Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous All about Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs...

Old 22-10-2010, 06:05   #41
enomis52

Hi everyone,

Ligerwolve2 I too would love one of these beautiful dogs. I am in the sydney area (not far from you) so if you wouldn't mind, could you pass me on any details you find out? I'm not sure if people would mind being emailed numerous times about the same thing... Right now I am just curious about if or when we will see these guys in Australia (I certainly hope so!)

Cheers
enomis52 jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 10:06   #42
enomis52

Does anyone out there have any updates about CVW's in Aus?

I'm hanging out to meet one.....
enomis52 jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 01:45   #43
Wolves

Default Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs-Australia

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since there was any talk of Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs in Australia.

I read earlier that Sona Bognarova had moved to Australia and was looking at importing, but I can't see any updates on that. I also noticed Mick Wright's Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs, that are supposed to be mixes, they're still great, but I don't think he's selling any.

I've been considering importing, given I can't find anyone in Australia who appears to have any let alone be breeding. The only problem is, is that as of 2012, dogs have to be atleast 6 months before being imported to Australia. Most breeders don't seem keen on the idea of keeping them for that long.

Anybody have any infomation or updates on what's happening? Or has nothing changed since the last threads made about them in Australia.

-Thanks
Old 23-12-2011, 02:17   #44
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

I don't know if the situation in Australia has changed any, but I do know that if you develop a good relationship with a breeder, some certainly aren't averse to working with you on importation requirements, including the rabies titer wait and others.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 07:03   #45
Wolves

Yeah, I'll see what happens. If there's none in Australia in 3 years, and I haven't been able to import. Then I'll just live in the county of importation for the duration of the testing and vaccinations that have to take place untill I'm able to ship the Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs to Australia.

Australia seems a bit empty when it comes to wolfdogs and dogs that look like wolves..

Saarloos Wolfhound-None known to be in Australia.
CZECHOSLOVAKIAN WOLFDOG-None pure that I know of.
Tamaskan-None that are up for breeding.
Northern Inuit-None.
British Wolfdog-None.
Old 23-12-2011, 07:23   #46
yukidomari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolves View Post
Australia seems a bit empty when it comes to wolfdogs and dogs that look like wolves..

Saarloos Wolfhound-None known to be in Australia.
CZECHOSLOVAKIAN WOLFDOG-None pure that I know of.
Tamaskan-None that are up for breeding.
Northern Inuit-None.
British Wolfdog-None.
sometimes, that's not a bad thing..
Old 23-12-2011, 07:38   #47
Wolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukidomari View Post
sometimes, that's not a bad thing..
I would hope that in the case of the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog, that owners would be required to have some kind of permit. Many people buy them for their looks, and although they have done research, they don't realise how much of a challenge the dog is untill they buy one.

I recently got a Wildlife Permit, as I intend to own a dingo in the future, it's a free permit. Just I had to build a large enclosure and demonstrate that I know a lot about dingoes in order to recieve it.

I don't think they will put a permit when it comes to owning dogs like the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog in Australia, as they're a domestic dog unlike the dingo. But it really would help, as they're not like a normal dog.

But the first step is actually getting the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog recognised here....
Old 23-12-2011, 22:17   #48
Baz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolves View Post
British Wolfdog-None.
What's a British Wolfdog? I've never heard of them.
Baz jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 22:25   #49
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
What's a British Wolfdog? I've never heard of them.
An innuit cross amongst other things, its a title to sell wolf alike dogs
pixie jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 22:39   #50
Baz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
An innuit cross amongst other things, its a title to sell wolf alike dogs
Aha, thanks for that, I've just been googling them
Baz jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 22:48   #51
yukidomari

fancy name for a regular mix.
Old 24-12-2011, 16:42   #52
Shadowlands

Just one that the cross breeders in the UK have come up with
Shadowlands jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 00:12   #53
Shadowlands

