Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Upbringing & character

Upbringing & character How to care for a puppy, how to socialize it, the most common problems with CzW, how to solve them....

Old 11-03-2005, 09:31   #1
lisica

Default how to train?

Hi again!
I have a question about one skill which I have problems to learn. My CW Capa (female) is growing and we finished puppy school already. She learnd very fast basic comands as sit, wait and sit, lie down, we are working very good on recall .... She is realy a bravehart dog. At 2 months she wasn t afraid of new year detonations at all, she has no fear of stangers and other dogs , she is energetic bomb..... But I just can t teach her not to jump (and bite a little - just for fun)on everyone. On my 3 kids, on my wife, on me when I come home, on strangers when we walk out.. She jumps because she is happy, not agressive at all. She plays with children all the time, giving them kisses, and so on. Now we allready started junior trainig school. I am practising clicker trainind a lot also, with quite sucess, just jumping and biting everybody and everything around is my problem. But dont think I dind work on it. She knows wery well when she bites if it hurts or not, she never bites so much that hurts somebody, she is ony chewing us all the time. (but we are not very happy being her Orbit chewing-gums) She is also not destroying things in the house. She destroys her toys only. I also compared her with other dogs in school. She learns faster, but she do not want to repeat a lot. She jumps on everybody much more than others. Some people said all I have to do is insist on not jumping and biting, and wait that she grows up? Is this really my only chance???

regards, Lisica
lisica jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:17   #2
slarman

The best way to train her not to jump.
Put her on her leash and correction[training]collar,ask a friend to approach her to encourage her to jump,ready yourself and watch her,as soon as she goes to jump,give a heavy correction at the same time growl "NO",when all four paws are on the ground really praise her.REPEAT UNTIL SHE JUST WALKS UP TO PEOPLE WITHOUT JUMPING.
If this doesn't work,when she jumps grab both front paws and squeeze hard,growl "NO" and push her to the ground,praise when she walks to you without jumping.
slarman jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:20   #3
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Hi, you might find useful following links on dog training:

jumping dogs:
http://www.webtrail.com/petbehavior/june98.html

hyperactivity and jumping:
http://www.webtrail.com/petbehavior/nov99.html

There are also solutions for other more or less common behavior problems in dogs and cats also. I like the site a lot, I am looking forward to try to use the ideas in practice.
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 13:01   #4
Angelika

Default how to train?

Hi Lisica,

we have a female CSV (10 months old). She too jumps and kisses us when we come home. Guests also get a kiss. People told us that`s the way wolves greet each other. It will stop when they are getting older. I prefer it that my dog is glad to see me when I come home (but this is only my opinion).

CSV are very intelligent. So they learn much better than other dogs, but only to please you. They feel bored when they have to repeat the same again and again. You own a CSV, not a german shepherd *g*

The way you describe Capa shows that you`ve got a wonderful CSV (as me *g*) and I think you can be proud of her.

And I`m happy that Capa is not ill any more.

Regards
Angelika
Angelika jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 14:50   #5
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Angelika,

I think it is fine that the dog shows its affection, but it should learn that we just dont like when it jumps on us. It is not very good, because it can dirty people in better case and scare or even overthrow them in worse case. I think it is wise to teach the dog to wait for you to crowch and let it kiss you. It can still wag its tail, make happy sounds and so on...
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 15:07   #6
Angelika

Default how to train?

Hi Saschia,

thanks for your answer. - Danja does it only at home but I`ll do my best to stop it.

Regards
Angelika
Old 13-03-2005, 01:09   #7
ligerwolve

What about ignoring her? When you get home and she jumps all over you just turn away, dont greet her or touch her just walk away. Then when she is calm approach her and greet her in a way you feel appropriate. My dog is always full of beans but one day she accidently knocked over a friend with her greeting (she is a big dog). Thats when I decided it had to stop, but I didnt want to get angry with her as she was only being friendly. Ignoring her worked well as she would do anything for my attention. Now she only jumps up when asked and she leans on us for attention. Though I have to say she is still very happy to see us as well as very heavy!
ligerwolve jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2005, 00:01   #8
Angelika

Default how to train?

