Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Breed standard & bonitations

Breed standard & bonitations How typical CzW should look like, measurements and commentaries to the breed standard, information about bonitations and youth presentations....

Old 14-12-2005, 13:48   #1
Czunksolov

Default Czechoslovakian SHEPHERDS??!!?

I just read "real working breed" ! Oh my God! Did someone just let slip the best bit of info I've heard about CSV? They arent called Czechoslovakian Wolfdog they're called Czechoslovakian Shepherd!!! That means that there is a chance to register new UK-resident CSVs with a proper, not scary name. If I had gone to my local council (who have the final say)asking for their opinion on whether a Wolfdog was counted as a DWA they'd say yes because of the name. If the name can be CORRECTED then all the UK people who want to keep CSV can do so without emigrating!! They just might have to move to a different borough Oh yeah, and they can only travel around in "unrestricted" boroughs!
Czunksolov jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2005, 16:33   #2
Mirkawolf

Send a message via ICQ to Mirkawolf Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkawolf

Where did you read it? They simply made mistake, because Czechoslovakian wolfdogs are no shepherds and I hope they never will be.
I hear many times people calling the breed the Czech, or the Czech wolfdog. Somehow, many people "forget" the Slovaks, which is crazy especially because they are the guarantee of the breed.
In Italy, there is one particular photographer, that loves to call Czechoslovakian wolfdogs simply a "wolf", because "they look like it, anyways" and because of course, it sells his calendar (in which CSWs are presented as real wolves)!

The correct name of the breed is Czechoslovakian wolfdog and as such it is registered at FCI. I strongly doubt, that because of dumbness of UK´s Defra the FCI would change the name of our breed.
The problem is not the breeds name, the problem is Defra and their crazy ideas.
Old 14-12-2005, 17:43   #3
Czunksolov

I read it in "real working breed" on forum. I wouldn't trust a CSV with my sheep (if I had any) either! Nor would I trust most GSDs with sheep. Are you sure it's wrong? Vlcak doesn't translate as shepherd or sheep-dog? Can a Czech person please confirm this? Also, I agree about not leaving out the Slovaks, that's why I prefer to write CSV not CWD or any of the other, seemingly random combinations! Oh yeah.. and if it is wrong can someone teach me to pronounce Vlcak please? I hate saying wolf. I know in UK it will attract the wrong people to CSV ownership.
Why is FCI registered name of the breed in ENGLISH? FCI's name is in french? Wierd!!!
Old 14-12-2005, 20:53   #4
Dharkwolf

Send a message via ICQ to Dharkwolf Send a message via MSN to Dharkwolf Send a message via Skype™ to Dharkwolf

I know where this confusion comes from:

CeskoSlovensky Vlcak (CSV). As you can see the combination of letters is not random.

Now the confusion comes from the fact that in the Czech Republic German Shepherds are commonly known as Vlcak – wolfdog.

This is because the original name of the German Shepherd is NOT German Shepherd, but Alsatian Wolfdog so in the Czech Republic a reference to the original name – wolfdog – remained. (yes – they are also originally a dog-wolf mix, between Alsatian shepherds and European wolves)

Anyhow – since most people (in the West) no longer refer to German Shepherds as wolfdogs, some have started to think that vlcak, which is used for “German Shepherd” in Czech means “Shepherd” or “Shepherd-dog”.

Blatantly incorrect… but there you have it. I’m still waiting for the day when someone will point out to DEFRA that by their rules they are effectively banning all German Shepherds from the UK, I’m sure that would have interesting consequences.

As for the FCI names – I believe that the French, English, German and Spanish names of breeds are all official according to the FCI. This is not uncommon amongst international organizations – for instance in the EU a law is a law … official in all its 25 languages even though the translations sometimes say subtly different things!
Dharkwolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2005, 23:04   #5
michaelundinaeichhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharkwolf

This is because the original name of the German Shepherd is NOT German Shepherd, but Alsatian Wolfdog so in the Czech Republic a reference to the original name – wolfdog – remained. (yes – they are also originally a dog-wolf mix, between Alsatian shepherds and European wolves)
No, the original name is German Shepherd, it was named Alsatian during worldwar period because many people didn´t want to own a German dog.
Grate Danes had the same problem, they are Deutsche Doggen.

