Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous All about Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs...

Old 07-12-2006, 15:07   #101
Morgaine

I've contacted defra a few weeks ago and today a reply came.
I wrote them about Saarloos wolfdogs but i think it will aply for CZW too.
This is what they wrote:

Dear ....

SAARLOOS WOLFDOG

Thank you for your email of 16 November about enquiring about the wolfdogs in the UK. I have been asked to reply.

The Dangerous Wild Animals Act is currently under review. Following consultations in 2001/2 and 2004, and advice from a panel of experts, changes to the 1976 Act's schedule are now planned for 2007 alongside the Animal Welfare Bill coming into force. Final decisions on the detail of the amendments will be taken at that time. In the meantime, the existing Schedule remains in force.

The Act regulates the keeping of certain kinds of dangerous animals as pets. Licences are required for any animal which appears on a schedule to the Act. Wolf-dog hybrids are not a true species but rather a hybrid of the domestic dog crossed with the wolf. Such animals technically fall within the Act's catch-all listing of all species of Canidae (i.e. the dog family) with certain exceptions such as Canis familiaris, the domestic dog. Our policy is that such animals are included in the Act's listing and therefore require licensing.

In the UK local authorities are responsible for licensing and enforcement under the Act. If an animal is many generations removed from the wolf ancestor and is essentially indistinguishable from a domestic dog in appearance and behaviour, then a local authority might conceivably choose to exercise discretion and regard it as a domestic dog, but this will of course have to be decided by them and not the owner.

With regard to importing an animal into Great Britain that is listed on the schedule to the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976, the owner will need to obtain a licence from the local authority where the wolfdog will be residing before it can be brought into this country. It is the responsibility of the owner or keeper of the animal to notify the appropriate UK local authority if they intend to import an animal which may technically be subject to the Act.

Yours sincerely

J. T.
Customer Contact Unit

It is not much but atleast there are changes to be made, hopefully to the benefit of wolfdogs.
Morgaine jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:36   #102
solowolf

Default changes to laws in uk

hi, i have been fighting now for over 5 yrs to convince defra that the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog is a domesticated breed and not a dangerous wild animal, in 2007 we hope that the Csw will become a recognised breed, there is still much work to be done but i think at the end education and understanding of this breed will win the day, fingers crossed,,,,paul and mandy winder
solowolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:56   #103
solowolf

Default in this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgaine
I've contacted defra a few weeks ago and today a reply came.
I wrote them about Saarloos wolfdogs but i think it will aply for CZW too.
This is what they wrote:

Dear ....

SAARLOOS WOLFDOG

Thank you for your email of 16 November about enquiring about the wolfdogs in the UK. I have been asked to reply.

The Dangerous Wild Animals Act is currently under review. Following consultations in 2001/2 and 2004, and advice from a panel of experts, changes to the 1976 Act's schedule are now planned for 2007 alongside the Animal Welfare Bill coming into force. Final decisions on the detail of the amendments will be taken at that time. In the meantime, the existing Schedule remains in force.

The Act regulates the keeping of certain kinds of dangerous animals as pets. Licences are required for any animal which appears on a schedule to the Act. Wolf-dog hybrids are not a true species but rather a hybrid of the domestic dog crossed with the wolf. Such animals technically fall within the Act's catch-all listing of all species of Canidae (i.e. the dog family) with certain exceptions such as Canis familiaris, the domestic dog. Our policy is that such animals are included in the Act's listing and therefore require licensing.

In the UK local authorities are responsible for licensing and enforcement under the Act. If an animal is many generations removed from the wolf ancestor and is essentially indistinguishable from a domestic dog in appearance and behaviour, then a local authority might conceivably choose to exercise discretion and regard it as a domestic dog, but this will of course have to be decided by them and not the owner.

With regard to importing an animal into Great Britain that is listed on the schedule to the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976, the owner will need to obtain a licence from the local authority where the wolfdog will be residing before it can be brought into this country. It is the responsibility of the owner or keeper of the animal to notify the appropriate UK local authority if they intend to import an animal which may technically be subject to the Act.

Yours sincerely

J. T.
Customer Contact Unit

It is not much but atleast there are changes to be made, hopefully to the benefit of wolfdogs.
in this letter it states that a licence is required before you can bring a wolfdog into the u.k I imported my first wolfdog into the u.k on defra issued paperwork THEY NEVER ASKED FOR A LICENCE....... the kennel club of great britian has a rule on importing a new breed rule B3 it clearly states they will only consider breeds that are recognised in there country of origin and are recognised by the FCI,, i sent them all the information on the Csw and they invited me to import this breed, they registered the first litter born in the u.k then 5 weeks later removed them from the register,,,I asked Defra and the kennel club about the Csw and they told me it was ok to import my dogs,,, i have all the letters from the kennel club and my import papers from Derfa to prove this,, i refused to send my registrations back to the kennel club and i refused to keep my csw locked up as dangerous wild animals, i can send copies of all documents to anyone who emails me,my Csw dogs are on Defra issued passports and travel in and out of uk freely.....my wife and i have had our csw for over 5 yrs and we will not give up, we asked Defra and the kennel club to take court action against us 2 yrs ago,,they did not reply,,, they fear a court case as i have all there documents they sent us to bring the Csw into the u.k......the kennel club is a disgrace the way they have treated this breed in the u.k and are fully responsable for them being here, we asked the kennel club and defra and were told you can bring in the Csw to u.k,,,regards paul and mandy winder
solowolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 00:05   #104
Quiche

Question Breeder in Uk

Hi everyone,
I had this website since a while in my favorite, but as i was traveling around the world, i couldn't really get into geting a dog to share my life so i didn't subscribe before.
Anyway, today i ended up living in the Uk. Vacation over going back to work.
and I am looking for a new "fury beast" to share my life.
I saw one wolfdog, while I was browsing russia, and I just can take him out of my mind. So my plan is to seek for one to share my new home with him.

