Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Wolves and wolfdogs

Wolves and wolfdogs All about animals similar to CzW... Information about other Wolfdogs: Saarloos Wolfhound, Lupo Italiano...

Old 04-04-2008, 20:27   #1
wolfdogs16

Default Wolfdogs vs. Wolf dogs

Stumbled across your forum and thought I'd join and meet some fellow wolfdog lovers.

Run a National Rescue for wolfdogs here in the U.S., recognized by the Defenders of Wildlife. Our motto: "education is the key".

Regards to all. (thats my girl in the avatar - and F3. Father is British Columbian and malamute, mother is Timber and GSD.
http://www.wrr-inc.org

Last edited by Nebulosa; 05-04-2008 at 00:16. Reason: change color
wolfdogs16 jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 20:30   #2
wolfdogs16

opps! sorry folks. i changed the font color to black so i could read it while i typed and boy did that not work out... hahahaaa if you highlight the script you can read it. Wont happen again.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:14   #3
Rona
Distinguished Member

Welome to the site!

However don't be misled by its name. This site is devoted not to wolfdogs as such, but to dogs of a well established breed. The breed is called "czechoslovakian wolfdog", but it has little to do with wolf/dog hybrids. If I'm not mistaked, only 4 wolves were involed in its "creation", not to mention that it took place half a century ago

You haven't probably had enough time to read through the past threads and thus don't know, that in fact many European CSVs owners and breeders are struggling for the official acceptance of the breed in their countries on the basis that its wild ancestors occured several generations behind. In fact they try to stress the distinction between wolf hybrids and dogs, called "CSV wolfdogs" and put a lot of effort to convince the authorities that dogs of this breed are trainable and highly predictable in its behaviour and the breed standard is very precise.

Your experience of working with wolfdogs (wolf hybrids?) would probably be of great interest for many CSV owners, and you'e welcome here, but please, make sure you do not identify wolfdogs with the CSV dogs and do not mix these two notions. Otherwise you might, involuntarily spoil the work of many people who spent years on trying to convince the authorities in their countries, (e.g. I'm sure that DEFRA people read this site ) that they own DOGS, which in case of CSVs is true.
Regards
Rona
Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:30   #4
michaelundinaeichhorn

Welcome from me as well,

Rona took the words right out of my mouth and I fully agree with her.
One note:
If you know wolves or high content hybrids (let me use this popular term),
our dogs have little to do in their behavior with this animals.
They are more or less dogs. Special dogs of course...

Michael
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 19:26   #5
johnslawek

Default Wolfdogs vs. Wolf dogs

Rona has correctly stated the problem-Semantics. In the States a wolfdog is generally thought to be a hybrid, particularily in Virginia, as many hybrids exist there. The connotation of woldog is a direct link to The Little Red Riding Hood syndrome which is totally unrelated to the CSV. As such Vlcak is thought to be a better preferred identity to avoid potential fears.
John Slawek
johnslawek jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:41   #6
wolfdogs16

folks.. I know about your animals. I just want to find out more and help those bringing them back to the U.S. For, ....now the term "wolfhybrid" is no longer used...its "wolfdog'... and your animals are branded "wolfdog". this has caused your owners trouble in the U.S. There is a way to make this all coincide.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:45   #7
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdogs16 View Post
folks.. I know about your animals. I just want to find out more and help those bringing them back to the U.S. For,
Are you sure you want to bring them back to the USA? They'd have to have been there first....

As far a I know, only a few Ceskoslovensky Vlcak dogs live in the USA, all of them imported from Europe, relatively recently.

