Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Sport & training

Sport & training Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs as working dogs - how to train, how to teach new elements, information about competitions and training seminars...

Old 18-07-2005, 20:20   #1
Seijun

Default CZW as a police dog

This weekend I visited a book store and was reading a dog encyclopedia that included info on the CZW. At the very end of the description of the breed, it said "These dogs are not suitable for police work." I recently read an online article, however, about the CZW as a police dog, and it specifically mentioned that many officers find the CZW better than the GSD. So is the CZW a horrible police dog, or the best thing to come along since the GSD??

~Seij
Seijun jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2005, 13:56   #2
saschia

Send a message via Skype™ to saschia

Depends what your preferences are and what you really know about CSW. Because lot of people only think they know somethink, they say it is not possible to train it etc. Which is bullshit.

CSW is good for police work, BUT only if certain conditions are met - of course good character is necessary, but also the policeman should know how to work with CSW. On the other hand, no one can deny the CSW its superb sense of smell, stamina and intelligence, which are very good for police work.
saschia jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2005, 16:47   #3
michaelundinaeichhorn

The German police would be interested but they don´t have much money to spend. That is the reason why they mostly buy adult dogs with already some training in the former eastern countries like Slowakia or the Czech Repuplik. Wolfdogs often take longer to train and don´t work very well with strangers, the police´s training methods often are very old fashioned and won´t work very well with them either. So I don´t think we will have any wolfdogs in the German police corps in nearer future but on the other side I am sure they would do quite well under better conditions.

Regards Ina
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote