Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Breeding

Breeding Information about breeding, selection, litters....

Old 15-03-2011, 14:16   #1
Richard Graham

Talking feeding pup cwd

Hi could you tell me the best food to feed my CWD she 10 weeks and any informaion you could give me please Regards Richard
Richard Graham jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 04:32   #2
draggar

Where are you (most countries have different lines of food)?

I would personally stay away from puppy food. They usually have very high protein that can lead to some growing issues.
draggar jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 08:22   #3
Richard Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardgraham View Post
Hi could you tell me the best food to feed my CWD she 10 weeks and any informaion you could give me please Regards Richard
we stay in uk carlisle
Old 16-03-2011, 09:33   #4
Silvester

I´m sorry for correcting you , draggar - but new reasarch has shown without any doubt that high protein containing of food for puppies does NOT cause any problems.

The difficulties can only come from too high calories / fat containment or / and simply too much non- natural food given to the youngsters.

Problems also happen mainly with artifical food , but normally not if you feed "Barf", that means natural food like meat, bones, fish and so on...

That`s because of the higher energy containment in the artifical food . It´s a concentration of calories which is normally not given in any natural food. ( if you not try to feed your puppy three times a day with pure lard...)

So in the main thing I agree with draggar - I also would not use commercial puppy- food. But of the reasons I told above, not because of too high protein.

Best greetings, Silvester

Last edited by Silvester; 16-03-2011 at 09:36. Reason: Writing mistake
Silvester jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 14:23   #5
draggar

You should always watch the ingredients - if you do use commercial food and are in the USA avoid foods that list a "fat" product in the first 4-5 ingrediencts.

As for "natural" foods - giving them raw chicken once a week may not be a bad idea. Most grocery stores in diverse neighborhoods or meat markets / butcher shops will carry chicken backs. Grocery stores will normally sell half backs (1/2 the back) - meat markets / butcher shops will have full backs (both halves and the neck). Give them 2 half backs or 1 full back once a week (including the bones - they help keep teeth clean).

DO NOT COOK THE CHICKEN! Runce it under very hot water like you were preparing it for yourself then tive it to the pup as is. Your first few times you might also want to give a little kibble after (1/2 cup?) with some molases in it to help with any potential diarrhea issues that may come around.

Raw food is great but can get extremely expensive. BARF is great food, don't get me wrong, but it is very expensive here.

For commercial foods (available in the USA) we've primarily used Roay Canin's GSD forumla and Taste of the Wild.
Old 16-03-2011, 14:54   #6
Richard Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggar View Post
You should always watch the ingredients - if you do use commercial food and are in the USA avoid foods that list a "fat" product in the first 4-5 ingrediencts.

As for "natural" foods - giving them raw chicken once a week may not be a bad idea. Most grocery stores in diverse neighborhoods or meat markets / butcher shops will carry chicken backs. Grocery stores will normally sell half backs (1/2 the back) - meat markets / butcher shops will have full backs (both halves and the neck). Give them 2 half backs or 1 full back once a week (including the bones - they help keep teeth clean).

DO NOT COOK THE CHICKEN! Runce it under very hot water like you were preparing it for yourself then tive it to the pup as is. Your first few times you might also want to give a little kibble after (1/2 cup?) with some molases in it to help with any potential diarrhea issues that may come around.

Raw food is great but can get extremely expensive. BARF is great food, don't get me wrong, but it is very expensive here.

For commercial foods (available in the USA) we've primarily used Roay Canin's GSD forumla and Taste of the Wild.
Draggar thank you very much this is a great help, so you give the chicken raw and with kibble once a week what would you feed it on every day? also what is the best for vitamins
Old 16-03-2011, 15:47   #7
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Quote:
I was feeding my dog RAW for 4 years, then decided to change to kibbles (Orijen), but after few months came back to RAW and I plan not to change it anymore. She likes to eat it, I like it how she looks. I never put meat under hot water, even if a meat is allready smelly - she only finds it better tasting. After torturing dog with kibbles, she started to like even sea fish Sometimes i even feed Brukne every other day - but then she gets a double portion, seems like this also suits her.

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 15:53   #8
pixie

do you have one of Lee's pups if so i have one from his last litter and been feeding her raw food and table scraps from getting her and she is doing ok
pixie jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 15:59   #9
draggar

Putting the chicken under hot water is to kill any microbes (like e-coli) on the aurface of the chicken (whcih is normally killed in cooking but this isn't cooked).
Old 16-03-2011, 16:12   #10
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Quote:
Putting the chicken under hot water is to kill any microbes (like e-coli) on the aurface of the chicken (whcih is normally killed in cooking but this isn't cooked).
I just wonder who puts the chicken under hot water for wolves in a forest? When a dog eats raw meat and bones, his stomach "juice" become very acid - so acid, that no bacterias from chicken can harm one. This is the reason why dog should not be fed "mixed" food like kibble and meat at once, this may lead to gastritus.
Pixie, table scraps are for pigs, not for dogs. Could you also please use punctuation marks?.. It is so difficult to understand what you are writting and whome...

Old 16-03-2011, 17:39   #11
Silvester

Vaiva is right. Dogs - if they are feeded with "Barf" , means with natural raw food - are just like wild canines very well adapted to eat ANY raw meet, even if it´s already stinking... Like hyeanas they can also feed on cadavers without getting any problems in health. Our dogs are dogs , not humans inside a fur- coat. In nature, wolves , coyotes and foxes are not only predators but also play the role of garbage collectors as well, means they eliminate and remove cadavers.

Best regards, Silvester

Last edited by Silvester; 16-03-2011 at 17:43.
Old 16-03-2011, 17:43   #12
draggar

We could take your debate even further - dogs evolved eating our refuse (garbage) - vlcaks are still mostly dog (as opposed to wolf). Should we let them eat out of the garbage cans?

The reason we do it is because there is a lot of bad bacteria that can grow on raw chicken, especially on the surface. While te chances are low that it can make them sick, why not take 5 minutes and make it even lower? I don't see any negative to rinsing the chicken under hot water (and letting it cool a little before serving) - cooked chicken meat (not bones) and organs aren't bad for dogs and it's not hot enough or long enough to make the bones brittle.

I look at it this way, 5 minutes, maybe a gallon or two of hot water, and a strainer or small pot to rinse them off in for a little extra peace of mind.
Old 16-03-2011, 17:46   #13
Silvester

Hey draggar, hello ! - yeah, you are right also, of course you can clean the meat under hot water. This will not cause any difficulties and may be you have a better feeling by doing so.

But Vaiva indeed is right - it´s not needed for a healthy normal dog.
Old 16-03-2011, 17:48   #14
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

All the dogs are fed prey model raw here, which differs from BARF without the inclusion of vegetable matter.

Whole animals are common on the menu.. Found a lovely supplier locally and will soon be getting some whole goats.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 17:54   #15
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Quote:
I look at it this way, 5 minutes, maybe a gallon or two of hot water, and a strainer or small pot to rinse them off in for a little extra peace of mind.
You are totally right, but I think it is much better for imune system to learn to deal with various bacterias - we all know, that a child, who grew up in sterile surroundings, will most probably be more sick and have more allergies, than the one, who was growing up "normally". Ofcourse, this is not a suggesion but children from associal familys are mostly much more resistant than the ones with crazy mothers, who bath them in Kalii permanganas.
I think for a dog it is healthy to roll sometimes in cows "pie", to eat raw meat, to play outdoors even if it is raining or snowing or have a drink from a spring But it is just my amateur possition.

Old 16-03-2011, 19:11   #16
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaiva View Post
I just wonder who puts the chicken under hot water for wolves in a forest? When a dog eats raw meat and bones, his stomach "juice" become very acid - so acid, that no bacterias from chicken can harm one. This is the reason why dog should not be fed "mixed" food like kibble and meat at once, this may lead to gastritus.
Pixie, table scraps are for pigs, not for dogs. Could you also please use punctuation marks?.. It is so difficult to understand what you are writting and whome...
By table scraps i mean whatwe leave on our plates not peelings etc, sorry about the punctuation, will try harder.
Old 16-03-2011, 19:24   #17
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
By table scraps i mean whatwe leave on our plates not peelings etc, sorry about the punctuation, will try harder.
Still it is not good for dogs. Unless you do not use any salt, sugar or spices, no E621 and similar stuff in food - then it is at least not harmull, but really not usefull...

Old 16-03-2011, 20:27   #18
pixie

Quote:
Still it is not good for dogs. Unless you do not use any salt, sugar or spices, no E621 and similar stuff in food - then it is at least not harmull, but really not usefull...
Chocolate and beer is not useful but i enjoy them as treats, as do my dogs enjoy table scraps but the scraps from 4 plates is not much between 3 dogs so hardly worth all the worry
Old 16-03-2011, 20:32   #19
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
Chocolate and beer is not useful but i enjoy them as treats, as do my dogs enjoy table scraps but the scraps from 4 plates is not much between 3 dogs so hardly worth all the worry
Well, these are your dogs, not mine, but their liver are not ment to deal with spicies and similar. I use nuts (almond, hazel) when I want to do something for my dog to enjoy

Old 16-03-2011, 20:59   #20
pixie

Quote:
Well, these are your dogs, not mine, but their liver are not ment to deal with spicies and similar. I use nuts (almond, hazel) when I want to do something for my dog to enjoy
just to put your mind at ease, we dont give them anything that is highly spiced like curry or chilli and also avoid giving them cakes,puddings etc its normally just a bit of left over meat and veg, I understand where you are coming from and agree you do have to be careful what you give them, so don't worry my dogs health is very important to me and my family. Thanks though for trying to be helpful and giving some good advice.