Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Breed standard & bonitations

Breed standard & bonitations How typical CzW should look like, measurements and commentaries to the breed standard, information about bonitations and youth presentations....

Old 21-01-2005, 23:45   #1
slarman

Default CzW Scientific name

Hi,
Can someone please tell me the scientific name of this breed as it is necessary to be able to import into Australia e.g. canis familiarisx, or is it something else.I'm really angry with FCI who haven't the courtesy to assist me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Simon
slarman jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2005, 14:24   #2
Danje

Hi Simon,
not sure what you mean, but the full version in English is:
Czechoslovakian Wolfdog.

Re. import I would check with your local Depts.

If I can help more, let me know.

Regards,
Wulfin
Danje jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2005, 17:00   #3
michaelundinaeichhorn

All dog breeds own the same scientific name, as far as I know there is no further classification. It is a dog breed therefor it should be a Canis familiaris.

Ina
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2005, 02:05   #4
Dharkwolf

Send a message via ICQ to Dharkwolf Send a message via MSN to Dharkwolf Send a message via Skype™ to Dharkwolf

Hello there, this is a trick question, on two counts.

First, a few years back there was a reclassification which resulted in the former canis familiaris becoming canis lupus familiaris which means that technically there are currently no animals classed as canis familiaris.

This could be sorted out somehow, by getting people up to date, however, there is a further issue as to the actual classification of the dog. This comes from the Saarloos world because officially Saarloos (though this is second hand information I'm going by, it does seem to make sense) are actually canis lupus familiaris x canis lupus lupus. Thus some officials argue that all wolfdogs are actually not canis lupus familiaris but rather a cross ie: canis lupus familiaris x canis lupus lupus. There is a problem here, with definitions really. All dogs originated as wolves, but they are no longer considered wolves, so the question is after how many generations (or whatever criteria applies) is a line of animals where a dog was crossed with a wolf considered again a line of dogs, rather than a line of dogs crossed with wolves.

I realise slarman that this might not be able to help you out very much, but I hope that at least it will let you understand where the problem lies. What is the classification of Czechoslovakian wolfdogs? To my knowledge they have never been formally classified, though perhaps someone might correct my mistake.
Dharkwolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2005, 11:10   #5
slarman

Hi,
Thanks for your help.The reason for asking is we,in Australia must give this breed a scientific classification to our gov't dept. to enable us to import the dogs(same as UK's DEFRA),however,once we provide this ans show there has not been pure wolf blood bred into the dogs for at least 5 generations we can import without a wildlife licence the same as for any breed of domestic dog.
By the way I know the correct name of the breed,my abbreviation is to save space!
Simon
slarman jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 02:46   #6
kane

Can someone pls explain if 'breeding away' by a number of generations infact dilutes the wolf content out of the Czw? Or is it only a matter of breeding 'pure' Czw's a number of times without diluting with a a pure GSD? So you still end up with a good content line. Can anyone clearly explain what is required by this criteria of '5 generations away'?

I ask this as I want a Czw not a GSD with 1/6 part Czw!!!! If this is the case whats the point of bringin em here to Oz!? Bloody authorities take the fun out of everything!

From what i have found out the Czw is a much more stable 'hybrid' than the north american 'wolfdogs'. A really fantastic balance seems to have been achieved with this breed & it would really suck if we here in Australia never get to see them here...
kane jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 02:56   #7
kane

Ah ok, i needed to read that again...... so as long as no PURE wolf has been bred into the line for at least 5 generations we here in Aus are sweet!! If i used glasses i might have an excuse lol!

In regard to the scientific name all dogs are the same species ; no sub species name. The AKC (US) has gone so far to put wolves and dogs under the same scientific name! I dont believe their is any premises to deny a Czw into australia short of failing quarantine. Im only new to this some of the more experienced persons on here might be able to clarify. The trick is getting a quality line here so as to start a line truly reflective of the Czw. Does any1 know how far away the first Aussie Czw might be away from now? I can see talk going back to the early naughties...
kane jest offline   Reply With Quote