Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > CzW in need

CzW in need CzW looking for new homes: dogs with pedigrees but also Wolfdog-alike dogs from animal shelters....

Old 06-07-2011, 22:51   #101
Gypsy Wolf

I didn't say an active pet home was a lesser placement. I just said I am more than happy with Pollux going to this placement.
Again, his owner is the one whose business it is to neuter him or not. Personally I prefer intact animals, too, as I like to show. Doesn't mean I breed willy-nilly, or intend to. Never even had an "oops" breeding.
I think the man is responsible enough to be able to handle managing an intact adult.
While Pollux is gorgeous, I do not know how much of his behavior is genetic, so I would not want to breed to him necessarily or take a pup. I am more than happy with ONE vlcak, thank you very much!
Again, we are placing Pollux to please him, not you.
You all are being absolutely ridiculous, getting all up in arms and judgmental over something that has absolutely nothing to do with you, nor have you sacrificed your time and effort to raising this dog. We have. It's our call. If you don't like it, too bad. There are more important things in life for me to dedicate my time to. Obviously explaining our reasoning is useless since you have made up your mind that we are horrible for making the decision and I am no longer going to waste my time on this topic.
Enjoy your glass houses.
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 22:52   #102
draggar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfin View Post
beter shoot this dog
WTF???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I know you mentioned that you might like to breed from him. Has this guy offered you a pup if he breeds?
Not that I know of but we would not be interested in a puppy. The Luna / Pollux litter was a thought but we are no longer even considering that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalomyOak View Post
I thought Florida went by percentages - i.e, if a dog is over 75% wolf then it is treated...I think as "medium level" wildlife (not as dangerous as a gorilla, but more dangerous than a tortoise), and has requirements than correspond. All species can be possessed if they are part of exhibition, with a permit, bonds, etc. That is reasonable, I guess, from a legal standpoint (though it is difficult to prove percentages), and in line with most other states. I think most people who own a wolfdog that is 75%+ (with genuine proof) would agree it takes more specialized care than the average dog. It's really a huge question for our breed here, how they will be treated if they came into a legal situation - even with pedigrees. They are the only breed that AKC (begrudgedly) acknowledges comes from recent wolf crossings. Uncharted territory. While AKC does have some legal influence because of the money it lavishes on politicians as a special interest group, it really has no authority. States could potentially ban our breed, because of it's history...it's why I always encourage prospective owners to know all of the laws that could potentially apply to them.
Nope, if it looks like a wolf then it's a wolf in the eyes of Florida law. All the husky owners should be careful now.

http://myfwc.com/license/wildlife/captive-wildlife/

Bottom of section D:

Quote:
Note: Hybrids resulting from the cross between wildlife and domestic animal, which are substantially similar in size, characteristics and behavior so as to be indistinguishable from the wild animal shall be regulated as wildlife at the higher and more restricted class of the wild parent.
draggar jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 22:55   #103
wolfin

Send a message via ICQ to wolfin Send a message via Skype™ to wolfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggar View Post
WTF???
yes yes - this all who you planed make we can call this same WTF they DOING
Old 06-07-2011, 22:57   #104
Tassle

Hmm....methinks from what little you have said, you are placing Pollux to please you - not him.
Tassle jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 23:04   #105
draggar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfin View Post
yes yes - this all who you planed make we can call this same WTF they DOING
Take the Michael Vick attitude elsewhere. It's nice to see the forum's management is willing to make such a suggestion. It is clear where the forum's management stands on things like that.
draggar jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 23:14   #106
tupacs2legs
rookie

Send a message via ICQ to tupacs2legs

What do u think u deserve a pat on the back for?
tupacs2legs jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 23:22   #107
wolfin

Send a message via ICQ to wolfin Send a message via Skype™ to wolfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggar View Post
Take the Michael Vick attitude elsewhere. It's nice to see the forum's management is willing to make such a suggestion. It is clear where the forum's management stands on things like that.
people want open your eyes.. but per 6 themas sites we see- this not help.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:35   #108
Tazer

Earlier it was stated that it was Pollux's true owners decision where he was rehomed to, not yours...now you're stating its your choice and its tough if people don't like it.

What is the truth here?

Also, you're not the only people on the Earth to have taken on a dog, someone else didn't want and then had to put time and effort into said dog.

It doesn't make you a Saint, you are not above the rest of us and you can sure as hell still do wrong.