Ina
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2005, 00:49   #6
Mirkawolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czunksolov
Are you sure it's wrong? Vlcak doesn't translate as shepherd or sheep-dog? Can a Czech person please confirm this?
Heh. Well I am Czech! And I can confirm you, that "vlcak" does not mean "shepherd". "Shepherd" would be "ovcak", from the word "ovce" which means "sheep". Examples are "Nemecky ovcak - German shepherd" or "Belgicky ovcak - Belgian shepherd".
"Vlcak" comes from the word "vlk" which means "wolf". The best translation for "vlcak" then is "wolf-like" or "wolfdog".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czunksolov
and if it is wrong can someone teach me to pronounce Vlcak please? I hate saying wolf. I know in UK it will attract the wrong people to CSV ownership.
I am not sure, if I can describe it well, how to pronounce it. I think it should be like this "vltchaak"

Mirka
Old 16-12-2005, 11:58   #7
slarman

Thanks for clearing the vlcak situation up.In Australia you often here the German shepherd referred to as an Alsation.Strangely enough,the uneducated will see an "Alsation" and call it vicious,but then see a German Shepherd and want to pat it!! It's very funny to see.The only difference is an 'Alsation'is a lighter colour than a German Shepherd.
On a more serious note,unlike England,Australia is not concerned by the name-Czechoslovakian Wolfdog,if that is the FCI's official,English language name.The authorities here are only concerned about wolfblood content.Any CSW imported has to be no closer than 5 generations from a pure wolf.
slarman jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2005, 13:03   #8
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Slarman: I doubt that you could find today any CsW which has a wolf closer than 6-7 generation. My own bitch had a wolf in the fifth generation, and since then there are at least three generations.
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2005, 19:31   #9
Rona
Distinguished Member

British Kennel Club and DEFRA seem not be able to grasp, that Czechoslovakian Wolfdog has as much in common with the wolf as German Sheperd with Germany!
Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2005, 10:51   #10
slarman

Thanks Saschia and Rona,maybe DEFRA should get off their collective backsides and research the breed and not rely on ancient prejudices-Wolf'scary,scary' so that responsible,caring,understanding owners can,not only own,but educate,the British people and,by the sounds of it,the government bureaucracy about the breed.
By the way does anyone know if anybody from Australia is in the process of importing?
Old 20-12-2005, 11:48   #11
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slarman
responsible,caring,understanding owners can,not only own,but educate,the British people and,by the sounds of it,the government bureaucracy about the breed.
One of the Polish breeders has just been involved in making a documentary about her CzWs for one of the British TV companies. Lets hope the film and similar inititives will eventually open the eyes and minds of the British people. I wouldn't count much on DEFRA members , but just on common TV viewers who love dogs, especially as beautiful and special as CzWs
Old 04-01-2006, 13:29   #12
Czunksolov

Thanks for all your responses. I've not been able to read them all until now as i have been working hundreds of miles away from civilization (Wales! ) I knew it was too good to be true and vlcak had to mean wolfdog. Thanks especially to Mirka for your info on breed names, it seems that the name vlcak does not suggest they are any more related to a wolf than a ovcak is to a sheep! Thanks for having a go at a phonetic spelling. I think I've got it, or something close to it. Slarman's news about the five generations rule is very interesting indeed. Maybe it is something that UK government can follow. They are more likely to allow us the great privilege toown the dog we were meant for, if they can still enjoy putting lots of restrictions on them! And the more pointless, useless, but irrelevant and harmless rules we can offer the better. Dharkwolf, you mentioned thet FCI names are in several languages; in UK we often refer to a breed by its nationality then what I assume is its native name e.g. Hungarian Puli or Norweigian Buhund. It is extremely unusual to translate the second part into english. I was wondering if in official FCI names other breeds like the Hungarian Puli have been fully translated as well or wether they just went with the common UK name. I do worry about this Documentary. I think I'd love to see a bunch of film footage of CSVs but I know what UK TV is like. I know that to be sure to sell a film about CSVs you have to portray them as the Devil (and end any chance of legalisation) or as little Angels who can do no harm at all (and then, after legalisation, the rescues will fill up with untrained adolescent CSVs that people bought because they liked the romantic notion of living with a tame wolf.-What happened in US after 'Dances With Wolves'? People bought wolf crosses because thats what is available there! Do you know which TV company or which breeder is involved in this as I'd like to find out more about this before it is shown on telly. Bye, Rob.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:57   #13
slarman

Rob,
It will be interesting to see if one of Australia's gov't TV stations pick up the CSW film and I know that there will be a rush of Aussies wanting to import them here.According to the breeders I've been speaking to for the last 2 years ,many Aussies have enquired.After almost 3 years of studying everything about this breed thru this website,and reading up on wolves and wolf-hybrids in the USA,I hope that breeders in Europe don't sell these dogs to Aussies offering big money as I know the breed will be banned because pups will be sold for money not with any regard for the breeds future.
I am keen to import and am currently setting up a breeding/training plan that I hope will put the dogs in the right hands though I know no plan is full proof.I hope friends over there will help alert other breeders/owners,who can't speak or read English to be careful when dealing with Aussies who just want own a CSW because they're cute or they want to own a wolf-hybrid which this breed is not,as we all know.I made that mistake too,and after such a long time studying the breed still am only at the stage oflearning.
Regards,Simon
Old 05-01-2006, 11:33   #14
Mirkawolf

Quote:
I hope friends over there will help alert other breeders/owners,who can't speak or read English to be careful when dealing with Aussies who just want own a CSW because they're cute or they want to own a wolf-hybrid which this breed is not,as we all know.
Regards,Simon
I wish you good luck with this, but I am affraid, it will not work. Unfortunatelly, there was, is and always will be enough of breeders, who really do not care, to where they sell their pups. And that both in the countries of origin, as well as in Western Europe, however, I think in the West it is in bigger scale. I´ve never seen so many CSWs to be "produced" for money, as since I moved to Brussels and started to look around and listen. As long as people will produce (since I do not call this breeding) CSWs for money, there will always be buyers. And opposite, of course.

Seems that to CSW, same thing is happening, like happened to labradors, golden retrievers, dalmatians .. they are getting popular, the number of people interested in them grows and thus, the number of producers of pups too. But the quality of the dogs, their character and look is going far from the original.

In France, there is already several kennels, who happily produce CSW pups without pedigree and they are proud of it. Do you think, these "breeders" do care, where their pups go?

For the last two years, I´ve met myself several people, who breed CSWs without caring to x-ray the parents, without paying any attention to choose the best crossing, without thinking about the future of the breed whatsoever. You can find dogs with dysplasia E/E, that are used in breeding. You can find dogs bonitated with result P14 (thus unbreedable) but happily used for producing puppies. You can find dogs resembling jackals, more than dogs or wolfdogs, but so what, it´s different type and we like it, says the breeder, and happily breeds!

Do you think, all these people care about the breed? I doubt it. As long as there will be people like this, pups will be produced and sold to anyone, who is willing to pay. Sad, but true.
Old 06-01-2006, 13:20   #15
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirkawolf1
For the last two years, I´ve met myself several people, who breed CSWs without caring to x-ray the parents, without paying any attention to choose the best crossing, without thinking about the future of the breed whatsoever. You can find dogs with dysplasia E/E, that are used in breeding. You can find dogs bonitated with result P14 (thus unbreedable) but happily used for producing puppies. You can find dogs resembling jackals, more than dogs or wolfdogs, but so what, it´s different type and we like it, says the breeder, and happily breeds!

Do you think, all these people care about the breed? I doubt it. As long as there will be people like this, pups will be produced and sold to anyone, who is willing to pay. Sad, but true.
Very, very sad I agree, one cannot X-ray people's brains to learn what they really intend when they buy a pup.

Another problem is ignorance. I personally know quite a few people, who are respectable and kind, who just cannot understand why anybody should buy pedigree dogs, with documents, known parents etc. They consider this to be snobish, racist and pretencious behaviour and condemn it, just like dog shows and herd books.

