Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous All about Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs...

Old 23-02-2014, 20:51   #1
PeterP

Default Interested in Wolfdog Puppy

Hi,

We are a young married couple that lives in Warsaw, Poland, and we are looking for a Czech Wolfdog puppy. While we live in Warsaw, I work on a large farm near the Ukrainian border, where I stay at least half the week. We are just getting ready to move into a larger apartment in Warsaw and, after moving, want to add a new member to our family. When we were younger, we both had large dogs, so we have a little experience in handling them. We already have a rambunctious Bengal cat, who is very dog friendly and not at all shy (actually, he chases and fetches balls - we aren't sure he isn't confused about what he is).

So we have a few questions:

1. Male or female? While I don't necessarily believe there are huge behavioral differences inherent in gender - and that good or bad behavior mostly comes from training - I was curious as to what the more experienced members on the forum thought. We get various "ideas" about this - like females are better with children (which we don't have, but eventually will) or that males are more aggressive. Any truth to this?

2. Neuter or not? I was born in the States, but am of Polish descent, and, in Poland, we often hear that females especially need at least one litter in their lifetime. I'm not sure I believe this - it sounds like folk wisdom that doesn't bear scientific study. Also - are neutered males really much more calm than unneutered males? We neutered our cat when he was very young, because we weren't interested in breeding and I came to the conclusion that neutering would let him live a healthier and longer life with less chance of prostate cancer, etc. His energy level was definitely not affected, as some had warned me.

3. We will be ready to get the puppy in June when we have some vacation and the new apartment ready. I was wondering about the specifics of buying a puppy in Poland or border countries. Is it usual to request to visit the breeder's facilities? In the States, one wouldn't even consider buying a dog without visiting the breeder and checking up on their mom, dad, family, environment, etc.

4. About the website - on the planned litters - are the dates there generally pick up dates (reflecting the fact that the puppy has at least 8 weeks of age) or are those birth dates. We want to start looking and visiting some potential breeders soon...

Sorry for the long post! We are really excited about getting a wolfdog puppy, but as new owners, have some concerns and want to do everything well.

All the Best,
Peter & Lia
PeterP jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 13:12   #2
BRUCH

in italy!
BRUCH jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 15:35   #3
*Satu

Send a message via MSN to *Satu

2. Neuter or not? I was born in the States, but am of Polish descent, and, in Poland, we often hear that females especially need at least one litter in their lifetime. I'm not sure I believe this - it sounds like folk wisdom that doesn't bear scientific study. Also - are neutered males really much more calm than unneutered males? We neutered our cat when he was very young, because we weren't interested in breeding and I came to the conclusion that neutering would let him live a healthier and longer life with less chance of prostate cancer, etc. His energy level was definitely not affected, as some had warned me.

This is BIG legend: Female doesn´t need to make any litters and same whit males.
Old 25-02-2014, 16:30   #4
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Male or female? While I don't necessarily believe there are huge behavioral differences inherent in gender - and that good or bad behavior mostly comes from training - I was curious as to what the more experienced members on the forum thought. We get various "ideas" about this - like females are better with children (which we don't have, but eventually will) or that males are more aggressive. Any truth to this?
I'm from Poland and I've never heard such nonsense about breeding a female at least once. My female is 5,5 and I've never wanted to become a breeder, nor am I going to ever breed on her, and she's fine. It's hard to generelize in case of CSVs because they are very individualist - have different temperaments, preferences, talents etc. I suggest you should meet several vlcaks, talk to their owners, and read about the breed, visit a few kennels, before you decide to invite a puppy to your home. As far as I know Warsaw vlckas owners meet more or less regularly with their dogs, why don't you join them and see what the dogs are like...

Last edited by Rona; 25-02-2014 at 19:33. Reason: spel. err.
Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 20:07   #5
PeterP

Rona,

I agree. All animals are quite the individualists. Do you have any idea where/when the Warsaw vlcak owners meet or someone in Warsaw I could get in touch with about that? Would you have any additional resources about CSVs besides this website, Wikipedia, etc? The information seems to be quite general, however, I find that to be the case with most information about most dog breeds (or cat breeds for that matter).

Also - Rona - is there a Polish breeder association for CSVs? We would probably give priority to a Polish breeder over another, simply because they are closer, and while there are quite a few on here I imagine that a Polish association would have more information about the Polish breeding programs. We are very impressed from what we have seen from Poland regarding CSVs on this website....

Thanks again everyone!
Old 26-02-2014, 21:05   #6
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterP View Post
Do you have any idea where/when the Warsaw vlcak owners meet or someone in Warsaw I could get in touch with about that?
I've sent you a private message with e-mail address of the person who arranges most of the meetings.

Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 21:10   #7
PeterP

Yep, got it thanks for all your help, Rona!
Old 26-02-2014, 21:43   #8
anula
czuły barbarzyńca

Peter, I invite you to walk with our wolfdogs - an unforgettable experience
anula jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:09   #9
PeterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by anula View Post
Peter, I invite you to walk with our wolfdogs - an unforgettable experience
Anula,

Thanks for the invitation. We are a bit busy until the end of March, but in April we really hope to come along for a walk.
Old 18-12-2014, 03:31   #10
QLDphil

Default Wanted - Wolfdogs in Australia

Hi there, This is my first time here. I am looking to get two Czech Wolfdogs here in Australia. Can anyone help?
QLDphil jest offline   Reply With Quote