Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Sport & training

Sport & training Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs as working dogs - how to train, how to teach new elements, information about competitions and training seminars...

Old 05-10-2003, 19:51   #1
fenris

Default Dog-muzzle

Looking through the historic pictures on this website one can see several dogs trained with a dog-muzzle.
I would like advice as to the proper use of this training-tool: what types of muzzles?,l nagative effects?, where to buy? &.c. I plan to use it when training offleash among wild game (which is abundant around our place).

Fenris
fenris jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2004, 00:49   #2
mijke

Default Re: Dog-muzzle

Hi Fenris,

On acount of your reply about CsW in sweden, I read that you had written this message also

I didn't see it before

In Holland we don't train with dog-muzzles and outside a training field it is only used here for agressive dogs.
(but when a dog has a dog-muzzle he can't express himself well to other dogs and sometimes the problems get worse.)

But when I visited other country's in hollidays, my dogs had to wear a muzzle in several city's and with traveling by boat or train!
Before, they got used to the muzzle to wear it sometimes at home. And so later on it was no problem ( and had no negative effect) to use the muzzle in holidays.

But I never use a muzzle when they are offleash. Personal I think it's better to teach them hunting is not aloud. Because also with a muzzle they can go hunting on rabbits, deers etc. And I don't want that they do these things.

I don't know all the different types, but in tsechie and poland I saw very handy ones (they are not for sale in holland). And there they did use it also sometimes with games or training (when you have to carry a strange dog )

greetings,
mijke
mijke jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2004, 15:00   #3
z Peronówki
VIP Member

Send a message via MSN to z Peronówki Send a message via Skype™ to z Peronówki
Default Re: Dog-muzzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenris
Looking through the historic pictures on this website one can see several dogs trained with a dog-muzzle.
You know the old description of a dog which recruits learned in the army or police?
"A "complete" dog consists of a actual dog, dog-muzzle, collar and leash.

But also now we need it while training with a Wolfdog: there are some tests in obedience (testing if the dog is used to the muzzle) and in protection work (during protection of an object)...

Quote:
I would like advice as to the proper use of this training-tool: what types of muzzles?
There are different types. For a obedience a platic one will be enough. For protection work you will need metal dog-muzzle. There are great muzzles which you can buy in specialized shops which you can put on the dog without unbuckling.

Quote:
I plan to use it when training offleash among wild game (which is abundant around our place).
Fenris
In this case I think the platic muzzle is the best solution: it is light, easy to clean, and most dogs like it....

'Z PERONÓWKI'
FACEBOOK GROUP
z Peronówki jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2004, 18:56   #4
fenris

Thanks for the advice. I have now used a steel-wired dog-muzzle for approx 6 weeks on 2 of my dogs. It is wide and long enough for the dog to breath with a wide open mouth and they can drink water in the lake without taking it off. They accept it without hesitation. But I would recommend that the muzzle is LARGE ENOUGH!"

Fenris
fenris jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 15:48   #5
G.D.K's

Recommending a good muzzle.
I use the German Muzzle Special Police Model .... it's a bit expensive 260$US from the NET but it's worth it. You have to see it to believe it..... I got one from a dude that make Dog's train gear in my country... our army dog unity use it also.

I don't know in norway but i know a good kennels in sweden that works with PitBulls and also make leather equipment.

Old 19-07-2004, 15:56   #6
z Peronówki
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.D.K's
Recommending a good muzzle.
I use the German Muzzle Special Police Model .... it's a bit expensive 260$US from the NET but it's worth it.
Usualy we use something else:

(in the middle is the one for CzW)

Is is light, the dog can still bark and you can really fast take it off so the dog can be prepared to attack criminal withing few seconds...

'Z PERONÓWKI'
FACEBOOK GROUP
Old 19-07-2004, 16:07   #7
G.D.K's

I know, the old owner of Cezar use it.

(Cezar with the muzzle)

I like to work with leather muzzles, when i work with a muzzle attack it's better (for my object) to work with leather muzzles.

but u right with the
Quote:
Is is light, the dog can still bark and you can really fast take it off so the dog can be prepared to attack criminal withing few seconds..
The German Muzzle Special Police Model are hard to get off from the dog... but it will never bark, the Muzzle Special Police Model really for barking to a house from the window (he got this IRON in the front).
Old 19-07-2004, 18:07   #8
Pavel

Send a message via Skype™ to Pavel

G.D.K's and Margo wrote about 2 different things.
The leather muzzle is training muzzle, used for special police dog training. Its call in czech "punch with the muzzle". By practically police operations is normally steel muzzle used (the hitting with steel muzzle have the effect, because with muzzle can good trained dog very hurt the criminals, but nobody can say, that policeman let the dog biting - its a small trick against most law). But for training is better this leather soft muzzle, because dog dont hurt self with it.
Margo wrote about normally using muzzle by e.g. travelling with dog by train. For this using is enought normally cheap steel muzzle.

