Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Health and nutrition

Health and nutrition How to feed a Wolfdog, information about dog food, how to vaccinate and what to do if the dog gets ill....

Old 08-02-2010, 19:46   #41
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanninadina View Post
Bla bla bla, Monika and Edit is good and Ina and Margo is bad... Bla bla blaaaaa... / Christian
Hmmmmmm... OK ok ok, we get it, you like Mutaras and Inbreeding

And Ina did not sell you a puppy... we know !!!

/ Mikael

Last edited by Mikael; 08-02-2010 at 19:50.
Mikael jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 13:05   #42
hanninadina

Send a message via Skype™ to hanninadina

Mikael, what kind of "originally post from me" is that one you posted? I never wrote such a post "Edit and Monika are good....".

In the opposite to you I know all these people personally and I don´t live only in internet but drive to poland, czech republik, spain, holland, france, canada, the us, to meet wolf and wolfdog people. So I can make a realistic picture from everything and not only from listening to people who are champion in forum and miss real life.

Christian
hanninadina jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 18:23   #43
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanninadina View Post
In the opposite to you I know all these people personally and I don´t live only in internet but drive to poland, czech republik, spain, holland, france, canada, the us, to meet wolf and wolfdog people. So I can make a realistic picture from everything and not only from listening to people who are champion in forum and miss real life.

Christian
And you think this and your last post has to do whit "handling of health problems" Hmmmmmmm... your mental health maybe

Yes I travel to, and therefor I know one can not drive to US and Canada if you do not drive a boat

Regards / Mikael
Old 08-06-2010, 14:16   #44
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Didn't want to start a new topic, so will ask here.
Could you please share your experience about false pregnancy? Is it common in our breed? I didn't meet any cases, but my experience is really very little...

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 15:14   #45
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaiva View Post
Could you please share your experience about false pregnancy? Is it common in our breed? I didn't meet any cases, but my experience is really very little...
My bitch Frei had a couple of false pregnancies. That's why I want to breed with her as often as possible (she got in heat before her real pregnancy every 6 months). The first false pregnancy was worse, as I was not at home and my parents were quite surprised by it, they even went to vet to check if she is not pregnant. She almost started the milk production. Second time she only got really fat and refused to go for walks and wanted to eat all the time (that was after her real pregnancy). Both times she was not mated. This heat is developing very slow, and maybe will be skipped altogether, as she now seems to have stopped without going through the strong bleeding phase, and if she gets in the mating phase before mid-August, I will not be able to mate her, so we will see... I hope she decided to skip the spring heat this time...

My previous bitch Kei never had false pregnancy, but she had pyometra twice, both times when she was pregnant (first time she delivered 8 pups, second time was acute and she had to be sterilised).
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 21:12   #46
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Quote:
Originally Posted by saschia View Post
My bitch Frei had a couple of false pregnancies.
I see your girl requires some strenght from you
Let's say, it is said, that some of the breeds tend to have false pregnancies very often - like Irish setters (correct me if it is not true). Can we say that wolfdogs are also similar? Or is it mostly the exceptions?

Old 09-06-2010, 09:56   #47
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaiva View Post
I see your girl requires some strenght from you
Let's say, it is said, that some of the breeds tend to have false pregnancies very often - like Irish setters (correct me if it is not true). Can we say that wolfdogs are also similar? Or is it mostly the exceptions?
I'd say it is more exceptional... From what I read, if a bitch has false pregnancy, it tents to repeat. But there are still only few wolfdogs with this problem I think.
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:02   #48
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Quote:
Originally Posted by saschia View Post
I'd say it is more exceptional... From what I read, if a bitch has false pregnancy, it tents to repeat. But there are still only few wolfdogs with this problem I think.
Well, the topic is not very popular, so maybe it is really not very common in the breed. Thanks for sharing your experience

Old 10-06-2010, 01:17   #49
mijke

Hmmmm.... I don't think it is very seldom.
And I think there are also in CsW breed a lot more cases with fertility problems!
But it is not common to speak about this in fora

I know several CsW females from different lines that:
  • Did not come in heat a all
  • Have very strange heats (and comparing to other breeds abnormal heats)
  • Have strange times (comparing to other breeds) for ready for covering (up till more than 60 days ater first day of heat)
  • Were covered but never sucesfull
  • Did have false pregnancy
  • Pups were seen on echo but were never born
A lot of these females I mention did have examinations and everything seems to be fine.

