Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Clubs & law

Clubs & law Information about CzW clubs in other countries, law concerning CzW and Kennel CLub regulations...

Old 04-02-2005, 23:26   #1
Dinky

Send a message via ICQ to Dinky Send a message via AIM to Dinky
Default CsW recognized by the AKC?

Hi, new here =]

I was wondering if anyone would know how close the CsW is to being a recognized breed in the AKC? As of right now they are on the FSS [Foundation stock service] list, but are not eligible for anything, as far as I know.

Thanks to anyone that takes the time
to answer!

..::~Dinky~::..
Dinky jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 01:16   #2
natbot89

Send a message via AIM to natbot89

hey i think FSS breeds can compete in companion events like agility and obedience...not sure about comformation. i know that there are rare breed, non-AKC shows in the US sometimes though.
natbot89 jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 01:39   #3
natbot89

Send a message via AIM to natbot89

ahh after doing a bit more research i found out that FSS breeds indeed are not considered to be "registerable". this means that they can't compete in anything akc-related. what a bummer!
natbot89 jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2005, 05:13   #4
Cora

Default US-AKC

ok, I just tried for the first time to reply and it seems it did not work; in the worst case my comments will show up twice...

I am currently living in the US but I am European; I discovered your website just a few days ago and since then asked some dog people here if they know the breed - so far nobody had heard about it but most have heard about some wolfmixes (I have met one here)

in regard of AKC; it sounds to me that AKC is mainly focusing on "show" and appearance and several original working breeds did not immediately join AKC; the border collie jooined pretty recently and breeders of working lines are not necessarily happy about it, the breeder association of working Kelpies for example decided as far as I know not to join AKC because this priority on "showing"; so I am not sure if it would do a breed like the CsW any good to get under the regulations of the AKC...

Cora
Cora jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2005, 19:01   #5
Dinky

Send a message via ICQ to Dinky Send a message via AIM to Dinky

Its not that I care about "showing", I was more interested in AKC events such as the agility, obedience, and the like.
Dinky jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2005, 05:34   #6
slarman

Dinky,
I have an American Bulldog,they are not AKC recognized and the clubs in the USA don't want them to be,my point is that they sanction their own events relevant to the breeds origin and award titles.I know in the USA there are non-AKC clubs that sponsor events and awards and if you do some research there may be such a club in your state.Also go to the Schutzhund clubs they will help you.
Simon
slarman jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2005, 17:17   #7
WolfmanUSA

Why don't CzW breeders try for UKC recognition? In reading about both clubs it seems that the UKC focuses on working ability over confirmation and the AKC is primarily focused on confirmation. While confirmation and breed standard are important, I think the working ability should be held in high regard as well. For me it just seems the AKC ruined a lot of good working breeds and I would hate to see it happen to an awsome breed like the CzW.
WolfmanUSA jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2005, 03:33   #8
slarman

WolfmanUSA,
Yes,you're correct,the UKC and NKC are more working dog oriented,and in the UKC's case it is the second largest registry in the USA.I'd say that if any American was to set up a club,as in Australia,it would be a good idea to join a large registry organisation to protect the breed under very strict constitutions such as these registries have to ensure the breed and the owners rights don't go AWOL.
Simon
slarman jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 01:47   #9
johnslawek

Hello,

In addition to the UKC and NKC you may find the following site interesting www.arba.org , as it includes a plethora of breeds not recognized by the AKC. They may satisfy your desire.
johnslawek jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2005, 14:57   #10
Margo

Send a message via Skype™ to Margo Send Message via Gadu Gadu to Margo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfmanUSA
Why don't CzW breeders try for UKC recognition?
There is one problem - UKC is not recognized by FCI (only AKC papers are accepted).... So it would be not possible to 'exchange' dogs.....OK, it would be possible to registed dog from Europe by UKC but it is not possible to register by FCI a dog with UKC pedigree...

The customs of your tribe are not laws of nature - George Bernard Shaw
Margo jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2005, 18:35   #11
elkr919

Greetings, i live in the US and am looking for a nearby breeder (canada, US if possible). also are there any regulations for bringing Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs to the states from abroad. Thanks!
elkr919 jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2005, 21:40   #12
michaelundinaeichhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margo

So it would be not possible to 'exchange' dogs.....OK, it would be possible to registed dog from Europe by UKC but it is not possible to register by FCI a dog with UKC pedigree...
It would be possible to get the dog registered in the FCI over the phenotypus registration. The puppies wouldn´t get normal pedigrees for some generations but that wouldn´t matter if you have the interest of the breed in mind. It would be much better than to get showing lines.
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 01:30   #13
cpw

