Post

Oh and if u are thinking of a slovakian pup it might be best if u didn't shorten the name to czech

michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 00:50   #10
Nebulosa

Send a message via ICQ to Nebulosa Send a message via MSN to Nebulosa Send a message via Skype™ to Nebulosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post

Also other than the lineage what should I be looking at ?.
The breeder should pay atention to hips and elbows displasy in his selection, as he should be informed about DM and have a plan for work with it fitting with the breed situation in his place.
A good breeder will also not use show titles as proof of quality, because he will be informed enough to know that show titles mean simply nothing to the breed selection.
A good breeder will never have perfect dogs, he will always know the problems which exist in the lines he is working with, in his dogs and he should see no problems to talk about it openly.
Old 04-02-2012, 14:44   #11
Mist
www.steelmaker.cz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
...which breeders are trusthworthy in Czech Republic...
Take a look here in Wolfdog at "coming litters" There are many offers. Or in Czech Club of CSW breeders. Find some breeder, who is able to communicate with you (even with translator), because good breeder will want to ask you a lot of questions (it was told here already) and you will also need help with puppy transport back to your country.
Check the airlines conditions - for exampl Czech Airlines says about dog on board: "The animal must be placed in a special crate (max. dimensions 48 x 32 x 29 cm, max. weight of the crate with animal 8 kg)" - 8 kilos is not much and the dimensions also. It is for puppy max. 7 weeks old. Are you allowed to bring such young puppy to your country? Etc., etc....
It is a lot of work to buy a puppy, isn´t it?
Old 04-02-2012, 16:46   #12
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

It is against all airline industry regulations to send a puppy under the age of 8 weeks, some insist that the dog be 10 weeks. Recently, some airlines (maybe the whole airline industry) says that dogs must have a certain clearance above their EARS to travel (which makes the need for a bigger crate with a point-earred dog). I have yet to have an 8 week old CSV puppy that would be small enough to fit under my seat with these regulations (maybe a very small female right at 8 weeks). There are also many regulations on temperature for traveling with a dog - related to hot and cold temperature. Cold is usually easier than hot.
Old 04-02-2012, 21:04   #13
Shadowlands

I doubt any of our puppies would meet the 8kg WITH crate limit at 10 weeks - they are over 5kg at 6 weeks not including the crate! And, as Galomy Oak says, they require a large crate that allows them to stand with clearance above their ears and space to turn around. Accompanied travel is the only way you can transport a CsV puppy.