I have been browsing the forum, saw 2 posts about it already here... but they didn't comes up with factuals answers. that why i would be pleased if you guys could help me.

1) is it legally allowed today to have a WD here in the uk wihtout any specific license (delivered by the city council)?

2) I read that someone (sorry i haven't pay to much attention to the name.. the applogize: i am a noob ) had a litter of WD here in england.
so i assume that it is possible now that some breeder appeare around uk?

3) and in a more global ways, Coming from france and i lived there, i have been influenced by lot s of cliché on our "none frog eater" neighbors, and one was they are not really easy with dog owner in genral, that now you have to go through a kick kind of test ( a sort of driving licence for dogs), and i was wondering if that is real or not?

Sorry again, if my post isn't in the best english, and if my question might sound redondant with some other.

have a good day,

Cheers

Quiche
Quiche jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 20:29   #105
lee-b

Send a message via Skype™ to lee-b
Default Any news

HI paul or anyone,any news or update to the csw situ?
Cheers Lee
lee-b jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 20:21   #106
belgshep

Default UK Wolfdogs

I have rejoined the forum having been off it for 3 years,many of you would have known me as masairotts,been living on a farm with no access to the net in remote Wales but now I am back and ready to start fighting again.
Regards to everyone
Paul
belgshep jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 21:44   #107
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgshep View Post
I have rejoined the forum having been off it for 3 years,many of you would have known me as masairotts,been living on a farm with no access to the net in remote Wales but now I am back and ready to start fighting again.
Regards to everyone
Paul
Fight the government in England i hope you mean

welcome back / Mikael
Old 06-09-2008, 22:00   #108
Nebulosa

Send a message via ICQ to Nebulosa Send a message via MSN to Nebulosa Send a message via Skype™ to Nebulosa

CzW its a breed wich recently start on UK and already have huge problems, I think that if you want fight against the govern rules you need first fight against dog farmers wich uses CzW and SHW for make mixes and add wolfblood at Northen Inuit and Utonagan dogs probably seing more wolfish appearence.
For you try to change the rules against breeding of wolfdogs on uk, first you need make govern people be sure that UK people are able to have and breeding wolfdogs properly.
After some things I read here and other foruns about dogs on UK, I really believe that now, seems that UK people arent prepare to make it and DEFRA is completly right.
Old 06-09-2008, 22:39   #109
Angelika

I absolutely agree with Paula.

Seems your prognosis of 2004 "without doubt there will be those who would use the CsW to introduce wolf genetics into other breeds, if it has not already been done" became true, Paul.

Anyhow welcome back
Angelika jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:14   #110
belgshep

Thanks for your comments,yes I am aware of what has been going on and yes there is a lot of comment on the mixing of czechs with another breed,sadly this has gone on with breeders or farmers for a long time with many breeds and is something I have brought up with defra.
If we had been able to legally have czechs the problem would not have happened but when a breeder has paid several thousand pounds for dogs they want it back and have little reagrd for the damage they can do or consideration for the dogs,its a sad world.
Paul
Old 07-09-2008, 10:58   #111
michaelundinaeichhorn

Then they are no breeders.

Ina
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 13:51   #112
belgshep

Sadly there are always those peeople who will look at profit before what is best for the breed and I am also aware of working breeders mixing with GSDs in and attempt to put right the mess that they are in,in europe I should add.,
Thankfully I have never been involved in breeding,prefering to buy my working dogs from those who understand how to breed correctly.
My interest in the czech goes back to the early 70s when I was in contact with an ex czech border guard who havd been involved with them from the late 50s and it was their tracking ability that interested me most.
Paul
Old 04-10-2008, 23:25   #113
Butterfly

Question

Hi All,

I have read somewhere that a licence is not needed for owning a CZW (or SWH) in the UK. This was not a DEFRA document just someone quoting a recent phonecall with DEFRA. Just wondering if this is now the case to your knowledge.

Thanks.
Butterfly jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 00:08   #114
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Hello

I asked this question earlier this year and got this answer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael
Hello again Tikaani
How are the situation fore CsW in England now ???
Are thay not Banned ???
I only ask sens you say you hawe a female puppy, and I´am curious.
I know it is the wrong Thread but I ask enyway, sens you are to know

Best Regards / Mikael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikaani
"you still cant have one here at the mo, but if you can get permition from the lcal council you can, silly place the uk
But maby the roles has change ???

/ Mikael
Old 05-10-2008, 00:13   #115
Butterfly

Thanks for your reply. I agree it is a silly place at times and I live here! I am not at all sure, some say it has, others say it hasn't!!
Butterfly jest offline   Reply With Quote