Hi Janet,

thank you. I will try it, but it`s not easy to get out of reach of Danja when I come home. She`s jumping a r o u n d me *g*

Regards
Angelika
Old 14-03-2005, 02:50   #9
ligerwolve

Trust me I know what you mean Akayla thinks she is a lap dog and is always on me Im glad my legs are still working some days. Im glad my advice might help. I have recently aquired a GSD puppy so I will need to be using it all over again
Old 29-04-2005, 23:26   #10
Chinook

Hai! Lots of dogs jump on people, and most of the time it is just friendly behaviour. Wolves greet eachother often enthousiastically, by jumping on eachother, chasing eachother, etc., but they never do that to the alpha. When they greet the alpha, they show submission, by licking it's muzzle, showing their belly's, etc., whatever the situation requires at the time.
Because humans don't walk on all 4's, but on two legs, dogs need to jump up in able to reach the mouth of their owners, in able to greet them. So, what some people do, is get on all 4's so the dog is able to greet them... (smile).
However, if the dog is enthousiastically jumping around, I think this means you have to show your wolfdog clearly you are the alpha, because your dog does not see you as the alpha. Show in dog/wolfway you are the leader and you'll see that your wolfdog will calm down, and will greet you a lot calmer when you come home.

greetings,

Chinook
Chinook jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 00:43   #11
freewild

Send a message via MSN to freewild Send a message via Skype™ to freewild

hello

my dog tex learn really so fast but if he don't see why to do

he say's to me " fuck of "

effectively they do it when they want

i found one idear don't give all the food to night so he 's hungry and it's more easy fot the obediance i don't do it that all the time but some time it's particle

on the other hand to prevent that it jumps on people I catch up with it right before with a small traction with leaves and right before one "not" quite dry but that starts at the house when I arrive at the gate I makes it sit down it is far from being obvious because it is very happy to see me. but progressively one arrives has to have a dog which turns around people and not which jumps on a very clean costume for mordillement just small slap on the muzzle and saying just a little front "not" and at the same time there little to also to put a toy in his mouth him as that it takes the practice and will seek the toy is our arrival vloia by hoping that my small experiments can render service to you

see you back
une vrai passion pour une belle race !
signé fabrice
tout simplement passionné....... et c'est deja ça
freewild jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 11:25   #12
z Peronówki
VIP Member

Send a message via MSN to z Peronówki Send a message via Skype™ to z Peronówki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligerwolve
What about ignoring her? When you get home and she jumps all over you just turn away, dont greet her or touch her just walk away. Then when she is calm approach her and greet her in a way you feel appropriate.
It is very good idea used by many our friends but...it is not working by CzW. Or better said: not by most of them. Ignoring CzW is simply not possible.... Expecially when we talk about young dogs. Even Alfas like Bolton have problems with it...

'Z PERONÓWKI'
FACEBOOK GROUP
z Peronówki jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 09:39   #13
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margo
It is very good idea used by many our friends but...it is not working by CzW. Or better said: not by most of them. Ignoring CzW is simply not possible.... Expecially when we talk about young dogs. Even Alfas like Bolton have problems with it...
Exactly. It's rather the CZW that would ignore you, if for some reason, unhappy or cross
Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2005, 08:04   #14
ligerwolve

Luckily Akayla (my wolfdog) is mad about getting attention so it works on her. My new GSD pup though I have decided to try something else. When someone comes over I tell her to "Go to bed" which is her place. Its right near the door so she can still be close. If she goes she gets a reward and if she tries to get down I say "NO!". So far she is doing pretty well. The reason I dont try to ignore her is she becomes distructive " Ignore me will you well I will just rip a nice whole in the curtain" I suppose its harder to train a pup. I better finish this letter, I have a cat butting me in the head a dog howling and a pup pulling my pants I think they want some attention!