Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Upbringing & character

Upbringing & character How to care for a puppy, how to socialize it, the most common problems with CzW, how to solve them....

Old 18-06-2005, 19:51   #1
Keeba

Default TWO WOLFDOGS

Hello I am an owner of a female wolfdog. I am from Spain and here in Spain there aren't so much wolfdogs (I know 4 wolfdogs more). I know wolfdogs are very independent and I think it is no so good for me, I like obedient dogs, that stay always looking their owner, etc.

I have been looking to buy another wolfdog, but I would like to know more about their charachter when there are two or more in a house. They are obedient? They are more independent? I have a friend with another wolfdog and when the two wolfdogs are together, they are always playing, if I have another wolfdog they will be always playing and didn't obey me?

Please I need some help about this theme. Thanks a lot!
Keeba jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2005, 16:59   #2
Rona
Distinguished Member

Default TWO WOLFDOGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeba
I know wolfdogs are very independent and I think it is no so good for me, I like obedient dogs, that stay always looking their owner, etc. .....I have been looking to buy another wolfdog, !
Why do you want to but another wolfdog if you feel that wolfdogs are too independent for you ? Get yourself a German Shepherd if you want an obedient dog.
Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2005, 00:29   #3
Keeba

Yes, I know that they are independents, but with my wolfdog I am very well, I go out with her and when I say her something, she does it. But when I have been with my friend and his wolfdog, my wolfdog doesn't hear me when I speak her. Do you know what I want to say you? My question is that if I have two, they don't hear me never.
Old 20-06-2005, 07:35   #4
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Yes, I know that they are independents, but with my wolfdog I am very well, I go out with her and when I say her something, she does it. But when I have been with my friend and his wolfdog, my wolfdog doesn't hear me when I speak her. Do you know what I want to say you? My question is that if I have two, they don't hear me never.
Maybe a Basic Obedience course at a local Dog's School would help? Your dog is young, you can still teach her a lot...

I think a friend's dog is a special attraction for your wolfdog, especially if they meet and play only from time to time. If she had a steady companion at home she'd probably react less enthusiastically and listen to your commands.

I hope people who own two or more wolfdogs and have exeperinces with them will help you with your dilemma....
Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2005, 07:45   #5
Pavel

Send a message via Skype™ to Pavel

I dont want to give any recommendation. But only one (my experience) :
1 dog=1 problem
2 dogs=pack=1000 problems

Dont forget it by buying a second dog. I say always - educate good first dog (make with him minimaly basic exams like e.g. BH) and first then think about buying the next dog.
Pavel jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2005, 17:28   #6
Keeba

My wolfdog is 9 months old, and the basic commands, she makes it very well, but my "dilemma" like Rona says, is that, in other cases, when a person have (for example) three dobermanns, the three dobermanns are always looking the owner. Here in Spain there aren't sufficient information about wolfdogs, and all I have read is in this page, here I have read about the charachter of wolfdogs. But when I have decided to buy another wolfdog I have been thinking about other things. I have imagine that if I have two wolfdogs, they will be all day long playing, and they don't look at me never. (I am sorry about my english, I can't explain me 100%) For example, people who have 2, 3 or more dobermanns, they call dobermanns, and dobermanns will do the command. But I don't know if wolfdogs, when are in pack, they don't see anymore than they. If they will be in contact only with them. Do you understand me?

I hope you understand me more or less and you could help me. A lot of thanks!
Old 20-06-2005, 21:40   #7
Nebulosa

Send a message via ICQ to Nebulosa Send a message via MSN to Nebulosa Send a message via Skype™ to Nebulosa

Quote:
My wolfdog is 9 months old, and the basic commands, she makes it very well, but my "dilemma" like Rona says, is that, in other cases, when a person have (for example) three dobermanns, the three dobermanns are always looking the owner. Here in Spain there aren't sufficient information about wolfdogs, and all I have read is in this page, here I have read about the charachter of wolfdogs. But when I have decided to buy another wolfdog I have been thinking about other things. I have imagine that if I have two wolfdogs, they will be all day long playing, and they don't look at me never. (I am sorry about my english, I can't explain me 100%) For example, people who have 2, 3 or more dobermanns, they call dobermanns, and dobermanns will do the command. But I don't know if wolfdogs, when are in pack, they don't see anymore than they. If they will be in contact only with them. Do you understand me?

