Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Upbringing & character

Upbringing & character How to care for a puppy, how to socialize it, the most common problems with CzW, how to solve them....

Old 04-11-2003, 01:49   #1
tatiri

Send a message via AIM to tatiri
Default Submissive "Urination"

Hello, I am hoping that through the experience this board brings, perhaps someone could help me. I have a 9 month old female wolfdog. She is absolutely brilliant and just amazing...however- whenever a man comes near her she quickly squats and leaves a small amount of urine. She has been brought up in the house in a very gentle and loving environment, which confuses us on why she would submit like this....any ideas? Any ideas on helping get past this?
tatiri jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 11:26   #2
michaelundinaeichhorn

Hello,

this behaviour is absolutely normal and she will loose it when she gets older.
It helps wenn you don´t greet her in the beginning but when everything calmed down. The more exited the situation gets the sooner it will happen. Teach her to sit down and don´t pay her any attention until she is quiet.

Regards Ina
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 06:40   #3
tatiri

Ina,
Thank you for the reply. I will add some to my original post. My girl, Sierra can be sound asleep and as soon as she hears my husband near her so wags her tail so hard it thumps the floor, jumps up and begins the full body wag...he may sit down, turn sideways, walk away...she still drops a spot...no matter what he does. If she walks to see him, she will still squat in the middle of her tail thumping full body wag...we never yell at her for it or make her feel bad because we know it is part of her trying to please, but...time for new carpet.
Old 06-11-2003, 16:27   #4
michaelundinaeichhorn

Hello,
she is in the age when she would live under a lot of pressure as a pack member. She therefor is extremly submissive against the - in her eyes - most important pack leaders. I don´t know how you live but if your husband is off working the whole day and you are at home, it seems extremly important to her to be very submissive to the homecoming alpha. The other reason may be that most dogs find males more dangerous and react more defensive because their voices are deeper - that means in the acustic range of offensive aggression. The most critical moment when it comes to getting in trouble is when the pack leaders return to the pack or the lower ranking dogs return to home with the leaders staying there. When the leaders come back they normally don´t react at all on this submissive behaviour, they just walk straight through all these "slimers" and greet the other high ranks. If you follow this behaviour and don´t greet her as long as she isn´t quiet she will calm down after a while. The urinating stops as soon as she feels more grown up because its normally only shown this way by puppies or youngsters and it means exactly this: I am still a small puppy. Our one year old female now only shows it after she was away for a longer time and has to explain this to her growling mother or if she knows we are really angry with her (because she was chasing the sheeps again). That doesn´t mean that she really thinks she will experience physical harm, she just feels it will minimice the possibility. So to make a long story short, I wouldn´t change the carpet before she has mentally grown up.

Regards Ina
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 06:50   #5
tatiri

Thank you very much for your reply. Of each book I have read, the topic was discussed and talk around, never really as clear as the way you put it. As far as my husband is concerned, you are pretty close. We both work, but she spends much more time with me. It makes a good deal of sense, and we will of course be happy when she out grows it...however, if she doesnt, we have already adpated our lives to it and have all initial meetings on tile floors :P She has a "sister and 2 brothers" (2 large alaskan malamutes and a siberian husky). She has already bumped the husky down the food chain (per say) and they can never be left alone together because he will try to regain his previous family position - in his mind- The 2 malamutes are amazing role models for her and I attribute a great deal of her manners and behavior to her learning from them. As I said before she is amazingly intelligent. She never ceases to amaze us with her quick learning or with her athletic ability. I wish everyone could see the breed in this light.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:12   #6
Iz__

Default Re: "Urination"

I am having EXACTLY the same problem with Lobo, my Saarloos Wolfdog, who is also about 9 months old.
He pees whenever myself or my brother come home to him.

But is another problem is that Lobo doesn't pee too much outside when we do our walks. He usually waits until we get back to the house, then he sees my brother, then pees. It's really frustrating.
Iz__ jest offline   Reply With Quote