Taz
Tazer jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 19:36   #109
Gypsy Wolf

No, I don't doubt my friend's ability to raise a good working dog - she does so regularly. The problem was that Pollux has some serious shyness issues, and that was a major factor in her decision to look for another home. A shy dog is not necessarily a good working prospect to do what she wanted to do with him.
Pollux lives with us, and we have been charged with finding and screening good homes for him - we have been involved in rescue of various breeds for the last 10+ years, so it is not difficult to screen for a good home.
Our initial hope was to place him in a performance/show home which would require he be kept intact. So far, the "Saarloos mix" accusations have not been confirmed, and I would still place him on a co-own contract, intact. Just because a dog is in a home intact does not mean he will be bred. I have had multiple dogs of my own - all intact - and very few have ever been bred, and I never have had an "oops" breeding in 21 years of dogs.
The other option is an active companion home - where he would be placed neutered. In both cases, the financial terms will be between the adoptor and the owner - I step out of it, even though he has been our financial burden for quite a while. I do not expect reimbursement.
And in both cases, keeping him local will also allow us to inspect the home and make sure that he settles in well and I can help them with socializing him.
I am done with being demonized for trying to do the right thing. It seems that he will not be going out to CA to the wrangler which is too bad, but I am sure we will find him an appropriate home. Thanks for all your help, support and understanding.
Old 07-07-2011, 19:50   #110
Tassle

If you were willing to send him out of state for the wrangler - why not for a different home? Why limit your options that way.

I have to say I am pleased he is not going to the wrangler from what you have said about his temperament and the intended use of him there.
Old 07-07-2011, 20:34   #111
Gypsy Wolf

Never said I was a saint nor better than anyone, though it seems a few of YOU seem to have that same attitude. Demonizing me for whatever you think I am doing wrong. Your judgmental behavior will some back to you at some point - Karma is a bitch. It seems you all are interested in being part of the problem and throwing blame rather than being part of the solution.
Getting angry at me for taking the dog in and trying to find him a better home is really stupid. As if I am to blame or had some way to prevent or control it.
You may not agree with my placement decisions - it is not your call. I am sure my husband reached out to all of you seeking help, NOT narrow-minded judgment and abuse from those who seem to be so perfect they can throw stones at those of us trying to do the right thing.
He will be placed locally so that I can personally do the home check, help him settle in and help his new family adjust as well.
Also, as I have a lot of friends throughout the community here, if the family decides to "dump" him without telling me, I will be notified immediately and can get him. I don't have the ability to do that if he is far away.
As I originally understood it, this forum was started with the intent to bring vlcak owners throughout the world together to share their love, knowledge, experience, etc., with the breed and to promote the breed responsibly. I didn't realize it was a forum for people to unfairly judge and criticize others to make themselves look/feel better. How is the aggressive behavior helpful at all? Makes you feel good? Such behavior is called "bullying" here and is indicative of mental illness issues. Perhaps take a long, good look in the mirror and try to figure out where the aggression is coming from, and what is the purpose of such behavior. You think it helps me? Or Pollux? Are you so "clean" in your life that you have the right to judge others?
I am really not interested in your answers - I think you need to look deep inside yourself and figure those out on your own. As it is, I am comfortable with finding Pollux a great home and I am over the judgemental crap. Not helpful and not healthy.
Old 07-07-2011, 21:10   #112
Tassle

I was just curious as to why you were so happy for him to go out of state for the wrangler, but not now.

Merely asking a question - but your reply above says a lot more about your choices than maybe you realise.

Whatever - I hope Pollux finds a home that deserves him.
Old 07-07-2011, 22:06   #113
tupacs2legs
rookie

Send a message via ICQ to tupacs2legs

Wtf!!! Yeah we all have mental health problems lol!!!!!!

If he turns out not to be a mix he shouldn't be bred from anyway! You have said time and time again he is like a saarloos in temp!

How would you stop an 'oops' mating anyway if he's not living with you?

Why u so up in arms? Oh yeah,everyone was suposed to agree with you and tell you how wonderfull you are!

Inflated ego... Wish you hadn't chose the breed csv to help boost it
tupacs2legs jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 22:57   #114
Nebulosa

Send a message via ICQ to Nebulosa Send a message via MSN to Nebulosa Send a message via Skype™ to Nebulosa

Have you ever thought that you're being unfair with this forum?
People tried to help you with open heart several times, you simply havent listened.
patience is something limited even to wolfdog owners and time is quite precious to waste, when people have the feeling that they lost time trying to help you, their patience will gone.

There are some topics talking about problems related to Crying Wolf kennel, Lupis ( our loved fake, as , even if massively criticized, sometimes he talks the truth) even warned you about what you were doing.
Seems like you havent warned your friend about it, or to search more about what dog she was importing, she simply played as expert and brought a problematic dog to your land, after see it was a problem she simply throwed him away like a toy in your hands, and it was your problem.

Some people here knows you tried to sell Pollux because they found your advertisement at internet, including me, at the same time you opened new topics here to show how Pollux was improving and how good dog he is/will be, which also gave the impression that these topics were done with the intention of show to people how wrong they were about Pollux due he being a Crying wolf and how your friend and you were right. (i'm not telling it was the intention, but it was interpreted in this way for some people, believe me)

After you write how experienced you are, how prepared you are, how good trainer you are, how prepared and experts people you know, you came with this topic saying that you want to find a new home for Pollux, and ended it telling you will give him to a "wangler"... and you keep telling that it would be a fine choice because you're the best and that's it, even when people is worried not only with the future of Pollux but also with the reflects of a possible exposure of the breed... how do you think people will react? Kiss you and thank you for all the wasted time for nothing, or for the possible problem you can add the breed?

