Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Sport & training

Sport & training Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs as working dogs - how to train, how to teach new elements, information about competitions and training seminars...

Old 19-04-2010, 01:56   #1
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari
Default Hunting with a CSV.

Is it done? Just curious. Anyone hunt with their CSV? What hunting style do they generally employ? Baying, treeing, etc? I don't think birding would be their strong point, but what about larger game - say, boar?

Are they capable of solo (with handler) hunting, or do they do better in packs?

Or are they generally unsuitable for hunting?
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 11:38   #2
Silvester

Default Hunting with a CSV

Hello Yukidomari !

I think i am - better say, i WAS ( because my old dog died in november 2008 )- the only one here who used a Csv regularly for hunting. I wrote some postings here in 2005 in German wolfdog- forum, you can read there. Of course i don`t know wheather you are able to understand German language ?

If not i will answer you here in English, if you like.

Send a short reply, ok ?

Bye-bye

Last edited by Silvester; 19-04-2010 at 11:47. Reason: Printing mistake
Silvester jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 12:05   #3
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvester View Post
Hello Yukidomari !

I think i am - better say, i WAS ( because my old dog died in november 2008 )- the only one here who used a Csv regularly for hunting. I wrote some postings here in 2005 in German wolfdog- forum, you can read there. Of course i don`t know wheather you are able to understand German language ?

If not i will answer you here in English, if you like.

Send a short reply, ok ?

Bye-bye
Is it legal in Germany? To hunt with a non-hunting breed?

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 12:18   #4
Silvester

Default Hunting with a CSV

Originally posted by Vaiva:

Is it legal in Germany? To hunt with a non-hunting breed?

Sorry, but this is not the question ! - and you can read my statement to this also in German forum, i already have answered it some 5 years before.

Last edited by Silvester; 19-04-2010 at 12:18. Reason: Printing mistake
Old 19-04-2010, 13:03   #5
hanninadina

Send a message via Skype™ to hanninadina

If you are a hunter you can use whatever dog you like for hunting. In last year they opened it from the judges that not only the classical hunting dogs are allowed.

Sylvester did you write under the Pseudonym Sylvester in 2005?

Christian
hanninadina jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 13:16   #6
Nebulosa

Send a message via ICQ to Nebulosa Send a message via MSN to Nebulosa Send a message via Skype™ to Nebulosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanninadina View Post
If you are a hunter you can use whatever dog you like for hunting. In last year they opened it from the judges that not only the classical hunting dogs are allowed.

Christian
Yes, he had but for what I saw both accounts where put togheter now.
I dont remember wich was his old nick, maybe the "smartwolf" he wrote in the end, anyway you can see his firsts posts here.
Old 19-04-2010, 17:25   #7
wolfin

Send a message via ICQ to wolfin Send a message via Skype™ to wolfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanninadina View Post

Christian
in who country? maybe in Deutshland only? in others lands this is ilegal hunting.
Old 19-04-2010, 17:37   #8
yukidomari

I'm a little confused as to the DE law everyone is talking about. Are there laws regarding which dogs can be used for hunting in parts/all of Europe?

In JP and in US you can hunt with any dog you want. I know people who even have hunting poodles and mixed breeds (for hunt-related things too like retrieving).

Can someone explain to me a little about the laws regarding hunting dogs?

Silvester, I cannot read German well at all, just a few words here and there. If you can repost some of them in English (I can't assume you know JP? ) I would really appreciate that.
Old 19-04-2010, 17:48   #9
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukidomari View Post
I'm a little confused as to the DE law everyone is talking about. Are there laws regarding which dogs can be used for hunting in parts/all of Europe?

In JP and in US you can hunt with any dog you want. I know people who even have hunting poodles and mixed breeds (for hunt-related things too like retrieving).

Can someone explain to me a little about the laws regarding hunting dogs?

Silvester, I cannot read German well at all, just a few words here and there. If you can repost some of them in English (I can't assume you know JP? ) I would really appreciate that.
In Lithuania there are hunting rules, not a law, just rules, but every diesent hunter should follow them. And these rules say that it is allowed to hunt only with hunting breeds. Anyway, a lot of huntėrs also use mies and even wolf-hyrids (thay are popular - mixes of laikas and wolfs).
These rules are called "Hunting rules in a teritory of Republic of Lithuania" and if you come to our country to hunt you have to follow them too
Here is the original text in Lithuanian http://www.hunter.lt/ist/ist2.htm - hope google translator will help you a lot (sorry, no time to translate that much...)

