Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Health and nutrition

Health and nutrition How to feed a Wolfdog, information about dog food, how to vaccinate and what to do if the dog gets ill....

Old 29-04-2009, 15:45   #1
tupacs2legs
rookie

Send a message via ICQ to tupacs2legs
Default advice please

hi does anyone have any information and/or advice on hygromas in csv i know it is a large breed problem but does anyone have any experience with csv's and hygromas? my five month puppy has them on his elbows already! regards from london
tupacs2legs jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 00:05   #2
massimo

Send a message via ICQ to massimo Send a message via MSN to massimo

I cannot give you advice but share personal experience.
My first experience with Hygromas (liquid under the elbows) was with my dog Lunatica Crying Wolf.
She had them on both elbows.
I made the great mistake to let my vet take the liquid out with syringe on one of the elbow.
It returned worst than before
I took away liquid again... again it returned.
At 1 year old, considering she is small, the elbow i took liquid from bacame very bad, so I decided to operate her and take a way the small cushion which is under the elbow.
It resulted perfectly and never had problems since.
on the other elbow, the one I never took liquid away from and which was never touched... the hygroma disappeared with time.
I spoke to several people and all confirmed same behaviour.
What would I do if it happened again? leave it, let it be, till 1 year or 15 months, then if necessary directly operate and take the "cushion" off
Massimo
Old 30-04-2009, 00:27   #3
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupacs2legs View Post
hi does anyone have any information and/or advice on hygromas in csv i know it is a large breed problem but does anyone have any experience with csv's and hygromas? my five month puppy has them on his elbows already! regards from london
Hello, sad to hear that your puppy is not healthy

Have you contact the breeder of this puppy ???

Is it a pure pedigree CsV ??? have you contacted the other puppy buyers,
to se if there is others that has the same problems ???

I do not know about how common it might be on the CsV breed, or if / how hereditary it is, maybe someone knows and can school us...

Best regards / Mikael
Old 30-04-2009, 06:53   #4
michaelundinaeichhorn

Hygromas result out of mechanic trauma of this region in younger dogs of bigger breeds and are not genetic. Aspiration mostly gives the results Massimo wrote of and the risk of bacterial infection. In my experience it is best to sew two cussions into the arms of a shirt and let the dog wear that shirt for a while to avoid former trauma. In most cases they dissapear by themselve when the dog gets older and/or the traumatic reason dissapears.
Surgery has a big risc of not healing sutures and ifektion and should only be used in very few cases.
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 10:05   #5
Hanka

Send a message via ICQ to Hanka Send a message via Skype™ to Hanka

Like this?
http://www.wolfdog.org/drupal/en/gallery/pic/43528/

Czech breedcomission knows about 10 dogs with it. There are dogs with one family too (son and father)......
Hanka jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:12   #6
solowolf

Quote:
Hi Layla, has your dog taken a knock? is the condition in both legs? you have huskies and other dogs as well maybe it was hurt by one of the others? did you read up on CSV before buying? did breeder not give advise on rearing a CSV? You told this breeder I refused to sell you a CVS, and I advised the breeder that i refused to sell you wolfdog as you already had to many dogs , and that it would be impossable to give a CVS the time and attension it needed, I have seen a lot of this litter and they are all o.k., so in all probability your dog has suffered a knock, it can also be caused by over excersing a fast growing young dog, going up and down stairs, there are lots of things can cause it, draining the fluid can be done but it is not a cure and may cause infection if repeatedly drained, pressure bandage can also be used but again this can push fluid to lower and upper leg, rest the dog cut down on excercise, it looks terrible but this is not a painful problem for the dog. i hope your wolfdog recovers quickly..paul winder
solowolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 21:48   #7
mijke

I did see this "problem" with several young wolfdogs!
And in most of these cases the owners did have a stone floor. Sometimes it was helpfull to give the dog `soft` places to lay down.
And in all the cases I know, it did dissapear by themselve when the dog did become older.

PS: I am not a moderator anymore!!
http://www.ursidaestee.wolfdog.org/voor%20wolfdog/handtekening/New%20format%20banner%20Wg.jpg
mijke jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 22:41   #8
wera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanka View Post
Like this?
http://www.wolfdog.org/drupal/en/gallery/pic/43528/

Czech breedcomission knows about 10 dogs with it. There are dogs with one family too (son and father)......

aslan yes it had and it was even worse after puncturing at the vet. in the worst of times, it was golf ball size.
we have him then a homeopatischen middle ( myosotic from Heel), and soft seats, and thus it was better.
after a year, it was gone.

Hunde kommen, wenn sie gerufen werden.
TWH`S nehmen die Mitteilung zur Kenntnis und kommen gelegentlich darauf zurück...
wera jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:36   #9
Hanka

Send a message via ICQ to Hanka Send a message via Skype™ to Hanka

hello Wera, I used Aslan´s picture only as "ilustration picture" (if it is right what I mean), I could´not see some other picture in this moment.
So maybe he had some similar problem, injury, etc........
bye Hanka
Hanka jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:11   #10
freewild

Send a message via MSN to freewild Send a message via Skype™ to freewild

Quote:

hi i had actualy with my wolfdog some hygromat

in fact it depend here tehy live here they sleep

and it depend of the mass of bones and the maniere the dog of which lies down it is the repetition of blow at the level of elbows

on breeders of irish said me that :
Then for the hygromas - milifica 5 ch and arnica 5 ch, 3 cachets of every mornings and evening, to give all tube, then to arreter 15 days and begins again if need, + to put some contuzyl salve in the morning and evening.

here the small inforamtion than a have :=)
une vrai passion pour une belle race !
signé fabrice
tout simplement passionné....... et c'est deja ça
freewild jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:28   #11
wera

@ hanka
this is ok really you see it too well on the photo. aslan did it because of my Dogue de Bordeaux in the love to play in the elbow tweaks.

Hunde kommen, wenn sie gerufen werden.
TWH`S nehmen die Mitteilung zur Kenntnis und kommen gelegentlich darauf zurück...
wera jest offline   Reply With Quote