Maybe it is interesting to open a new topic for this subject!?

PS: I am not a moderator anymore!!
http://www.ursidaestee.wolfdog.org/voor%20wolfdog/handtekening/New%20format%20banner%20Wg.jpg

Last edited by mijke; 10-06-2010 at 01:19.
mijke jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:14   #50
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijke View Post
Hmmmm.... I don't think it is very seldom.
And I think there are also in CsW breed a lot more cases with fertility problems!
But it is not common to speak about this in fora

I know several CsW females from different lines that:
  • Did not come in heat a all
  • Have very strange heats (and comparing to other breeds abnormal heats)
  • Have strange times (comparing to other breeds) for ready for covering (up till more than 60 days ater first day of heat)
  • Were covered but never sucesfull
  • Did have false pregnancy
  • Pups were seen on echo but were never born
A lot of these females I mention did have examinations and everything seems to be fine.

Maybe it is interesting to open a new topic for this subject!?
I tried to speak about these kinds of problems on topic "In season", but it would be really good to have a separate topic about the possible fertility problems in our breed. On the database we can find so many bitches, that had good bonitation, HD, training, show results, but never had offsprings - guess in most of the cases it is a question of fertility

Old 10-06-2010, 09:08   #51
Silvester

Default Female CsW health problems

Originally posted by Vaiva:

"1. Did not come in heat a all "

That also can have a lot of reasons which have nothing to do with genetical health of bitch - as for example wrong and too less food, sickness by infection or mental stress by low ranking social status in a group of dogs with very dominant or / and much older other bitch.

"2. Were covered but never sucesfull / Did have false pregnancy /Pups were seen on echo but were never born ..."

This also can easily happen without any genetical lack, just by social reasons as i wrote before.
It´s very common and often seen also by female wolves which are living in captivity in a too small area or with too much stress.

Greetings, Silvester

Last edited by Silvester; 10-06-2010 at 09:10. Reason: Printing mistake
Silvester jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:14   #52
Silvester

Default Correction

Sorry, i made mistake:

This was of course first and originally posted not by Vaiva but by mijke !

Silvester
Silvester jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:17   #53
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvester View Post
That also can have a lot of reasons which have nothing to do with genetical health of bitch - as for example wrong and too less food, sickness by infection or mental stress by low ranking social status in a group of dogs with very dominant or / and much older other bitch.
I totally agree. This happens in other breeds too.
But still wolfdogs seem to be much more difficult than other breeds. Our vet seems really excited with Brukne - this year her heat started at... February 1st. She was bleeding very little, not too much atention from males - just like in two previous heats. We were making smears, checking progesteron and estrogen, it showed she is on a normal proestrus, just estrus was not comming On April 19th-20th she stopped, so I thought this heat will end unsuccesfully like the ones before. But then she started bleeding heavily and to smell for neighbours' dogs and was mated on 11th of May So more that three months in total

Old 10-06-2010, 12:48   #54
woland77
Gran figl de putt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvester View Post
Originally posted by Vaiva:

"1. Did not come in heat a all "

"2. Were covered but never sucesfull / Did have false pregnancy /Pups were seen on echo but were never born ..."

This also can easily happen without any genetical lack, just by social reasons as i wrote before.
It´s very common and often seen also by female wolves which are living in captivity in a too small area or with too much stress.

Greetings, Silvester
What you write is not wrong, but the effect of imbreeding depression on fertility is a phenomenon well established and proven. Rep and his blood was used in very high inbreeding for several generations, it is difficult to believe that this has had no effect.
woland77 jest offline   Reply With Quote