Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Sport & training

Sport & training Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs as working dogs - how to train, how to teach new elements, information about competitions and training seminars...

Old 31-03-2010, 02:23   #1
Gypsy Wolf

Default Water Sports and the CsV

Hi all,
We live here in sunny, warm South Florida and I was wondering if anyone has done any water sports (water rescue training, dock diving, etc.) with their CsV?
Luna has shown interest in water - leaping and playing in puddles and baby pools but I have not taken her to the intracoastal or ocean yet. We can't swim in most ponds here in FL for obvious reasons (alligators) but I may see if she takes to a pool.
It would end up being at least good exercise for her to teach her to swim...
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 03:41   #2
roo

Hi Luna's Mom,

Yes, we live in hot, balmy, swampy, south Louisiana. Cescie Bell LOVES the water and loves to go swimming in the lakes and ponds all the time. She's done some dock diving, but nothing along the lines of a disciplined training regimen. She's a great swimmer (webbed feet), can go for hours with rarely tiring out, and really loves to jump in and out on the bank and get as muddy as possible.

As you know we also share the alligator issue here in Louisiana, but I have been lucky in that she hasn't actually been able to actually catch one yet, so they gators are hopefully safe (at least up to now).

It's likely dependent on each individual dog, but Cescie has always had what seems to be a natural love for the water, so I've tried to work that into our exercise regimen as it appears to really work great for her and be excellent exercise. It also provides a great relief and cool down after a good run during in the hotter summers. I would say that there is a lot of potential for this breed to excel in certain forms of water-related training, especially if started at an early age.

- Robert
roo jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 03:53   #3
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunas Mom View Post
Hi all,
We live here in sunny, warm South Florida and I was wondering if anyone has done any water sports (water rescue training, dock diving, etc.) with their CsV?
Luna has shown interest in water - leaping and playing in puddles and baby pools but I have not taken her to the intracoastal or ocean yet. We can't swim in most ponds here in FL for obvious reasons (alligators) but I may see if she takes to a pool.
It would end up being at least good exercise for her to teach her to swim...
Hello Lunas mom

I have play water rescue whit Hronec two summers now (Hronsek´s brother), first we swim out 250m into the lake and after that he has to drag me al the way back, I also trained him this summer to swim out and bring the life buoy back, next step was to let him swim out whit the life buoy to a person far out, but it got to cold in the water for anybody to swim out I have a dry suite, but I cant save my self and be one the shore at the same time

But I´m not a pro, It´s just for fun, but now he can at least save me if I get a cramp in the middle of the lake

I use my own life buoy whit a orange fetch dog toy on a rope, I do not know if he will go fetch the real think in a real situation yet... probably not

I will play more this summer and I´m going to bring my camera and some friends, maybe I can post some photos here later...

Any advise on how I can do my play rescue training more real is much appriciated.

Very best regards / Mikael

Last edited by Mikael; 31-03-2010 at 03:56. Reason: text error
Mikael jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 08:37   #4
Teshi
Mutti

http://www.wolfdog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11305

Our friends from the Netherlands have much water rescue experience.

LG Franziska
Old 31-03-2010, 08:37   #5
Hanka

Send a message via ICQ to Hanka Send a message via Skype™ to Hanka

Yes, Mijke from Holland does it. ask her:
http://www.wolfdog.org/drupal/cs/gallery/subcat/0/1263/
Hanka jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 13:30   #6
Vicky

I think the CsV has a great future with search and rescue, and water rescue is a great aspect of it! I could see dogs that have been trained in tracking doing water rescue as a next step. I can see it now, a whole CsV rescue brigade!
Old 31-03-2010, 18:54   #7
Gypsy Wolf

I didn't realize the CsV was such a water dog! Especially since the first time I exposed Luna to water was bathing her - and found out she HATES baths. So I was surprised that she decided to jump into the puddles and baby pool...
Also, I am embarrassed to say, she PEED in the baby pool!
I have only seen one other dog do that in all my 17 years of dog training experience - and it was my own working line Malinois bitch... Goddess help me if this is indicative of similarities between the two... I hope I have the intestinal fortitude to deal with a strong, energetic, brilliant and bratty bitch!
So we'll see about the water... I am hoping to hit the beach or intracoastal soon to see how she likes it...
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote