Go Back   Wolfdog.org forum > English > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous All about Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs...

Old 24-02-2005, 19:53   #1
thalia_wolf_spirit

Default wolfdogs in "the land down under"

hey u guys,

my name is Thalia, and I'm a newbie, so take it easy one me lol Ever since about i can remember i've aways had this fascination with wolves and dogs, so i guess its only natural for me to want a "wolf-dog" as a pet Anywho, i was wondering if anyone knew about the legalities in Australia in regards to owning a czech wolfdog as a pet, as i realise this is a recognised in a few countries, but I haven't heard much about them in Oz...if anyone knows more about this issue, regarding legalities or any helpful websites, please feel free to let me know

Muchas gracias amigos :P

Thalia xxxx
thalia_wolf_spirit jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2005, 04:19   #2
ligerwolve

Hey, another Aussie here. A wolf dog must be at least five generations removed to be imported(from a wolf). To find out about importing just google search this and read all info on pets. Unfortunately we dont particapate in the "pet travel scheme" so if you import from any where except England the animal will have to stay in quarantine for six month. If you get it from the Uk you would have to purchase it from the breeder when its a year old so it can have all its shots. but is about one month quarantine. The problem with that is you need DEFRA permission and they currently are against this breed. But hey if you do get one let me know I have a dog Im about to breed (hopefully) that is part wolf but has shepherd like markings. If you are interested let me know.
ligerwolve jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2005, 16:53   #3
thalia_wolf_spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligerwolve
Hey, another Aussie here. A wolf dog must be at least five generations removed to be imported(from a wolf). To find out about importing just google search this and read all info on pets. Unfortunately we dont particapate in the "pet travel scheme" so if you import from any where except England the animal will have to stay in quarantine for six month. If you get it from the Uk you would have to purchase it from the breeder when its a year old so it can have all its shots. but is about one month quarantine. The problem with that is you need DEFRA permission and they currently are against this breed. But hey if you do get one let me know I have a dog Im about to breed (hopefully) that is part wolf but has shepherd like markings. If you are interested let me know.
thanks for the feedback, though i acknowledge a lot of the points made such as the 5th generation comment and the quarantining issue, hehe, shoulda been more specific i know, and im sorry And i realise this topic may have been covered beforehand, so i'm also sorry for any inconvenience i may of caused hehe, now that iv outdone myself with apologies lol, can i ask how id get in contact with DEFRA, and also, yes ligerwolve, id luv to know more about ur doggie ur plannin on breeding, just pm me..
Old 26-02-2005, 04:55   #4
slarman

Thalia,
We don't have to worry about DEFRA just the Dept.of Environment and Natural Resources.You can import a Wolfdog here as long as you can prove it is at least 5gens from any pure wolf,however,it is this proof that is hardest to get as pedigree papers are not sufficient.I know cos I've already spoken to the relevant people and have friends in Quarantine kennels.Simon-Australia
slarman jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2005, 08:47   #5
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slarman
as long as you can prove it is at least 5gens from any pure wolf,however,it is this proof that is hardest to get as pedigree papers are not sufficient.I know cos I've already spoken to the relevant people and have friends in Quarantine kennels.Simon-Australia
That's a peculiar situation, isn't it... In what other way, then, can one prove that the dog is at least 5 generations away form the wolf if not through his/her pedigree papers....? By questioning the dog itself or maybe examining its genetic code?
Isn't the red tape absurd everywhere in the world.....
Rona jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 00:42   #6
ligerwolve

The reason to contact DEFRA is to do with the animal leaving the country. When i contacted quarantine they told me that I would have to contact DEFRA as they deal with the animals that are exported. "You should also confirm with DEFRA the officially recognised diagnostic laboratory for export testing in the UK is:" thats a small quote. Theres alot of work that goes into importing this animal. Who are you contacting Slarman? I would like to know, maybe you have found an easier way.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:13   #7
slarman

Ligerwolf,
You are only concentrating on importing thru England!You can import directly from any country in the world.Most countries in Europe are only 30days quarantine minimum into Australia.Why go to England,where the breed is banned when you can import straight from Czechoslovakia and not even go any where near the UK.
Simon
Old 03-03-2005, 02:15   #8
ligerwolve

