Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Upbringing & character

Upbringing & character How to care for a puppy, how to socialize it, the most common problems with CzW, how to solve them....

Old 29-12-2012, 20:29   #1
timbowkett

Default needing some advice

Hello our 16mth old female called sky is having a few problems any advice will be appreciated,
1. We are still strugling with house training she will poo in the house as soon as she needs to, with wee she usualy lets us know and we can get her outside, if she is in the back of my car she is fine for hours and goes when I take her for a walk but at home she doesnt seem to care,

2. She was very well socialized when young but in the last few weeks has started to be affraid of people,barking and shaking is common if they have a dog or food then no problem was wandering if this ciuld be a fear stage and how best to deal with it,

3. We also have a 9 yer old german shepard female and sky has just started to turn on her slightly we think she might be starting her first season, it will also be her last . At what sort of age do they have a season and is female dominacey a usual thing,

Thanks for any input you can give we are in the uk in devon if anyone is ever around this way for a meet up
timbowkett jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 12:38   #2
Moura

Hi, my Maya (2 years old) still poo inside sometimes if I don't take her out enough.... she asks to go out for pee but not to poo... for me is a matter of anticipation... for example: usually she sleeps in my room... last night I let her sleep on the hall couch and in the morning I found out 2 littles presents in front of the main door... I guess she wanted to go outside but the door was closed (and this is the ONLY door in the house she cannot open !!!!) so she didn't ask herself too much what is she suppose to do! When she sleeps in my room she never poo inside!
2. Maya had her first season towards 12 months... and every 6 months since.
3. I didn't notice anything changed in her on this occasion ... BUT I know she has moments (like periods of several weeks) when she becomes more dominative or very obedient... Personally I think is something I must change in my relationship with her that I don't notice in the instant but she does... (For ex: this autumn I used to go a lot to look for mushrooms in the woods... and when I was calling Maya usually she came to me, but sometimes she didn't... as I was into my mushrooms I didn't go to get her and be very strict about this... so she saw that she can "not come to me when called"... I struggle to repair this even since! )
Maybe is a matter of season, maybe is a phase in her behavior... a thing is for sure : you have to be very strict to her and don't make any concession.
Good luck
Moura jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 10:51   #3
avgrunn

About fear- I would socialize her even more, if she is afraid of a person I would allow her to get to know this person, ask this person to kneel, not to react, just let the dog sniff him/her, maybe give this person some favourite dog snack so he/she could feed the dog. If she is afraid of an item then also let her sniff it, you can touch it to show her that it won't do her harm.

About pooing - I do not know how you managed it when she was a puppy, when my Uro was fed, he was immediately walked out, before going to sleep he was out, after waking up the same, during the day every two hours also out, even during the night I would wake up and go out with him. And we have no problems. Maybe you should try the same, treat her like a puppy walk her very often so she could understand that pooing can be done only outside. And maybe award her for doing that outside, we were always trying to be very enthusiastic when Uro did his things outside You also have to read your dog, I know when Uro wants to go out, he doesn't have to tell me his behaviour shows me.
Old 31-12-2012, 12:35   #4
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avgrunn View Post
About pooing - I do not know how you managed it when she was a puppy, when my Uro was fed, he was immediately walked out, before going to sleep he was out, after waking up the same, during the day every two hours also out, even during the night I would wake up and go out with him. And we have no problems. Maybe you should try the same, treat her like a puppy walk her very often so she could understand that pooing can be done only outside. And maybe award her for doing that outside, we were always trying to be very enthusiastic when Uro did his things outside You also have to read your dog, I know when Uro wants to go out, he doesn't have to tell me his behaviour shows me.
Very good advice! Additinally, when our girl was a puppy and we were training her, we found it very helpful to use two different expressions: one for a "bad home poo" and another one for a "nice outdoor poo". She was told off for the first one, (not really aggressively, but I was kinf of grumbling) and she was praised for the other one. Once we started using two different words, she grasped the trick very quickly.

Last edited by Rona; 31-12-2012 at 12:40.
Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 13:02   #5
avgrunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rona View Post
Very good advice! Additinally, when our girl was a puppy and we were training her, we found it very helpful to use two different expressions: one for a "bad home poo" and another one for a "nice outdoor poo". She was told off for the first one, (not really aggressively, but I was kinf of grumbling) and she was praised for the other one. Once we started using two different words, she grasped the trick very quickly.
Exactly we did the same with Lolek, our dachshund
Old 27-02-2013, 20:24   #6
timbowkett

thanks for the reply's , we are going back to basics with her now to try and fix where we went wrong, will keep posted on her progress
timbowkett jest offline   Reply With Quote