I hope you understand me more or less and you could help me. A lot of thanks!
I believe that he is not possible to compare a Wolfdog with another breed, another thing, dobermanns are very obedient, a time taught hardly forget.
Nebulosa jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2005, 14:19   #8
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Hi, I think it depends on your ability to train them. I personally had only one dog at a time, but when we were with friends and had at least three wolfdogs together, we could handle them, although you could see that the wolfdogs really enjoyed company of their own. But in your place I would first train my first dog, so she has good obedience (also if she is with other dogs) and then buy another one and make sure from the beginning that they understand that obedience is important. But I would not be afraid that they will not listen to you, if you teach them. Still you are also member of the pack and the ALPHA and that is important. But as I said, first make sure that the first dog is well obedient.

Good luck!
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2005, 15:28   #9
hanninadina

Send a message via Skype™ to hanninadina

Hello Keeba,

I am from germany and have a briard male in sept. 4 years old and a wolfdog young lady 17 month young. I know very well that you are going through hard times with your 9 month little lady. But as Pavel wrote 1 dog = 1 problem; 2 dogs = 1000 problems. If you will buy a second dog and your first one isn´t trained very well, you will have a lot of problems. And don´t do the fault to compare a wolfdog with dobbermans oder german shepards. As it is written here, these are totaly different dogs which are obedient in their mind. You have to work with your lady and then she will look at you. But in this age now she is interested in the whole world. First when she has her first heat and she will become a bit more adult - think of it that a wolfdog is from his character an adult with about 3 years -, your lady will be much more calm. Then begins the time where she is not interested in everything new. But you have to train her from the start of your connection. For example start your walking that she sits beside you. Then say "watch" and when she watches you say something nice to her and then you start walking. I trained it with my dogs, so I can say watch if there is a another dog passing by and my dogs look at me and have no interest in the other one.

So, do you a favour and work with your dog and then with about 2 years think about buying a second one.

Greetings from germany

Christian with Myla Crying wolf and Hannibal Nadina-Sis
hanninadina jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2005, 19:37   #10
Keeba

I understand more or less all you explain me, so I will await to buy another wolfdog.

But my question is that: if I buy another wolfdog, my wolfdog doesn't obey very well at me because it will be in pack with the other wolfdog. BUT IF I buy a dobermann, the charachter od the dobermann is to obey the owner, so dobermann prefers stay with the owner, and my wolfodg will be in pack with dobermann, or not because dobermann is other breed of dog?

Thanks a lot
Old 23-06-2005, 00:53   #11
Ori

Send a message via Skype™ to Ori

Hi!
I have a wolfdog and a doberman (two males) and it is not so simple as you suggested: my doberman will teach my wolfdog or they will not listen to me
Doberman wants to listen to you, but wolfdog has his own live if you will not teach her well!
They will feel stronger thogether, and even try to attack together if they will not be obey.
Never second dog helps you to make the first one to listen to you!
Old 23-06-2005, 11:39   #12
Kerstin

Send a message via Skype™ to Kerstin

Ola Keeba

Quote:
I understand more or less all you explain me, so I will await to buy another wolfdog.

That is a good idea. Try to train your wolfddog first. And if he listens to your very good, then you can think about getting the next one.