Send a message via Yahoo to cpw
Default The AKC recognises CSW as a breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirkawolf1
Paul,
We all know CSW is no wolf-hybrid. We all know it is normal FCI recognised breed, with official pedigree and so on. However, institutions as DEFRA or the American kennel Club just refuse to accept this.
The AKC recognises CSW as a breed. They have a listing in their Foundation Stock Service.http://www.akc.org/breeds/fss_breeds.cfm
cpw jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 02:35   #14
Nebulosa

Send a message via ICQ to Nebulosa Send a message via MSN to Nebulosa Send a message via Skype™ to Nebulosa

That I understand about these FSS AKC breeds, is that they are not reconigsed but can be aproved ( official) in the "working shows".
These breeds not receive the AKC "normal" register.
My opinion, is better AKC never regonigses the CzW, the AKC are "mesters" for changing the standard and make one " show breed" only. ( you can see this problem in the breed Rottweiler and Dobermann).

Greetings

Paula
Nebulosa jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2006, 14:54   #15
Mirkawolf

Send a message via ICQ to Mirkawolf Send a message via Skype™ to Mirkawolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw
The AKC recognises CSW as a breed. They have a listing in their Foundation Stock Service.http://www.akc.org/breeds/fss_breeds.cfm
That´s crazy. If AKC really recognises CSW as a breed, why has the poor guy in USA so many problems with his CSW? Including having troubles with the vet not willing to vaccinate his CSW, thinking that it is wolf-hybrid? (See the thread - What should I tell the vet.) I checked the link, I see they have CSW on the list of dog breeds. So why the troubles? Is it possible, that different US states would have so different rules, that they would not follow even the American Kennel Club?
Old 20-10-2007, 04:22   #16
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak
Default Opinion on AKC/FSS registry

This question is especially for American owners, but I'm also curious about the opinions owners/breeders in other countries. What are the feelings about registering CSWs in the FSS registry for the AKC? Has anyone registered their CSW with this service? Our GSD is registered through AKC, but the problem with AKC is that there is very little protection for the integrity and health, which are only as good as the breeders honesty. I've actually read some hostility towards AKC (from Coton De TuLear breeders, especially!) from rare breed fanciers in the US. For this breed, though, I feel as though AKC recognition offers the best "protection" with regards to legislation - not that FSS is considered recognition, but still... Also, as I read in an earlier post, FCI only recognizes AKC, so that could be an issue if someone were to consider breeding. Which I assume, most owners in US at this point are not.

I realize there are very few CSWs in the US, but has anyone ever considered starting a breed club (possibly regional, such as East Coast/West Coast?). If a club were to be started sometime in the not too distant future, would anyone be interested in participating?

Just some food for thought...
Marcy
GalomyOak jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2007, 22:08   #17
solowolf

Default Fss

Hi Marcy, I have just read up on the FSS on internet, seems you have a lot of work to do with the Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs in USA, it will take a long time to gain AKC recognition but you have to start somewhere, so go for it, for those of you on wolfdog.org interested in this discussion please look at http://www.akc.org/reg/fss_details.cfm this will help explain the breeds situation in USA, I know it will be hard and will get frustrating for you but here in u.k we have been fighting for 6 years just to get the breed of the Dangerous wild animal listing, so you are one step ahead of us already as this problem will not apply to you, any dogs you import to the USA will have there pedigrees and all can be checked and verified on this web site, you must concentrate on getting a gene pool so you can start breeding programe quickly, you can add to this as you increase in numbers, this is a wonderful breed of dog and it would be nice to see the people of USA enjoying it as well, good luck keep us posted on your progress we can be reached by email [email protected] best regards paul and mandy u.k
solowolf jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2007, 22:25   #18
Hanka

Send a message via ICQ to Hanka Send a message via Skype™ to Hanka

Hello Marcy,
my puppy Polo od Uhoste lives in USA- Seatle. His owner Tyson wrote to forum some articles about it. I think, it was last year. Try find it in history of forum. Hanka
Hanka jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2007, 20:13   #19
wolfangel

All US owners should register their CSV in the AKC-FSS book.
This is the very first step to obtain full recognition.
It needs 300 registered dogs.... + other things like I mentioned in forum's other answers

I'll keep the forum updated for the Canadian part... and as soon as CFC will officially register CSV, all US owners will be able to show their dogs in CFC dog shows! Only three yearly actually but more CSV we'll be there, more it will help the breed recognition. CFC have plenty of US exibitors coming with other rare breeds.

Never argue with idiots.
They drag you down to their level,
then beat you with experience.
wolfangel jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 17:04   #20
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

The AKC has officially changed the FSS registry name to "Czechoslovakian Vlcak" from Czechoslovakian Wolfdog, as reflected on the website.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/czechoslovakian_wolfdog/

I am hopeful that this name change will help to distance the breed from "other" unregulated types of wolfdogs in the US. Just out of curiosity, who are the dogs/people in the photos on the AKC site?

Marcy
GalomyOak jest offline   Reply With Quote