Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Health and nutrition

Health and nutrition How to feed a Wolfdog, information about dog food, how to vaccinate and what to do if the dog gets ill....

Old 07-06-2005, 23:36   #1
freddieboris

Default Aneasthetic

Hello,

We have a dog that we have no idea of breeding and purchased him as an ‘arctic pup’ although he looks at 5 years old very similar to the czechoslovakian wolf dog.

We are looking for any information on anaesthetics for dogs with possible wolf quite urgently as they apparently cannot cope with normal weight/quantities normally administered and he is due for a routine operation tomorrow which we are quite worried about.

If you can give any advice on this we would be very grateful.

Thank you.
freddieboris jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 23:51   #2
Koos

Hello Freddie,

If your vet is using laughing gas, there is hardly any problem, because they use it only during the operation and when the operation is finished, the dog get pure oxigine and is reather clear about 5 minutes,
Then he needs time to recover but after a half an our, he can walk with you to the car and is quiet wellm

Ask your vet for it.

I wish you succes with your dog and don't worry,

Letty
Koos jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:17   #3
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Hi, my wolfdog had no problem with commonly used anaesthetic (injection, not gas), but it started to work very soon. Also make sure you weight the dog before, wolfdogs are lighter for their height than other breeds so just to make sure the dose is proper. She was under anaesthasia three times and never had any subsequent problems. Only I when I had to carry her when she got to sleep in half time than was expected.
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 19:58   #4
Margo

Send a message via Skype™ to Margo Send Message via Gadu Gadu to Margo
Default Aneasthetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddieboris
We are looking for any information on anaesthetics for dogs with possible wolf quite urgently as they apparently cannot cope with normal weight/quantities normally administered
I will not give you exact amount or names of the remedies but our dogs were under anaesthasia already several times (several dogs) - mainly for the X-rays. None of them had any problems with it. In the most cases we needed more remedy than the vet used by other dogs. And they were faster awake....

The customs of your tribe are not laws of nature - George Bernard Shaw
Margo jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 21:47   #5
michaelundinaeichhorn

Hello,

I have the same experience as Margo, Czechoslovakian wolfdogs commonly need more anasthetics and recover more quickly than other breeds. The same is experienced with wolves. There are a lot of modern anasthetics that can be used without any problems even with very old and ill dogs like propofol or isoflurane. Laughing gas is only used for the first minutes of inhalation anasthesia and isn´t the best thing to use for all patients because of some of it´s side effects.
For short time anasthesia the most common thing ist diazepam in combination with propofol if you don´t need a strong analgetic effect.

Regards Ina
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 20:56   #6
freddieboris

Default Aneasthetic

Thank you all for your advice. Our dog is home now and recovering.
freddieboris jest offline   Reply With Quote