Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > CzW in need

CzW in need CzW looking for new homes: dogs with pedigrees but also Wolfdog-alike dogs from animal shelters....

Old 11-08-2011, 19:22   #121
Priska182
Canadian Member

Thumbs up

Hi Sara,
I'm really glad for Pollux that he finally find HIS home I wish him and his new familly all the best
Best regards,
Old 11-08-2011, 20:11   #122
Gypsy Wolf

Already mentioned the forum to them - hoping they will join. There are too few resources for vlcak folks here in the U.S.
They are hoping he will continue to make progress toward eliminating the shy/skittish behavior as he is socialized and they would like very much to do Therapy work with him, if he is comfortable with that.
He is still quite young, so we'll see how it goes.
We miss him and his quirky personality, too... his smile and his crazy burrow-under-the-covers thing...
Gypsy Wolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 20:28   #123
Mikael
Scandinavian Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunas Mom View Post
I am happy to report that Pollux has found his forever home, and that he (and we) met some interesting people who also generously gave of themselves for his sake.
A firefighter was the first to want to adopt him - a local home and a perfect owner for Pollux... however, the firefighter's girlfriend was not such a fan, so Pollux was returned. The firefighter was so committed to Pollux, however, that until Pollux was adopted, the firefighter would come over on his days off and take Pollux out - to Starbuck's, to run around at the park, to visit people - great for Pollux to get out and socialize.
His forever home found him just recently - a police officer and his wife - both of whom were totally committed to Pollux. The police officer grew up with a 3/4 Timber Wolf/GSD mix so Pollux's wolfy shyness didn't bother him at all. The wife was also not at all worried about any of the skittishness - and I made sure they both knew all of Pollux's "strange" habits/behaviors before they took him home for a "trial period"... The home is local - which is great as I was not only able to personally verify the home, but also return to give lessons to help him settle in.
I am happy to say that Pollux fell in love with his new people and is VERY happy being an "only dog." He bonded with them very quickly - and they love him completely - quirky behaviors and all. He will be neutered and is a very-much-loved pet - climbing into their laps and kissing and just so happy to be somewhere where he is not expected to be anything other than the goofy sweet puppy he really is.
Oooooo... Congratulations to you, Ed and especially Pollux

So happy to hear this
Old 19-08-2011, 02:24   #124
Gypsy Wolf

Default Further Adventures of Pollux...

So, unfortunately, home number 2 didn't work out. The wife was concerned about her ability to control him (he is a BIG boy and she is petite) - they were heartbroken, but I can understand. Pollux is sweet and well-behaved, but when he does the darty, wolf-like running away, it can be tough to deal with that all the time.
So he is back being fostered part-time between us and the firefighter who wanted him.
I have a couple interested in him, so maybe the third times a charm? In the meantime, he is either here being spoiled or at the firefighter's house being REALLY spoiled.
Old 19-08-2011, 06:00   #125
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Quote:
So, unfortunately, home number 2 didn't work out. The wife was concerned about her ability to control him (he is a BIG boy and she is petite) - they were heartbroken, but I can understand. Pollux is sweet and well-behaved, but when he does the darty, wolf-like running away, it can be tough to deal with that all the time.
So he is back being fostered part-time between us and the firefighter who wanted him.
I have a couple interested in him, so maybe the third times a charm? In the meantime, he is either here being spoiled or at the firefighter's house being REALLY spoiled.
Ok, so you give him for people to TRY??? A dog keeps changing homes and people, rules and surroundings, having no real "pack leader". At the young age he is know - do you really think it is not making him any more harm?

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 13:15   #126
Tazer

And she/they didn't think about this before they took him on. *Sighs*

Bloody hell, some people give up far to easy. Perhaps walking him using a head collar would have made it easier/possible for her to handle him, when he has one of those moments.

Sorry to here it didn't work out...again. Poor Pollux all this going back and forth between people can't be helping him settle down.

Taz
Tazer jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 20:56   #127
tupacs2legs
rookie

Send a message via ICQ to tupacs2legs

Did they think he was going to shrink and age ten years?? Poor boy
tupacs2legs jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 21:44   #128
BigBill

I so wish we had a place with room, he would get along well with our pair I'm sure.

We are still looking for a house in Louisiana or Mississippi.
BigBill jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 04:33   #129
Gypsy Wolf

I do not put him in a home thinking it is just temporary, but I DO require that if there is a problem that they don't think they can work out, I want him back. So, in these instances, there was a "trial period" unfortunately. Honestly, though, I would MUCH rather insist that the adoptors return him to me if there is a problem rather than dump him in a shelter because they are too embarassed to let me know it didn't work out.
Having done rescue with other dogs, I have seen that happen before - the family takes the dog, a month later they realize their Malinois puppy is just "too much" for them and rather than contacting Rescue, they just dump the puppy off at Animal Control.
That is the major reason I prefer to adopt him locally - I can take him back or pull him from a shelter if he ends up there.
I know there are special needs that vlcaks have, so I know he is not the easiest dog to re-home. I am very frustrated, but how can I blame people for not being able to deal with him? It isn't their fault - they tried, I think. They certainly did not go into the relationship thinking it would be temporary, either. His recent home was over two weeks, and when I see them crying as they hand me the dog... and see how much Pollux loved them, too...
I am not a fan of his bouncing around homes, either, although I WILL say the extra socialization and exposure to different situations IS healthy for Pollux. The adoptors were not particularly strict with their rules and Pollux does not seem any different or damaged in any way from his experiences. I could see that he had bonded with his recent adoptors and clearly loved them. He was just as happy to see Ed and I, too, but clearly enjoyed his "trial periods"... in fact, I have seen that he seems to adapt very quickly and easily to the people he is with. That is a GOOD thing in my book - healthy to see him be confident and open with them.
So there are broken hearts all around. Even this evening when the foster firefighter dropped Pollux off to us, he was seriously bummed. He was hoping, during his fostering, that his girlfriend would accept Pollux... it seemed to be working, except that it sort of worked too well - Pollux got all happy and excited when she came home and he jumped on her accidentally scratching her face with a claw... It threw her back into her fear of him. <sigh> And with that instinctive distrust, it doesn't matter what I say - she just doesn't want him in her house.
So we are back to square one. I am upset and frustrated and worried that we will never find the right person/people for him... of course he will stay here until we do, but I feel badly that I can't give him more than I do. He is an amazing boy - he so deserves to be someone's only boy (or maybe one of two dogs) someone who won't mind his wolfy quirks and not be afraid of his more obnoxious behaviors (like his play nipping and boxing). For crying out loud, he is even good with cats! What a special boy!
So here's hoping we can find him a good placement... this is, by far, the toughest dog I've ever had to place...
Old 21-08-2011, 07:35   #130
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

How sad. I've always thought of getting a pet - through a breeder, a shelter, a rescue, doesn't matter - as a life long commitment. Poor Pollux.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 13:37   #131
Tazer

It is so very sad.

I feel sorry for the fireman, he clearly loves Pollux and is prepared to take him qwerks and all. What a fool the girlfriend sounds, giving up on what seems to be a wonderful dog, simply because he got a bit over enthusiastic with his greeting. *Shakes head* some people.

I really do wish I lived closer, he'd fit in well here.

Hope some day soon he will find someone who is willing and able to give him the home he deserves.

Taz
Old 22-08-2011, 10:14   #132
Tassle

I am surprised she was happy to have him there in the first place from what has been said.

I guess its 4th (or 5th?) time lucky for Pollux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
It is so very sad.

I feel sorry for the fireman, he clearly loves Pollux and is prepared to take him qwerks and all. What a fool the girlfriend sounds, giving up on what seems to be a wonderful dog, simply because he got a bit over enthusiastic with his greeting. *Shakes head* some people.

I really do wish I lived closer, he'd fit in well here.

Hope some day soon he will find someone who is willing and able to give him the home he deserves.

Taz
Methinks he was booting the wrong one out
Tassle jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 11:03   #133
Tazer

Lol, indeed.

Taz
Old 22-08-2011, 11:07   #134
Vaiva
ir Brukne

Send a message via Skype™ to Vaiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Methinks he was booting the wrong one out
Totally
Strange thing people do not really think before they take a dog to their home...

Vaiva jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 03:14   #135
Gypsy Wolf

I agree, Taz - the firefighter is DEFINITELY booting the wrong one out! That opinion is unanimous - of course most of my friends are animal lovers, but the bottom line is, the loyalty of another human is questionable whereas the loyalty of a dog? ALWAYS.
Took him to meet the couple who will be fostering him when I go out of town to officiate my baby sister's wedding. He is such an amazing boy - just fit right in like he was meant to be there.
I also got a report from the firefighter - apparently the last time he was fostered there they let him sleep in their bedroom out of the crate and also left him loose in their home when they went out to dinner. Since I have not allowed him to be loose with no supervision I wanted to know how he did. Anything destroyed? Nope. Although he DID learn how to open the door from their house to the garage and left a whole loft of incriminating nose prints on the jeep parked there!
He also was more than happy to snooze the day away with the firefighter and befriended all the dogs in the neighborhood.
So we have some people interested in him who I am planning to interview and make SURE they know, up front, the good, the bad and the ugly so that they will know exactly what they are getting into. Because I see his quirky behaviors as easy to modify I don't necessarily think of them as something that would inspire someone to give him back. Yes, he is big. Yes, he will jump on people he loves in greeting. Yes, he will nip in play. All those things can be fixed, though. I wonder why the previous homes thought it was something to get rid of him over?
Old 28-10-2011, 03:54   #136
Gypsy Wolf

Default Finally adopted!

So, as I had hoped, the foster home - firefighter and girlfriend - did end up officially adopting Pollux. To our surprise and joy (and relief) the girlfriend really stepped up to the plate and made huge steps toward caring for Pollux - walking him herself, feeding him, working with him, etc. That was really what was holding the firefighter back - he didn't want to put the burden of the dog on her. He even bought a kennel for his fenced yard so that Pollux could stay out there and she wouldn't have to care for him when the firefighter was on shift.
Pollux himself fell in love with the girlfriend - he is MUCH more responsive to her than he is to the firefighter - he adores her. So, push came to shove when I was away and the firefighter had to pull a shift without Pollux coming here - so the girlfriend had no choice but to put her money where her mouth is... and she did great. Pollux actually slept on the bed with her and for the first time, she felt "safe" at home without the firefighter there. Yes, Pollux is a scaredy-cat but no would argue with a growling or barking wolf!
So after that, the firefighter decided to officially adopt Pollux. Since then (early October), he reports that they returned the kennel, as Pollux is always loose in the house while they are away! I would NEVER have even suggested an intact adolescent male vlcak be allowed to be loose and unsupervised in a house, but Pollux does not do anything naughty! Apparently one day the girlfriend could not lure him or push him into his crate, so she just left him loose... and he was perfectly behaved, so he has earned the privelege of not having to be crated - unless HE wants to - every once in a while he will go into his crate for a nap. Usually, though, he is with his people - even when he has room to run... the firefighter has a few acres available to him for private hikes, campfire gatherings, etc... he brings Pollux, and because Pollux is SO bonded with his people, he doesn't use a leash. Pollux is glued to their side. Again, I would NEVER advocate that, but I am glad that he has settled in to such a nice life with his adopted family. They understand him (probably better than I do, in some ways, as they are able to enjoy behavior that I would not have trusted him to do), love him and have really made changes to accomodate his needs. Who could ask for better? He is a pampered, much-loved pet who has run of the house, his own private nature refuge to hike on, his people take him out to eat at several outdoor restaurants - they solely eat there to be able to take him with them- he gets to snuggle and sleep on the bed, ride in the jeep, go to fun dog parks to socialize (one of his favorite things in life)... I will see them this weekend - a month follow-up to make sure he is as happy as reported - and I am thrilled that, despite all the difficulties in adopting him out, it worked out well in the end...
Old 28-10-2011, 04:27   #137
yukidomari

Send a message via Skype™ to yukidomari

Quote:
So, as I had hoped, the foster home - firefighter and girlfriend - did end up officially adopting Pollux.
Happy news for you and your friend Siobhan, and congratulations to Pollux! May he have many years of happiness.
yukidomari jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2011, 08:38   #138
Czertice
Rakša

Great news! Kudos to the brave girlfriend
Old 29-10-2011, 16:05   #139
Shadowlands

Brilliant news So happy for Pollux, the Firefighter and his - wonderful - girlfriend.
Shadowlands jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 18:59   #140
Tassle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlands View Post
Brilliant news So happy for Pollux, the Firefighter and his - wonderful - girlfriend.
Seconded
Tassle jest offline   Reply With Quote