Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Living with a CzW....

Living with a CzW.... Stories as forewarnings for future owners.... everything about the character of Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs

Old 09-04-2011, 00:19   #1
Gypsy Wolf

Default Inter-dog behavior and vlcaks ispersing aggression

Hi all,
Just curious about vlcaks as a breed in regards to inter-dog behavior/aggession... I have been training dogs since 1991 - with a degree majoring in Animal Behavior - in a variety of different dog sports... anyway, dog-aggressive and "reactive" dogs have always been an issue I have dealt with as a dog trainer... there are many different methods for dealing with the problem - some of which involve exposing the reactive/aggressive dog to a neutral dog.
I have found that my vlcaks are EXCELLENT "neutral" dogs... their pack drive makes them a breed that likes other dogs (in general) and wants to dissipate aggression and encourage positive, friendly interaction. Their body language is unquestionable to other dogs, and it seems to me that the vlcaks very easily communicate their lack of aggression to the reactive dog - as well as their desire to interact appropriately.
Having limited experience with the breed, I am wondering if this is a characteristic of the breed in general or just that I am lucky for now?
I do see that my female will likely end up being a little dominant as she matures, so she may not be the most "neutral" dog when exposed to another dominant bitch, and with some reactive intact male dogs I work with, I would not expect them to warm up to my male vlcak, as he is also intact...
The other day another dog trainer asked to meet my vlcaks - her own rescue GSD is VERY dog-aggressive - and by chance, her GSD broke it's tether and came running over to my male vlcak... the trainer panicked (I calmed her down) but I assured her it was OK (I was watching her GSDs body language, and Pollux's)... and Pollux gave AMAZING cues to the GSD - who ended up not being aggressive to him. The trainer was blown away just watching Pollux "talk" to her GSD and her GSD totally calm with another (strange) dog. She thought it was a miracle. From there, my very neutral male Malinois also interacted with her GSD - again, it was a totally appropriate interaction...
I also recently helped a very "reactive" (fear-aggressive) Rat Terrier... a male who my Luna just charmed... he was so "taken" with her (she was totally neutral and polite to him) he hip-bumped her to play, and actually play-bowed - which he had never done to another dog her size, ever.
I am thinking a large part of it is the fact that the breed is very "obvious" with their body language, and don't really seem to want to fight... they LIKE other dogs and tend to be polite... of course it could be the fact that my vlcaks are still young... would like to know if other folks' experiences...
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 13:30   #2
michaelundinaeichhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunas Mom View Post
of course it could be the fact that my vlcaks are still young...
You hit the nail right on the head, my dear.

Michael
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote