Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Sport & training

Sport & training Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs as working dogs - how to train, how to teach new elements, information about competitions and training seminars...

Old 29-10-2007, 11:10   #1
elf

Default Running training program

Hello,

We are going to start running regularly with Voltcha (15 months), thanks for your comments/corrections about this training program:

Speed = 12 kms/h

Weeks 1->4: 30min 2x/week
Weeks 5->8: 45min 1x/week ; 30min 1x/week
Weeks 9->12: 45min 2x/week
Weeks 12->16: 45min-1h 2-3x/week

Which changes in alimentation, + 15% ? Addition of some elements ?
Balsam for paws ?
Anything else to think about ?

Thanks

Anthony
elf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 20:15   #2
hanninadina

Send a message via Skype™ to hanninadina

My friend Miguel is doing CaniCross with his csw female. Please have a look at his homepage www.wolfdogclub.de and you will find - I think - some help how to train. Amie is doing really good pulling him over the race track for about 3 to 6 km. He is member of the spanish national teamChristian
hanninadina jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 20:20   #3
Angelika

Hi Anthony,

remember your walk with Voltcha and Furcas; they certainly run more than half an hour - without balsam

Out of curiosity - who speeds 12 km/h? You or your bike?

regards,
Angelika
Angelika jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2007, 20:47   #4
elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanninadina View Post
My friend Miguel is doing CaniCross with his csw female. Please have a look at his homepage www.wolfdogclub.de and you will find - I think - some help how to train. Amie is doing really good pulling him over the race track for about 3 to 6 km. He is member of the spanish national teamChristian
Thanks for the link. I did not success to get the english version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelika View Post
Out of curiosity - who speeds 12 km/h? You or your bike?
I do ... well, I was doing a while ago. I plan a marathon in some months and I would like to do it with Voltcha.

What about running on asphalt ? I think to the paws but it's also rather traumatic for articulations ... simply to avoid ?

Anthony
Old 29-10-2007, 21:47   #5
Angelika

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
I do ... well, I was doing a while ago. I plan a marathon in some months and I would like to do it with Voltcha.
BRAVO!!!

My dogs run 6-7 km on asphalt (and I cycle ) - no problems.

Botis ran 100 km on asphalt (did you see the pic of him and Przemek?) and his paws were all right.

Voltcha is a C S W

regards,
Angelika
Old 30-10-2007, 19:54   #6
elf

We began our first session this afternoon, as guessed it seemed rather easy to her. It was very plesant, nothing compare running alone, we share one more thing together.

I bet someone won't annoy me tonight

Anthony

Last edited by elf; 30-10-2007 at 20:14.
Old 31-10-2007, 12:58   #7
elf

I guess the point would be: how to make her not getting bored after running one hour or more ?

Anthony
Old 31-10-2007, 22:19   #8
Angelika

What about talking to her (if you have enough breath - grin)?

cheers
Angelika
Old 31-10-2007, 23:32   #9
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
I guess the point would be: how to make her not getting bored after running one hour or more ?
Maybe a treat (piece her favourable food) attached to the bike?
Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:56   #10
elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rona View Post
Maybe a treat (piece her favourable food) attached to the bike?
Something alive should do the trick

Is there SVP1-3 organized in France ?
Old 01-11-2007, 11:04   #11
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Something alive should do the trick
As far as I know Cheitan enjoys running in the company of other wolfdogs...
Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 18:18   #12
elf

Old 01-11-2007, 19:11   #13
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Quote:
Well, I managed to make 75 km with my previous wolfdog during the 100 km race, and we didn't train much before. We finished soon because I couldn't continue, Kei was happy to do whatever I decided. I guess just running with the owner is a good thing for wolfdog (if it is not running for hours on small circles - now that's quite boring). But on a long track, even if you go for the second time, the wolfdogs think it strange but not stupid yet. If you have a good partnership, then just being together is a reward enough. Just running is very easy for wolfdog. Other thing would be if you went running along playing dogs all the time, you know, things which attract.

But the togetherness is very important for wolfdogs. When I go for a walk in the wood, Frei runs around, snifs a lot, digs, rolls over and so on. If I go running at the same place, she is running along, sniffing from time to time, but not digging and rolling. And she is not lookoing as if she misses the things. She usually does the things because it takes me too long during normal walk to go along.
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 19:59   #14
elf

Ok, my track must be too short, it's a 3kms track in the wood. After the first loop she seems a little bored and does not run the same: she is no more ahead but behind or on my side and seems to prefer sniffing.
Old 01-11-2007, 20:56   #15
saschia

Quote:
Ok, my track must be too short, it's a 3kms track in the wood. After the first loop she seems a little bored and does not run the same: she is no more ahead but behind or on my side and seems to prefer sniffing.
Yeah, that's quite short. When I do some running occasionaly, I have a 5-km round and I do it only once. For training on bike I found a 12-km track (quite up-and downhill) and that is also only once (mostly due to time and stamina reasons - I cannot do more). I think doing a track more than twice starts to get boring also for human.
Old 12-11-2007, 14:53   #16
elf

I trained on a long track, no loop, again she seems bored after 20 min, motivation problem . I'm sure she's not tired, I saw her running really crazy 2h with Furcas. With food she stays close to me and only think to eat, a running stomach. I don't have the opportunity to run with another dog to motivate her ... does someone have other tricks for us ?
Old 12-11-2007, 15:05   #17
elf

Here is the unmotivated girl chasing me, maybe I should do the prey:

Old 12-11-2007, 16:23   #18
saschia

Quote:
Here is the unmotivated girl chasing me, maybe I should do the prey
You lucky guy, I get it only from behind (me being behind my Frei, which is stalking other dogs when they are still far away).

The motivation is of course a kind of problem, but this is the reason why I consider this trial as a working trial. It is not only fun.

You should, in my opinion, make sure that the dog understands that that is what you are going to do, even if she is getting bored. I would, in your place, start talking to her as soon as she starts making signs she would like to stop doing this and do something else... Give her command, like "Forward" or "Run on" or whatever, and praise her if she does what you want her to do. First, give her something good after two or three praising, later give more praising and food only in lonegr intervals. Maybe stop running and play with her after certain period - after 30 mins from starts, then 40 in couple of days. So that she knows, that now you are doing this, because you want to, and then she gets good reward for being an obedient girl.

How old is she? You also have to consider the attention span which a young dog can have. As you wouldn't spend working for whole hour at a military or tracking training, without giving rest periods for play and rest, so you cannot do everything at once with running.
Old 20-02-2008, 17:06   #19
Juniorwolf

Default run

I just started training for SVP1(40km) with Uno by method mentioned by Elf in another Thread and have some questions about the exam :

Must the dog run in front of the owner or is it okey if the dog run next to the owner ?

Must the dog run in "gallop" or must it run in "trot" ...or is both paces okey(I am not sure if I used the right terms, but hope that you will understand what I mean anyway) ?

Greetings Rolf
Juniorwolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 23:26   #20
Kerstin

Send a message via Skype™ to Kerstin

Hello Rolf,

the dog can run next you and he is allowed to trot, to pace and to gallop-all movements/speeds are fine.
You will find out really quick what speed/which movement is most comfortable for your dog. See you

Regards,
Kerstin