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2010, 17:52   #10
Silvester

Hi Yukidomari again !

i think it is NOT of public interest here what is allowed by German law or not , or what kind of dog breeds are used legally or illegally for hunting in different countries.

I still have the opinion that this should be mainly a forum for CSV and not a special talk- show for German law or other dog-races.

So I will only write about my experiences with my former Csv here, nothing else.

Of course this must NOT be valid for other Csv, for every dog is an individuum - should be clear, i think !

Ok, now i don´t have the time for longer posting - i will write more tomorrow to answer about your questions in your first posting today, dear Yukidomari.

Nice time to everyone - and bye- bye for today !
Old 19-04-2010, 17:58   #11
yukidomari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaiva View Post
In Lithuania there are hunting rules, not a law, just rules, but every diesent hunter should follow them. And these rules say that it is allowed to hunt only with hunting breeds.
Thanks for the response, Vaiva. Is there a reason to limit the breeds? Not trying to be difficult, just wondering about the rationale behind this. Wouldn't a hunter use whatever dog was most efficient to get the job done?

What qualifies a dog as a hunting breed? Does it matter if the dog is used as a gun-dog or auxiliary service like retriever?

ETA: Just saw your response Silvester - looking forward to hearing about your experiences soon!
Old 19-04-2010, 18:43   #12
wolfin

Send a message via ICQ to wolfin Send a message via Skype™ to wolfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukidomari View Post
Thanks for the response, Vaiva. Is there a reason to limit the breeds? Not trying to be difficult, just wondering about the rationale behind this. Wouldn't a hunter use whatever dog was most efficient to get the job done?

What qualifies a dog as a hunting breed? Does it matter if the dog is used as a gun-dog or auxiliary service like retriever?

ETA: Just saw your response Silvester - looking forward to hearing about your experiences soon!
when I want hunting i buy hunting breed, when want make IPO buy FCI I groupe or FCI II groupe dog, when want have only nice doggy buy from FCI IX groupe. I think not for funny make this FCI groups.
to hunting you have FCI III-IV, FCI V-VI-VII-VIII groups, and FCI X - i think you can realy big posibility buy nice dog special for this work
Old 19-04-2010, 19:48   #13
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfin View Post
in who country? maybe in Deutshland only? in others lands this is ilegal hunting.
I´m not sure, but I think one can hunt whit any type of dog in Sweden ???

Best regards / Mikael
Old 20-04-2010, 10:02   #14
Silvester

Originally Posted by wolfin:

"when I want hunting i buy hunting breed, when want make IPO buy FCI I groupe or FCI II groupe dog, when want have only nice doggy buy from FCI IX groupe. I think not for funny make this FCI groups.
to hunting you have FCI III-IV, FCI V-VI-VII-VIII groups, and FCI X - i think you can realy big posibility buy nice dog special for this work "

Ok, but this has only one little mistake - the dogs did not read about their offical classification !

Everybody knows that a lot of other races have a strong ability and motivation for hunting too, for example the "northern breeds" like Huskies, Malamutes etc. - and our race also !

so long....
Old 20-04-2010, 16:24   #15
Silvester

Hello Yukidomari!

I just let translatet the important parts of my posting from 2005 in German forum into English. Here it is:

" To avoid further inquiries and irritations, I would like to inform at start that the following things took place in Poland where one of my relatives is forester - and I am also in the possession of a German hunting license!
I own for now 9 years a Csv dog which I have bought myself as a 8-week puppy in Czechia.
At this time I lived near Dresden from where it is not far to Czechia and Poland and there mine relative (who had never heard something about the race Csv before ) immediately was fascinated, we took my dog already as puppies often with in the district without pursuing, however, some hunting education with him.
A " learning by mimicry " was also not possible, because my relative leads only one dachshund to the hunting work and Seeking and was not this with all ways in the district with from the part. Really we have never taken both dogs together.
Because Mariusz and me were both very much with interest in the natural behavior of my Csv with regard to game, we have always tried not to influence him in this direction -or only as little as possible. (No commands, attaching on tracks or other things of the hound education).
At first it was striking that "Wodan" was very attentive in the district already as a puppy less than 6 months.
from the necessity of the first motivation, making used with shot game to the odor habituation etc. like with hounds usually we needed forborn and she was not also. It was further not normal dog-like that he ran to possibly to the same age (6 months) even in human company in the district only reluctantly about free, uncovered areas. Strangely he showed this behavior in the town, even in parks, in no way.
"Wodan" was interested from the outset very much in wild tracks, slogan and also in all acoustic charms, z. B.the sounds of roe deer game or foxes. (We have led him in the district always without rope).
His natural appeal, i.e. his follow our local change was always enough to hold to him in our nearness. This has changed only after he was more than 13 months old. I have never lured him in the district with the usual commands, but only with quiet, however, sharp "sssssst" - sound as I have done it also often with my earlier hounds (German short hair). (This is more unobtrusive to hear for the dog at close range, nevertheless, well and then driving away the game) at the age of 10.5 months he does not have in a marshy meadow area his first, neither wounded shot nor in any way ill narrow roe deer sly.
Besides, it was remarkable that he applied without experience straight the throaty clutch what I would have seen with no hound at this age and without previous success or training or from which I would have belonged.
From a defense of his prey with our approach - what on the other hand many hounds with first success at first by growling or also snapping he never did against me , neither at that time nor one day later something to note.
However, he has cut the deer immediately and tried to consume and eat so much meat as possible of it. He also still does this occasionally-in spite of more immediately suitable counterpiece education measures-this morning, so that he is not suitable as actual as a hound very reliably .
Besides it proved to teach itself in spite of long trainings as impossible, to him any form of trace sound or view sound, also barking at dead animals when finding he could not learn. His hunting always occurs completely without any noise or barking.
Besides, he barks otherwise in other situations completely like other dogs (even if, however, very little) a wolfish howl I have never heard from him.
Because of this, as a classical hound I cannot use him. (I have one more German short hair bitch of 3.5 years).

Concerning his hunting behavior is to be said that he feels much less than hounds (i.e. tracks follows and with the nose works), but very optically and acoustically is oriented. Although he cannot compete in speed with my Jola, he has with the stack and snatch of pieces substantially more and quicker success than this.
He is really "raubzeugscharf", he strangles i.e. cats, martens or also foxes, if inevitably, in the shortest time.
It would interest me very much to get to know whether there are other holders who lead a Csv as a hound like me and start, I have belonged in my hunter's circles still from nobody, therefore, now this request around answer. "

(Sorry for the translation, it seems to me quite poor. Hope you can understand everything.)

Bye- bye for this time !

Last edited by Silvester; 20-04-2010 at 16:32. Reason: Mistakes in translation
Old 20-04-2010, 16:45   #16
yukidomari

Hi, Silvester

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

I could roughly understand your translation, and this is what I got out of it:

- Your CSV had some natural inclination for hunting and dispatching game, although not a good hunter's dog because he would also like to eat the game he caught despite training (Can't blame him though!)

- Your CSV Wodan tracked game more with his eyes and ears rather than a typical hound who depend on their nose.

- Your CSV was not as fast as your GSP, yet could dispatch or down animals faster with an efficient throat hold.

- Your CSV did not bay/bark at downed game or during the chase, so that you could not track him much like classical hounds.

Is this roughly right?
Old 20-04-2010, 17:01   #17
Silvester

Hi Yukidomari !

Yes, what you are telling as summary is correct .

(May be i should tell more, that we learned him at last NOT beginning to eat his prey !)

I apologize again for the bad translation ! Unfortunately i had not the time for correcting everything or writing the whole posting completely new in English.
Old 13-12-2011, 18:56   #18
Achak
Scandinavian member

Question Hunting with CsV

I have a question:

Is there anybody who has any experience of using a CsV for short distance hunting of wild boars? Or hunting of any kind?
Achak jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2011, 19:42   #19
yukidomari

http://www.wolfdog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14071
Old 13-12-2011, 20:12   #20
Achak
Scandinavian member

Thanks a lot!
Achak jest offline   Reply With Quote