Quote:
But my question is that: if I buy another wolfdog, my wolfdog doesn't obey very well at me because it will be in pack with the other wolfdog.
If your wolfdog obey well, he will do so anyway, no matter if there is another dog. If you say Quit this- he should do so (eg if they are playing or ready to go hunting )

Quote:

BUT IF I buy a dobermann, the charachter od the dobermann is to obey the owner, so dobermann prefers stay with the owner, and my wolfodg will be in pack with dobermann, or not because dobermann is other breed of dog?
If your wolfdog doesnt listen to you, he will NOT listen to you because the Dobermann does. And dont forget, the Dobermann needs to be trained at first as well. He will probably not listen to you from the first beginning.

And as Ori wrote before, they will teach each other things, you dont want them to learn

Best regards,
Kerstin
Kerstin jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2005, 10:36   #13
solowolf

hi i have wolfdogs and am in southern spain near alacante where in spain are you best regards ronnie
solowolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2005, 22:37   #14
massimo

Send a message via ICQ to massimo Send a message via MSN to massimo

My personal experience with my first wolfdog was that when he was left alone at home, he destroyed literally EVERYTHING.
I think I spent at least 4.000 euros to repair all the damage made by him.
He had what they call "anxiety of abandon" or something like that.
Wolfdogs feel a lot the pack, and hate being alone.
They tend to express their feelings destroying objects.
When he was 1.5 years, we took our female, Lunatica Crying Wolf.
Never again did I have any problem at all with him, never.
For me it was:
1 CSW=chaos
2 CSW=pack=the male is never alone=end of damage
Maybe mine is an exception but it's the truth.
As for obedience, I really cannot complain about them, and being the first one quite obedient but not very snappy when obeying, the experience taught me to change method and the second is really much better.
ah...some photos to prove some damage!!
http://it.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/oli...bum?.dir=/c663

massimo
Old 17-07-2005, 23:02   #15
Angelika

Default TWO WOLFDOGS

Yesssssss - they really love wooden things but our CzWs take the ones for the stove

Angelika
Angelika jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005, 09:21   #16
lisica

Massimo, plese explain what you changed "in your metods" when training your second wolfdog? I have one (9 months) and she is really a chalenge to me!!

After checking your protos I see my is very nice dog!!

lisica jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005, 18:56   #17
Nebulosa

Send a message via ICQ to Nebulosa Send a message via MSN to Nebulosa Send a message via Skype™ to Nebulosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo
My personal experience with my first wolfdog was that when he was left alone at home, he destroyed literally EVERYTHING.
I think I spent at least 4.000 euros to repair all the damage made by him.
He had what they call "anxiety of abandon" or something like that.
Wolfdogs feel a lot the pack, and hate being alone.
They tend to express their feelings destroying objects.
When he was 1.5 years, we took our female, Lunatica Crying Wolf.
Never again did I have any problem at all with him, never.
For me it was:
1 CSW=chaos
2 CSW=pack=the male is never alone=end of damage
Maybe mine is an exception but it's the truth.
As for obedience, I really cannot complain about them, and being the first one quite obedient but not very snappy when obeying, the experience taught me to change method and the second is really much better.
ah...some photos to prove some damage!!
http://it.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/oli...bum?.dir=/c663

massimo
imagines that it could have been worse....

until it did not make as many damages thus...
Nebulosa jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 04:59   #18
Keeba

Nebulosa, please, what is for you obedience? When you call the wolfdog, he comes to you? If the two wolfdogs are all time in pack, they obey your orders?? How do you train your wolfdogs? Please tell me more about the life with two wolfdogs. And if somebody lives with a wolfdog and another dog of other breed, please, tell me about this.
Thanks!
Old 26-07-2005, 05:00   #19
Keeba

SORRY!!!
When I put "Nebulosa" I wanted to put "Massimo"
Old 21-08-2005, 20:03   #20
Keeba

Finally, I decided to buy an American Staffordshire Terrier. But my question is this: my wolfdog will be like an amstaff, or the small amstaff will be like my one year old wolfdog??

The charachter of the wolfdog will change??? Or maybe the amstaff will grow and make his charachter like a wolfdog?