Pavel
Pavel jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2004, 01:32   #9
z Peronówki
VIP Member

Quote:
G.D.K's and Margo wrote about 2 different things.
No We are just talking about our preferences...

Quote:
By practically police operations is normally steel muzzle used (the hitting with steel muzzle have the effect, because with muzzle can good trained dog very hurt the criminals, but nobody can say, that policeman let the dog biting - its a small trick against most law).
Old story... We used with such steel muzzles while training with the German Shepherd Dogs. I still have one at home. It is 15 years old... Real antique ...

Quote:
Margo wrote about normally using muzzle by e.g. travelling with dog by train. For this using is enought normally cheap steel muzzle.
So we are back again to the preferences...
Light steel muzzle I prefer for training. As I wrote you can easy take it off and not spend a lot time trying to put it on. Of course I will not recommend them to owners of agressive dogs because also the dogs can easy take the off. For for normal dogs it is really OK...

For traveling I will never take a steel muzzle. Normally our dogs travel without any muzzle because we don't want to scare people (dog with muzzle = agressive dog ) but we always have plastic muzzle with us. It is much less problematic than this made of steel and more 'calming down'...

'Z PERONÓWKI'
FACEBOOK GROUP
Old 20-07-2004, 02:49   #10
G.D.K's

I will tray to work with the steel muzzle ... I like leather (my opinion) ..
leather muzzle never disappointing me... with the German Muzzle, i never seen a dog take it off (also in the army).

a normal leather muzzle (10-20US$) ... never disappointing me, also, easy take it off, the one problem the dog also some time take it of, and when u work with agressive dog, i don't think u want it off

G.D.K's KID with Dudi's May

there is one thing i don't like in steel muzzle ... when u work in muzzle attack, the object can stick his fingers in the muzzle.

BTW... we talk about leather how are my Dog's collar's (i tape the NAME on it) ?
Old 24-04-2007, 17:38   #11
fizban

Default Muzzles

Hello,

I'm looking for a decent muzzle (allowing the dog to bark, pant, drink, express his signals), but I can't find what I'm looking for here in Italy..
In Italy we have to keep the dog on the leash OR to wear muzzle in public places AND we have to use leash and muzzle if we travel with bus, train etc. BUT I don't want my dog not to be able to do something while wearing a muzzle.

Specifically, I'd like the kind of muzzle shown in this picture:
http://wolfdog.org/ita/gallery/pic30242.html

I think they are pretty common in Slovakia and in the Czech Republic (I've been told so, and the cz or sk pictures on wolfdog.org are full of those kind of muzzles), but I can't find them online either. Maybe I'm looking for too much generic queries on google, but I can't really find one!

Could someone point me to the right direction.. or help me getting one, pretty please?

I'd appreciate a link, or if someone would be so kind to buy me one in their countries and send it to me (I'd obviously pay muzzle+shipping+extra_if_needed first) it'd be GREAT.

I'm sorry for this kind of post, if it violates any rule feel free to remove it. If sending me links by replying to the thread would be considered spam, feel free to private message me

Thanks and sorry if I get to p*ss off someone, it's not my intent!
Old 24-04-2007, 17:44   #12
massimo

Send a message via ICQ to massimo Send a message via MSN to massimo

it's important to know the size of the muzzle to take first.
I don't think you can get it online.
I will go to prague within 10 days and I have been requested to buy a couple.
If you let me know what size more or less your dog is (is he adult or will he still grow?) maybe I can take back one more.
The cost is very little (max 4-5 euros) but it will be useless if it's too big or small.
However i confirm it's really excellent.

Old 24-04-2007, 19:22   #13
Mirkawolf

Send a message via ICQ to Mirkawolf Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkawolf

Yes, these muzzles are very common in Czech republic. For CSW, usually you ask muzzle sized for German shepherds. If you have female or male with small head, you usually take female GSD muzzle. For males like Oliver you definatelly take muzzle for male GSD.
However, it is always better if you can go and try the muzzle on your dog. There is several different kinds of these muzzles and it can happen, that even if you have female sized muzzle for female CSW, it will not fit well. (Obviously you can´t do it, if you are in Italy and have the muzzle imported, so you have to take the risk).
Old 25-04-2007, 08:52   #14
Hanka

Send a message via ICQ to Hanka Send a message via Skype™ to Hanka

Hello Fizban,
write me to privat e-mail, I can help you
[email protected]
Hanka jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2007, 21:55   #15
fizban

Thanks everyone!