PS. You see, not everything good, and CSV dogs are definitely great animals, comes from the USA.
Old 06-04-2008, 14:34   #8
johnslawek

Default European Imports

Rona is again correct that not all good things necessarily originate in the USA. For generations my family emigrated to the USA from Hungary as Frida Crying Wolf has. In my opinion that is an excellent foundation. So, as European founding stock in North America, Rona is correct that 'not all good things come from the USA' for we mostly are of European descent. In fact as many North Americans originally came from Europe, most are of good stock. Another example is my wife's family who emigrated to the USA from Krakow. I guess she also descended from good stock? Thus it falls naturally that it is a small world full of good wherein most in the USA find their roots in Europe. The CSV in the States are a testament to that fact.
John Slawek
Old 06-04-2008, 17:23   #9
Hanka

Send a message via ICQ to Hanka Send a message via Skype™ to Hanka

And John Slawek is typicle american name
Hanka jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 17:57   #10
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnslawek View Post
Rona is again correct that not all good things necessarily originate in the USA.
This was a joke... But apparently, you and you wife descent from similar background ; for over 50 years Krakow (the capital of Galicia region) and Hungary (and some other regions) were within the borders of the same state: the Austro-Hungarian Empire...

Quote:
Another example is my wife's family who emigrated to the USA from Krakow. I guess she also descended from good stock?
I agree with you (surprise? ): Krakow is a very beautiful, ancient city.
See some photos from June 2007 'CSVs Parade' - on the Midsummer Night (or rather evening) we walked from the Main Market Square to the Royal Wawel Castle. Incredible, how well Ceskoslovensky Vlcaks behaved in historical settings among crowds of tourists.

Later, at the 'Galician Meeting' in Magda & Andrzej's garden ("Galicyjski Wilk"), the dogs very quickly organised themselves in a pack and had much fun, just like their owners .

Old 06-04-2008, 20:58   #11
johnslawek

Default Krakow Photos

Hi Rona,
Thank you for the photos of your lovely city. I did understand your comments to be humorous. It was hoped that you had a similar reaction to mine. I only complement you. My wife and I will be close to you in September, maybe we meet.
Regards, John Slawek
Old 06-04-2008, 22:27   #12
wolfdogs16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rona View Post
Are you sure you want to bring them back to the USA? They'd have to have been there first....

As far a I know, only a few Ceskoslovensky Vlcak dogs live in the USA, all of them imported from Europe, relatively recently.

PS. You see, not everything good, and CSV dogs are definitely great animals, comes from the USA.
never thought everything good came from the U.S.A. Ive lived all over the world growing up. My father was an Air Force officer for 30 years.

our wolfdogs can be very great too, its all in how you socialize them and raise them. I have a great power point on one particular animal and will be happy to send it to anyone that wants to email me.
Old 06-04-2008, 23:09   #13
wolfdogs16

Quote:
Rona is again correct that not all good things necessarily originate in the USA. For generations my family emigrated to the USA from Hungary as Frida Crying Wolf has. In my opinion that is an excellent foundation. So, as European founding stock in North America, Rona is correct that 'not all good things come from the USA' for we mostly are of European descent. In fact as many North Americans originally came from Europe, most are of good stock. Another example is my wife's family who emigrated to the USA from Krakow. I guess she also descended from good stock? Thus it falls naturally that it is a small world full of good wherein most in the USA find their roots in Europe. The CSV in the States are a testament to that fact.
John Slawek
my heritage is from Australia... but somehow... on my fathers side, is Native American Indian. my great great grandfather was Quanah Parker, a Comanchee cheif who was the son of a white woman, Cintha Ann Parker who had been taken captive and made the wife of the Chief at the time...Quanah's father...

its a wonder I don't have a dingo!!! hahahahahaaaaaa
Old 06-04-2008, 23:14   #14
wolfdogs16

Quote:
Welome to the site!

However don't be misled by its name. This site is devoted not to wolfdogs as such, but to dogs of a well established breed. The breed is called "czechoslovakian wolfdog", but it has little to do with wolf/dog hybrids. If I'm not mistaked, only 4 wolves were involed in its "creation", not to mention that it took place half a century ago

You haven't probably had enough time to read through the past threads and thus don't know, that in fact many European CSVs owners and breeders are struggling for the official acceptance of the breed in their countries on the basis that its wild ancestors occured several generations behind. In fact they try to stress the distinction between wolf hybrids and dogs, called "CSV wolfdogs" and put a lot of effort to convince the authorities that dogs of this breed are trainable and highly predictable in its behaviour and the breed standard is very precise.

Your experience of working with wolfdogs (wolf hybrids?) would probably be of great interest for many CSV owners, and you'e welcome here, but please, make sure you do not identify wolfdogs with the CSV dogs and do not mix these two notions. Otherwise you might, involuntarily spoil the work of many people who spent years on trying to convince the authorities in their countries, (e.g. I'm sure that DEFRA people read this site ) that they own DOGS, which in case of CSVs is true.
Regards
Rona
im not about to mix them, I just joined to share fellowship with other folks owning unique canines... I have spoken of the CSV here in several presentations i made at various animal functions and have never indicated wolf in the dog... i have defended the term "wolfdog" as it relates to CSV's to several officials at USDA who were missguided.
Old 06-04-2008, 23:31   #15
wolfdogs16

Quote:
im not about to mix them, I just joined to share fellowship with other folks owning unique canines... I have spoken of the CSV here in several presentations i made at various animal functions and have never indicated wolf in the dog... i have defended the term "wolfdog" as it relates to CSV's to several officials at USDA who were missguided.
One more thing I did not mention, and Im sure that most CSV owners are aware of this, especially those few in the U.S................... the majority of the Animal Control Officers in this country dont know the difference between a malamute, a husky, or a dog mix from a wolf...that even slightly resembles a wolf... in the majority of the cases, that animal is labeled "wolfdog or wolf hybrid" and the owner goes through madness proving its not. There are so many loop holes in the animal laws here its not funny... and its all boiled down to this over the years:... in most states, if you say to a Vet, a vet tech, an officer of the law, an officer of animal control, a Federal employee of an agency repsonsible for animal welfare...."this is a wolfdog" or "this is a wolf hybrid"... you cant take that statement back. you have labeled your animal a wolf dog cross..... that being the case, if you are in an illegal state or a county that has banned wolf dog crosses..then you have a problem... and if your animal bites some one, in most states, it means its immediately put down and the brain examined for rabies, because, out of political nonsense, the rabies vaccination is still not "recognized" as working on wolf dog crosses. It does work... but they wont recognize that... political and liability are the two reasons.... There are some pretty shaddy people involved in animal control here in the U.S., especially in small towns and counties where education is lacked... it behooves all owners of any dog that looks wolf like to be aware of that. This has resulted in some pretty sad stories. I speak from experience, not off the keyboard of speculation.
Old 06-04-2008, 23:54   #16
Navarre
VIP Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Navarre

Hello wolfdog16, your wolfdog is really beautiful !
Old 07-04-2008, 05:00   #17
wolfdogs16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navarre View Post
Hello wolfdog16, your wolfdog is really beautiful !
Thank you very much. Your's are the same (CSV's). Refreshing post after a lot of the ones I have been getting..LOL
Old 07-04-2008, 12:59   #18
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
never thought everything good came from the U.S.A.
This was a joke!!!

Quote:
our wolfdogs can be very great too, its all in how you socialize them and raise them.
I'm sure they are. They look really fantastic on the photos.

BTW Have you heard of Helen Grimaud, the French pianist? She's a co-founder of the Wolf Conservation Centre in South Salem, N.Y. I read her authobiography a few months ago and was really impressed - she must be a very interesting person ...
Old 07-04-2008, 13:39   #19
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
I did understand your comments to be humorous. It was hoped that you had a similar reaction to mine.
Sure I did, but wanted to make it clear Humour is quite a tricky issue on multinational/multicultural forums, isn't it?

Quote:
My wife and I will be close to you in September, maybe we meet.
What a great idea! Let me know the details by mail: [email protected]
Will you be travelling with Frida?
Old 07-04-2008, 23:33   #20
wolfdogs16

Quote:
This was a joke!!!

I'm sure they are. They look really fantastic on the photos.

BTW Have you heard of Helen Grimaud, the French pianist? She's a co-founder of the Wolf Conservation Centre in South Salem, N.Y. I read her authobiography a few months ago and was really impressed - she must be a very interesting person ...
gotcha on the joke... being a newbie.. you never know from keyboards...

yes, I have heard of her, but never met her. She has done some good stuff for wolves.