Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Sport & training

Sport & training Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs as working dogs - how to train, how to teach new elements, information about competitions and training seminars...

Old 14-09-2008, 20:47   #1
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak
Default Herding with CSV?

Hello,

Yesterday at a dog show (one of my CSVs took Best in Group!), I met a lady that is involved in herding trials with her dogs. She gave me the phone number of another lady who does testing on dogs for herding aptitude.

I am very curious - has anyone tried herding with CSVs? If so, what is it like to train with them for this work?

Thanks!
Marcy
GalomyOak jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 11:03   #2
Pavel

Send a message via Skype™ to Pavel

Marcy,
every activity with CsW is great, but our dogs was and are breeding for other using. Better, then looking for a bizarre sports, is standard training IPO, SchH or similary. CsW is not breeding and selecting for herding. For herding are absolutelly other breeds like collie not shepherd dogs or CsW.
Try reach with your dog IPO1 exam, and it will be funn for your dog more, then some herding or other, when you must pushing down natural character of CsW.
Pavel jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 14:20   #3
Liesbeth

Hi Marcy,

You can always give it a try and let us know how things worked out!
After all, the German shepard was a herding dog to long time ago, and the CsW is the group of the herding dogs (because the history of the GS).
I keep my mind open for everything, even herding with CsW
The number one capacity of a herding dog is not to finish the hunting... they just fixate, follow and 'herd' the cattle. It's like hunting, without the final step: the kill. Because the CsW wasn't further selected on this capacity to herd a cattle, they'll probably want to finish the game of hunting, by killing/attacking the catlle. I say 'probably' and 'most' CsW...
I think that if you train them if they are young to herd the cattle, they are able to do this. I don't know how your dogs react to other animals, but why not trying together with the lady you met?
It's not because a breed isn't especially 'designed' for something, that you can't try it with them... So I can't fully agree with Pavel on this...
Although it's true that the CsW will be a better dog for IPO then herding, of course

Liesbeth
Old 15-09-2008, 16:55   #4
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Hi, I have heard about some CSV which actually passed herding tests. You might find more on that at the italian forum, if you speak the language (I don't).

I don't agree with Pavel that you should only do IPO, for IPO there are also more suitable breeds, than wolfdog. With wolfdog, the road is the goal, as was said in China or where it was... You should do what you enjoy, and the dog will probably enjoy it with you.
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 17:04   #5
Pavel

Send a message via Skype™ to Pavel

Saschia, you can doing with CsW dog dancing od frisbee as well. But simply say, why looking for such alternative sports, when we have very good working dogs. Alternative sports were developt, because many dog breeds simply lost their original sense. CsW is 100% tracing dog, most population is very good for obedience and minimally 50% is good useful for defence. So that why trying alternative, when we can use CsW so, how were breeding and selecting.
Pavel jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 17:40   #6
Juniorwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
Saschia, you can doing with CsW dog dancing od frisbee as well. But simply say, why looking for such alternative sports, when we have very good working dogs. Alternative sports were developt, because many dog breeds simply lost their original sense. CsW is 100% tracing dog, most population is very good for obedience and minimally 50% is good useful for defence. So that why trying alternative, when we can use CsW so, how were breeding and selecting.
Well I must agree with Saschia.
The breedstandart says "Versatile in his uses", to me that means more than just IPO and CSW is catogorized as "working dog" to me herding is also work.

Rolf
Juniorwolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 17:53   #7
elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildenmorgen View Post
Hello,

Yesterday at a dog show (one of my CSVs took Best in Group!), I met a lady that is involved in herding trials with her dogs. She gave me the phone number of another lady who does testing on dogs for herding aptitude.

I am very curious - has anyone tried herding with CSVs? If so, what is it like to train with them for this work?

Thanks!
Marcy
Thorgal (http://www.wolfdog.org/fra/dbase/d6139.html) is graduated in France.

elf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 18:35   #8
Liesbeth

Very nice!!
Congratulations!

The sky is the limit...

Liesbeth
Old 15-09-2008, 18:42   #9
Juniorwolf

Thanks a lot Elf for the beautyful photos and congratulations to Thorgal

Rolf
Juniorwolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 18:53   #10
elf

This is not my dog, mine would try to eat the sheep . Here is the site of this amazing guy: http://chien-au-troupeau.chez-alice.fr/cadres.htm
elf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 03:45   #11
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

Thank you for the different views and superb photos! I am always amazed by the different tasks CSVs can perform - everyday it seems my own learn something new with hardly any effort - their versatility is brilliant. Pavel, we will certainly keep training at the intended work of the CSV; it is very fun and rewarding.

I was reading through the sheep-herding titles for our state herding club, and saw some very interesting breeds - even a Rottweiler! I think at least one of my CSVs might get a "taste" for mutton if we tried herding - so for now I think I will leave it to the local collies and australian shepherds. But, maybe some day...
GalomyOak jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 10:37   #12
Hanka

Send a message via ICQ to Hanka Send a message via Skype™ to Hanka

Wow, now I know what is herding. Thanks.
Hanka jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 12:57   #13
Per Olav

Send a message via MSN to Per Olav
Default Impressive

Impressive photos.
--
Per Olav
Per Olav jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2008, 21:27   #14
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
So that why trying alternative, when we can use CsW so, how were breeding and selecting.
Pavel, wolfdog is a working breed. It was made for protecting the borders. As we are not doing that with wolfdogs right now, we are not using it for its original purpose. But the wolfdog is very universal and I think it is most important that the people actually work with it, and the best way to keep working is to actually enjoy it. So if you love wolfdogs for their intelligence and temperament, why shouldn't you get one and do herding or dog dancing or whatever you like to do? It is still work, in the sense as IPO is work, that the dog is learning your commands and cooperates with you.

Of course wolfdogs are great for tracking, and I recommend to everybody to play tracking games with them - it is such fun. But it is not the only thing they are goot at and which is fun.
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 08:39   #15
rocco
REJPAL

It' s wonderfull ! Herding is starting to be very popular in Czech and about 3 years ago I wan't try the basic herding exam with Rocco only for fun. I think herding is mutch more funny for our dogs than IPO . And for me is herding dogs more "working dogs" than dogs with IPO exam. For practical reason.
Shepperd herding sheep and wolfdog eat sheep. It's difference ...but never say never .

rocco jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 11:03   #16
furyos

hi all .. adaptation of way of master live is not a problem for our breed ... y send yu pics from one of my pupp : CORTO de la louve blanche ... master work in a farm for teenagers in difficulties who coudldn't go in a prison beacause too young and not a real solution ...they live with different animals in mountain without contact with the city ...(zootherapy programm) CORTO is a very good example for teenagers and proove that they can work and control on their agressiv comportment( for example with the Attachment 609

Attachment 610lamb)..... Csw can do more and more work we can imagine ..... best regards .. frank

Last edited by furyos; 24-11-2008 at 03:46.
furyos jest offline   Reply With Quote