Also the compulsary (spelling?) quarantine on entry to Australia is harsh on a young pup/dog that has just travelled possibly half way around the world. They must be sealed into their crate in the country of origin (where they must have lived for a min 6 months) and then are only allowed out to enter into quarantine. I understand the need for precautions against rabies, but surely if a dog has been x weeks after a positive titre, the quarantine could be relaxed a little?
Old 25-12-2011, 04:15   #54
Wolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlands View Post
Also the compulsary (spelling?) quarantine on entry to Australia is harsh on a young pup/dog that has just travelled possibly half way around the world. They must be sealed into their crate in the country of origin (where they must have lived for a min 6 months) and then are only allowed out to enter into quarantine. I understand the need for precautions against rabies, but surely if a dog has been x weeks after a positive titre, the quarantine could be relaxed a little?
I know, I think the quarantine should be 2 weeks at most. I mean the quarantines here aren't bad, they have a large enclosure to run around in, but no I agree, after a long trip going to a strange place like a quarantine kennel where there are a whole bunch of other dogs there can be quite daunting.
Old 25-12-2011, 13:00   #55
Enid Black

Isn't there a regulation (like the one that puts the rules to go to UK and Ireland) that allows the puppy to have a blood sample taken a month after the vaccinations to get the anticorps titles and then 6 months later it can be brought without any quarantine?

The fisrt dogs would be very difficult to be brought there, I realise indeed, but it still would be better than the compulsory (that's the spelling Shadowlands ) quarantine!

Enid Black jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 15:49   #56
Shadowlands

Thanks for the spell check, Enid - things have been a little stressful here and my internal one has packed up

Unfortunately, the official Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service states "No additional documentation, vaccinations or testing can be completed to reduce or avoid the Australian quarantine period." The minimum period in quarantine is 30 days, irrespective of whether the titre test was done more than 180 days previously - if it was only 60 days previously, the animal must remain in quarantine for 120 days . (The regulations state that 180 days must elapse from the date of the titre test before an animal can be released from quarantine, but then goes on to say that it must be there for at least 30 days)

On top of what is likely to be a very long journey, this is quite harsh for any animal, least of all a young puppy
Old 25-12-2011, 17:41   #57
Enid Black

Ugh... I just know that I would need to be in quarantine myself with the dog, I would never leave the dog alone ...

Enid Black jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 23:26   #58
Wolves

Yeah...it's times like these that really make me hate Australia.....
Old 31-12-2011, 07:32   #59
Ligerwolve2

Nothing much new has happened as far as I know. There are some wolfdogs but they are not bred to look anything like wolves. They are working dogs and not sold to the general public.

As hard as it is for importing I can only respect the lengths they go to. We are a very lucky country in alot of ways.

I would not want to see a permit on them (other than a permit for dog ownership in general) as I dont think this would help the image of wolfdogs being a special BREED rather than a hybrid. If they think they need a permit you can expect the breed to be at riskk of being banned all together.

Ive owned a wolfdog myself in the past. I hope to again in the future but its a rather expensive process and then at the end of the day the dramas of placing a puppy in the right home if you breed. That can be a total nightmare!

The best solution I have heard for importing has been to actually travel overseas, spend time forming a good bond and allowing the dog/s to mature before attempting importation.

Its a delicate situation and best handled carefully rather than diving in and creating a bad reputation for the breed right off the bat.

Dingoes are different again. They can be wonderful companions in their own way though. What an exciting experience for you.
Ligerwolve2 jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 10:26   #60
Wolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligerwolve2 View Post
Nothing much new has happened as far as I know. There are some wolfdogs but they are not bred to look anything like wolves. They are working dogs and not sold to the general public.

As hard as it is for importing I can only respect the lengths they go to. We are a very lucky country in alot of ways.

I would not want to see a permit on them (other than a permit for dog ownership in general) as I dont think this would help the image of wolfdogs being a special BREED rather than a hybrid. If they think they need a permit you can expect the breed to be at riskk of being banned all together.

Ive owned a wolfdog myself in the past. I hope to again in the future but its a rather expensive process and then at the end of the day the dramas of placing a puppy in the right home if you breed. That can be a total nightmare!

The best solution I have heard for importing has been to actually travel overseas, spend time forming a good bond and allowing the dog/s to mature before attempting importation.

Its a delicate situation and best handled carefully rather than diving in and creating a bad reputation for the breed right off the bat.

Dingoes are different again. They can be wonderful companions in their own way though. What an exciting experience for you.
Yeah, in a few years when I have the time if there isn't anything in Australia, I'll live in the country of export for a year, so I can buy them and then I can train them myself and I'll be able to take the puppies to the vets for all the vaccinations and microchipping myself.

When purchasing a dog from countries that are rabies free, I don't really understand why there needs to be so much time before export, but your right, it's best to be safe.

Yes, I love my dingoes. They're alpine dingoes, so they have the lovely thick coat. Challenging, but very rewarding.