Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Health and nutrition

Health and nutrition How to feed a Wolfdog, information about dog food, how to vaccinate and what to do if the dog gets ill....

Old 08-08-2007, 07:53   #41
nicholas

Is it normal for the dog to start again haing diarhoea? SInce the day before yesterday he has been having diarhoea again. Tomorrow he is supposed to start the second phase wiht valbazen.

Thanks again
nicholas jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:24   #42
michaelundinaeichhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Is it normal for the dog to start again haing diarhoea? SInce the day before yesterday he has been having diarhoea again. Tomorrow he is supposed to start the second phase wiht valbazen.

Thanks again
Giardia very often start a second time, that´s the reason for the second treatment.
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 22:25   #43
nicholas

The strange thing is that yesterday the results of the test came out. After the first treatmetn with valbazen both test (feces from 2 different days) came out negative. I used to give him some pills ( natural supplements) for his intestinal flora. Once i stopped them he returned to diarhoea. The other problem i am facing wiht him is that he still eats his feces. All this sounds strange to me since his tests are negative. Any thoughts as to why he is eating the feces? With regads to the diarhoea i suppose that i will have to continue the bacteria for a larger period of time.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:14   #44
michaelundinaeichhorn

Quote:
The strange thing is that yesterday the results of the test came out. After the first treatmetn with valbazen both test (feces from 2 different days) came out negative. I used to give him some pills ( natural supplements) for his intestinal flora. Once i stopped them he returned to diarhoea. The other problem i am facing wiht him is that he still eats his feces. All this sounds strange to me since his tests are negative. Any thoughts as to why he is eating the feces? With regads to the diarhoea i suppose that i will have to continue the bacteria for a larger period of time.
After such a long period of diarhoea it takes a much longer time till the normal intestinal flora is restored, especially in such a young dog that is still building up it´s intestinal flora. You sometimes have negativ results and a week later positvs so I wouldn´t rely on this too. I would continue the second treatment and the pills, the pills for at least 3-4 weeks.
Old 14-08-2007, 19:41   #45
nicholas

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelundinaeichhorn View Post
After such a long period of diarhoea it takes a much longer time till the normal intestinal flora is restored, especially in such a young dog that is still building up it´s intestinal flora. You sometimes have negativ results and a week later positvs so I wouldn´t rely on this too. I would continue the second treatment and the pills, the pills for at least 3-4 weeks.
We finished wiht his second treatment but he is still haveing soft feces. SOmetimes formed sometimes not. When is ti appropriate for me to wait for "normal" feces from Tristan?
Old 14-08-2007, 20:42   #46
michaelundinaeichhorn

Well, we had two dogs that we got with severe intestinal problems from the breeder out of nearly the same reasons. It seemed they had the problems some time before we got them. It took one of them, which was allready 1,5 years and no puppy, 6 month till it was stabilized, it will take your puppy several weeks and it very likely will react sensible to everything for several month.
But be sure that there didn´t occur a second problem like pathogen bacterias or other parasites.
Old 14-08-2007, 20:48   #47
nicholas

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelundinaeichhorn View Post
But be sure that there didn´t occur a second problem like pathogen bacterias or other parasites.

To be honest, once he turned out positive to Giardia, all other tests were stopped. He was examined with 7 different tests for 7 different parasites from feces sample. I suppose that there is no other parasite involved. But i have never heard of pathogen bacteria. What do you mean by that?
Old 14-08-2007, 20:51   #48
nicholas

Quote:
To be honest, once he turned out positive to Giardia, all other tests were stopped. He was examined with 7 different tests for 7 different parasites from feces sample. I suppose that there is no other parasite involved. But i have never heard of pathogen bacteria. What do you mean by that?

In addition to the above, what has stroke me is tha fact that he has been having gas hat smell a lot. As he gets older he is having gas more frequently.
Old 14-08-2007, 21:04   #49
nicholas

Quote:
In addition to the above, what has stroke me is tha fact that he has been having gas hat smell a lot. As he gets older he is having gas more frequently.
I have been trying to find a good probiotic supplement on the web but wiht no success. Can you recomend anything that i may try to find in Greece?
Old 15-08-2007, 08:33   #50
michaelundinaeichhorn

You can use a good probiotic joghurt for humans, Bird Bene Bac, Cani Bac, many companies have one your vet will know one. It is in discussion if anything of it comes to a dogs intestine because the pH of the stomach is so very low and kills most of the bacterias.
The intestins have a normal bacterial flora that is very important for their function and is a protection against other bacterias like Salmonella and pathogen Escherichia coli families (there a E.coli that should be in the intestines, not all are pathogen!) or Klebsiella or Candida (which is a fungus) and so on. When a dog has diarrhea a longer time the normal flora gets disturbed, especially in young dogs that are still building it up. You can help them with special diet over a longer time (there are commercial ones for intestinal problems that work quite good) but it takes some time till everything works really well, through this time your dog will be sensible to everything knew for the intestines, stress, bacterias and parasites.
I normally treat the Giardia twice, if diarrhea continues I send a sample to a veterinary lab for all parasites (inclusive Giardia again), mycological testing and bacterial testing. In Germany you can do this in one package and it is not that expensive. I also give every dog with longer problems a special intestinal diet until they have normal feces for about one or two weeks and then trye to change back in steps to normal food. The diet gives the intestines a rest and helps them to build up a normal flora again.
But this is how I treat it, your vet may have another opinion.
And again it takes time, don´t get to fixed on your dogs feces.
Old 15-08-2007, 11:16   #51
nicholas

Thank you very much for all the info. They run on him the pacjage of tests you said. However i will disagree on the cost issue. Despite that it was not an issue for me, the 4 days he spent in the clinic cost me c. 1500 Euros. I want what is best for him and i wil not hesitate to pay whatever amount. The problem is that in Greece there is only one chain of pet shops which does not have a wide variety of such products like probiotics for dogs. I will ned up ordering something from an online store.

Thank you again for all your help.

Best,
Nicholas
Old 03-09-2007, 17:28   #52
Mirkawolf

Send a message via ICQ to Mirkawolf Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkawolf

So after all this time, how is the puppy doing now? Is everything o.k., the giardia gone and the dog growing up? If you have some photos, share with us.
Old 29-09-2007, 20:53   #53
nicholas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirkawolf1 View Post
So after all this time, how is the puppy doing now? Is everything o.k., the giardia gone and the dog growing up? If you have some photos, share with us.

Hi all, it has been quite a while since i last wrote cause my pc was broken down.Tristan is just fine now, he has gained weight, he is very active and joyful. However still ther is a problem with his intestine. He is still on probiotics and very sensitive to any change in his diet.
Other than that he is just fine!!!
Old 29-09-2007, 21:08   #54
nicholas

These are soem pics of him......He is a very beautiful dog....!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tistan 6 Months 1.jpg (36.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Tistan 6 Months 2.jpg (19.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Tistan 6 Months 3.jpg (25.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 29-09-2007, 21:33   #55
Julia

Very nice photos !

Egeine poli oreo skili, xairome pou eintos pio kala.

Xairetismous
Old 29-09-2007, 23:48   #56
Mirkawolf

Send a message via ICQ to Mirkawolf Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkawolf

Quote:
Hi all, it has been quite a while since i last wrote cause my pc was broken down.Tristan is just fine now, he has gained weight, he is very active and joyful. However still ther is a problem with his intestine. He is still on probiotics and very sensitive to any change in his diet.
Other than that he is just fine!!!
That´s good news! The stomach might settle down with time, hopefully.

And thank you for the pics, Tristan looks great