But to tell you the truth this IS a hard issue to explain, because on the one hand adopting/ buying a homeless pup or dog is a noble deed, but on the other - people should be encouraged to buy pedigree dogs from "safe" breeders.
For someone who doesn't know much about dogs, breeders (e.g. how to recognise a good, responsible breeder) all this is rather vague and hard to grasp. If the breeder is smart, he/she may easily bring the new or potantial owner round to all sort of strange ideas about dogs.
Old 07-01-2006, 00:06   #16
Nebulosa

Send a message via ICQ to Nebulosa Send a message via MSN to Nebulosa Send a message via Skype™ to Nebulosa

Not only with the Aussies, but with GSD at the time of Ritintin, with Golden Retriver, with Dobermanns due that film ("the Dobermanns gang "what simply he destroyed the breed in fame and quality), I find that the television is a curse for any dog breed.
The worse is that when occurs an attack where a dog of these without temperament attacks and kills a person, the breed is the guilty, it is the breed that is aggressive the breed has that to be extinguish.

The pedigree unhappyly is not quality assurance in one breed, pedigree is easy of being gotten, the majority of the kennels does not make control of the registered litters, not only in Brazil, but in other places of the world, it has many no-breed (or totaly no-standard) with register of a pure dog breed.

In the case of the CzW and any another breed that is not "popular" (similar at Borzois, ovtcharkas, Lundehund...) finishes have problems in the shows(expositions) judgment due to the unfamiliarity on the part of the judges in relation to the standard of the breed.

But without doubts, the biggest problem for any breed is the stupid owners, this is similar at one snow ball whit the "fame"!
Nebulosa jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2006, 13:23   #17
Czunksolov

sometimes I don't even want CSVs legalized in UK. Especially when I meet GSDs and other POTENTIALLY dangerous breeds ( I met a very scared Chihuahua cross recently that tried to bite me) that have been mis-educated by owners who know nothing of dog psychology and don't care anyway. People brought this Chihuahua cross to the animal rescue where I work and thought it funny that their "friend" (probably their dad ) had been sent to prison for hitting a person in the face with a broken beer glass. They said that their tiny lapdog was a hunting dog. Bullshit. The poor thing was aggressive only when a hand was put close to her and it was just so obvious that this dog had been beaten for years. Now it will be virtually impossible to rehome her and she may stay at the rescue long enough for the original owner/abuser to finish his prison sentence and send his friends round to adopt her. I hate people sometimes. I know that the dogs are incapable of hate so it just takes time to win their trust, and increase their confidence but every time they see a stranger it's back to the start.
Old 21-01-2006, 02:43   #18
slarman

I'm worried about the CSW coming 'Down Under',Rob for the same reason you worried in the UK.Unfortunately,with all the hysteria around re:Pit Bulls and Bull breeds in general why would anyone want to stir the pot by introducing a new unknown,untested breed like the CSW?!
Hence the reason I sound like a worry wart.Of course Australia has it's own native dog-the Dingo,for which you need a licence to own.I am pleased to say I know the owner of an extremely well trained Dingo who has spoken to me at length about the trials and tribulations of training a wild dog,and I know if I had time to tell all she told me 100% of CSW owners will empathise and sympathise with her!!
I guess the only way to resolve the situation is to admire this breed from afar at the moment.
Simon
Old 21-01-2006, 18:23   #19
Mirkawolf

Quote:
I am pleased to say I know the owner of an extremely well trained Dingo who has spoken to me at length about the trials and tribulations of training a wild dog,and I know if I had time to tell all she told me 100% of CSW owners will empathise and sympathise with her!!
I guess the only way to resolve the situation is to admire this breed from afar at the moment. Simon
You know, there is really a difference between wild dingo and a working dog breed, even if that breed is called Czechoslovakian wolfdog Yes, training CSW might be more difficult, but certainly it is still just a dog. The trainability, character and behaviour of CSW depends from a big part on the skills of it´s breeder and owner. You can pass IPO with CSW. Can you with dingo?
Old 22-01-2006, 03:06   #20
slarman

No you can't pass any titles with a Dingo because you can't trial them.They are not considered a dog breed but a native dog.
But you missed my point,being,that ,from what I've learnt from my friend and this website,is that both the Dingo and CSW,are harder to train than most other breeds,that both breeds respond to positive training techniques better than other methods,both are highly intelligent-street smart,if you like,rather than mechanical in response to problem-solving and both are highly pack oriented but also very self reliant.
You can teach a Dingo almost anything,as you can a wolfdog,but their real value is their friendship and loyalty.