Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous All about Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs...

Old 04-11-2007, 21:06   #1
IceDog

Default Greetings from Iceland

Hi there, my name is Svava and I live in Iceland

I have been studying the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog for some time now and I am in love!!

Unfortunately there aren't any CzW here in Iceland but I am hopefully going to change that in the nearest future.

Until then I want to learn more about the breed and how their personality is and that's why I registered here

I also wanted to know if there were any breeders in here, because I'm having a hard time finding breeders on the internet

Anyway, I hope it's ok for me to be here although I don't have a CzW at the moment
IceDog jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 22:44   #2
Per Olav

Send a message via MSN to Per Olav

Hi Svava and a heartily welcome from Norway. I'm sure you'll find a bag full of useful information on this site regarding the breed. As for kennels please do take a look at the links on both sides of the forum front page.

--
Per Olav

Last edited by Per Olav; 04-11-2007 at 23:31.
Per Olav jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:45   #3
*Satu

Send a message via MSN to *Satu

Greetings from Finland also.

Hopefully you find more info here and other pages.

There is very hard import rules to Iceland?

Satu
Old 05-11-2007, 12:17   #4
IceDog

Yes, it is very expensive and difficult to import a dog to Iceland.

The dogs have to be isolated for a month when they arrive from the airport and then they can come to the owners.

All the import cost is about 500.000 ISK or about 8.463,10 dollars. The isolation is the most expensive part, about 250.000 ISK or 4.231,55 dollars.

The flight is also expensive.

But, if you look on the bright sight, because it is so expensive people usually don't rush into importing and the usually try to choose a good breeder.

Also, I was wondering, it is not allowed by the laws to import any mix between a wolf and a dog so I'm a little bit afraid I will not get a permission to import a CzW. But, the breed is accepted by the FCI so it must be a dog breed.

Do you understand what I'm trying to say?
(Not very good in English by the way )
Old 05-11-2007, 12:31   #5
*Satu

Send a message via MSN to *Satu

Ok. You knows karantinetime is very long time and dog needs rabies bloodtest results and lot of papers.
Old 05-11-2007, 13:48   #6
IceDog

Yes I know, but does anyone know the meaning of a wolf/dog mix?
I have read so much about these graceful dogs and I want to learn so much more. I am looking forward to the time when I will have one CzW by my side.

But I don't want to rush into anything, I want the first CzW in Iceland to be healthy, with great working skills and great temperament and to be breathtaking to all the Icelanders I want a great start for the breed in Iceland so things hopefully don't go wrong in the future

And if you have time, maybe some of you could post a picture of your dogs and say a little bit about their character. It would mean a lot to me
Old 05-11-2007, 14:06   #7
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

I had the same question about legality in the US - even with CSWs listed on the AKC/FSS registry (AKC is the primary dog registry for US). I believe our humane societies (I read this somewhere or another in my research) will not adopt out any dog between F1 and F5 (not CSW, but dogs mixed with timberwolf,etc.), but after that it is ok. Most modern CSW puppies are F5 or after, from what I can see. But I'm not certain how that would work in a court. I agree that any imported dog should be a great "ambassador" for the breed in it's new country.

Marcy
GalomyOak jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 14:31   #8
IceDog

Thank you so much for these information.
The government in Iceland is so narrow minded about the working dog breeds, like rottweiler, doberman, mastiffs and that sort of breeds. To them they are all vicious killing machines that eat babies for dinner.