Last edited by Nebulosa; 07-07-2011 at 23:05.
Nebulosa jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 23:45   #115
Vicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunas Mom View Post
Our initial hope was to place him in a performance/show home which would require he be kept intact. So far, the "Saarloos mix" accusations have not been confirmed, and I would still place him on a co-own contract, intact. Just because a dog is in a home intact does not mean he will be bred.
Taking in the whole thread, I don't think the criticism is so much for placing him intact as it was placing him with THAT particular home, intact. He obviously wasn't meant to be shown if he went with the man in CA, and I have to also disagree with the idea that it would be fine to breed Pollux as part of a working film dog line. The whole point of organizations breeding their own lines of dogs for work (at least, in my opinion) is to get the best quality possible, by having complete control of breeding. If this is the case, and you're breeding dogs for film, why would you sabotage yourself by starting out with stock that is known to be shy? Regardless of whether the shyness was caused by breeding or by Pollux's early start in life, I personally wouldn't want to take that chance if temperament was going to be such a crucial factor in the dogs I hoped to produce. Honestly, if the man backed out of taking Pollux, I wouldn't be surprised if the shyness issues were part of the reason. Like I said, you'd want to give yourself the best start possible, just like starting any breeding program.

I know I already said it, but I really, really wish we were in a position to help you out with Pollux! For our next dog, I really wanted one I could get more involved with in regards to training goals, and working with him would be exactly the sort of thing I'd be looking for. I swear, if I weren't about to drop a baby in the next few weeks, you might have to deal with me bugging you about him more!

Regardless of what happens, good luck finding him a good home. There's a reason the wrangler didn't work out, there's obviously a better home for Pollux out there somewhere.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:34   #116
Tazer

I never said you said you are a Saint...just your posts in reference to taking Pollux on, read like you expect us to view you as such.

Also, I wasn't angry, more like incredulous.

Now, I just really can't be bothered to continue to waste my time.

Hopefully Pollux will get a home with understanding owners, who are able to love him for the dog he is, not the dog they want him to be, or for the money he could provide.

Taz
Old 11-08-2011, 04:58   #117
Gypsy Wolf

You can view me however you like - we took Pollux on to foster and place as we feel a commitment to the breed as well as really liking the dog himself. Despite skittishness, he really has a very unique, funny and sweet personality. As I mentioned before, we have been involved in fostering and placing rescue dogs of other breeds and have homed upwards of 16 dogs. I personally have always felt not only as a breeder, but as a steward of a breed, you owe it to asist in rescue efforts. For those who are so critical - do you rescue or just criticize those who do?
I am happy to report that Pollux has found his forever home, and that he (and we) met some interesting people who also generously gave of themselves for his sake.
A firefighter was the first to want to adopt him - a local home and a perfect owner for Pollux... however, the firefighter's girlfriend was not such a fan, so Pollux was returned. The firefighter was so committed to Pollux, however, that until Pollux was adopted, the firefighter would come over on his days off and take Pollux out - to Starbuck's, to run around at the park, to visit people - great for Pollux to get out and socialize.
His forever home found him just recently - a police officer and his wife - both of whom were totally committed to Pollux. The police officer grew up with a 3/4 Timber Wolf/GSD mix so Pollux's wolfy shyness didn't bother him at all. The wife was also not at all worried about any of the skittishness - and I made sure they both knew all of Pollux's "strange" habits/behaviors before they took him home for a "trial period"... The home is local - which is great as I was not only able to personally verify the home, but also return to give lessons to help him settle in.
I am happy to say that Pollux fell in love with his new people and is VERY happy being an "only dog." He bonded with them very quickly - and they love him completely - quirky behaviors and all. He will be neutered and is a very-much-loved pet - climbing into their laps and kissing and just so happy to be somewhere where he is not expected to be anything other than the goofy sweet puppy he really is.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:41   #118
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Well, we all can just keep our fingers crossed and hope that Pollux will not need to change his home again.

Maybe his new owner would like to join the forum? Guess we all became a little attached to Pollux through all his "adventures", starting with his flight from Europe...

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:53   #119
Tassle

For the record....Yes - I rescue (two of my current dogs are) and I do a lot of home checking, I deal with behaviour calls for a local rescue centre and Will do private rehomes as we are seen as the local 'dog' people!
I am sure many others on here do similar if not more, possibly it might be worth checking before suggesting that people are just in it to 'criticise'.

I am very glad Pollux has found his forever home and wish him all the luck with it.

It would be nice for the owners to join and share how they are doing with him. It would be lovely to see him in his forever home with people who want him for him
Old 11-08-2011, 15:16   #120
Tazer

its great that it sounds like Pollux has found his forever home, where he's wanted for who he is. Would be nice if the new owners would join and post updates on his progress.

Taz