I guess because looking at the information as a whole it would run smoother, which is good for the dog. If it was not for DEFRA this would be an easy choice. However I am looking at other countries aswell. I am practising my french just incase. I would prefer to go some where that I have relatives so they could also help me out. I think that this is not just a case of import the dog. These are wolfdogs and need proper attention. If I think that this will be unhealthy for the dog than I just wont import. I am taking this very slowly as you dont want to have yoyr dog stuck in quarantine and then find out there might be a problem. Do you have any experience in import Slarman? I would like to talk to some people that have done this before, there is so much information to digest. And are you just getting one animal or a breeding pair?
Old 03-03-2005, 08:58   #9
slarman

I fully understand where you're coming from.Quarantine is a difficult hurdle to get over but it's very possible and only looks difficult!
Myself,I am looking at a breeding pair,and then individual dogs,as I would keep a female from the first litter.Also I contacted the Vic.Canine Assoc. and the Aust.National Kennel Council and they are prepared to recognise the breed as long as I follow their guidelines which is fair.If we get them recognised then the breed has protection from the wankers,unlike the Pit bull.Simon
Old 03-03-2005, 10:48   #10
thalia_wolf_spirit

Quote:
I fully understand where you're coming from.Quarantine is a difficult hurdle to get over but it's very possible and only looks difficult!
Myself,I am looking at a breeding pair,and then individual dogs,as I would keep a female from the first litter.Also I contacted the Vic.Canine Assoc. and the Aust.National Kennel Council and they are prepared to recognise the breed as long as I follow their guidelines which is fair.If we get them recognised then the breed has protection from the wankers,unlike the Pit bull.Simon
That/s great how you've got into contact with the VCA and ANKC...I realise this would result in the breeds protection and recognition and hopefully a more positive outlook on importing high quality CzW's to Australia and breeding them to better the standard. Please keep us informed as to how this goes and if you are successful
Old 07-03-2005, 09:36   #11
ligerwolve

It sounds like you are well on your way to importing Slarman. You will probably get a pair soon. I too was thinking a pair but maybe I wont have to. Might look you up and see if we could breed our dogs. You will definately have to keep us up to date on your progress. Perhaps when we have a few different animals here we will have to start a club so we can all compaire notes. Slarman have you done any courses to do with dogs? For that matter has anyone done dog related courses? Did they find them useful and what does everyone do for a living?
Old 08-03-2005, 09:37   #12
slarman

Ligerwolf,I am a fully accredited dogtrainer.I am also thinking of updating my skills.Yes,I am hoping that as numbers grow a club will form with approval from the Aust.National Kennel Club.Also if you buy a pup with me I will pay for the dogs training,and only give pedigrees on proof of passing level2 obedience[off lead].There will be alot of work to do,and I'm still not sure I will import.At the moment I am not financial enough,but I hope you are successful.
Simon
PS Feel free to E-mail me [email protected]
Old 09-03-2005, 10:38   #13
ligerwolve

Ive always wanted to know how to become an acredited Dog Trainer but I cant find any courses. Do you just join an obedience club? I am going to undertake some small courses on dogs this year and hopefully can move later so I can go for a degree in Animal Behaviour. I dont have the money yet (for importing) but I have about $9000 so far. But I will keep working on it. May be taking on another dog soon, friend has unwanted puppy. So I will be busy anyway.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:51   #14
slarman

Ligerwolf,
You closer to importing than me.If you're interested in becoming a dogtrainer go to www.ndtf.net.au.
Simon
Old 11-03-2005, 01:25   #15
ligerwolve

Thanks Slarman, I will look into that.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:32   #16
wolfdog_lover

Hi,

I am new here so please go easy on me...

I was just wondering if there are breeders for the wolfdogs here, and if there are what type of wolfdogs are here?

I am a wolfdog fan, but want to know the breeders and their wolfdogs aswell as get one for myself, I want to learn a bit from those breeders aswell, so if you guys have some information that would help me, that would be great.
wolfdog_lover jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 18:18   #17
Koos

Hi Wolfdog Lover,

Where do you come from. Also from Australia??????

Letty
Koos jest offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 18:32   #18
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
,I am hoping that as numbers grow a club will form with approval from the Aust.National Kennel Club.Also if you buy a pup with me I will pay for the dogs training,and only give pedigrees on proof of passing level2 obedience[off lead].
I see guys that you've taken my piece of advice from a few months ago, and are considering a bulk purchase?
Let me know when the first Aussie pups are born. I'll adveritse them among my Australian friends...
Old 12-03-2005, 00:48   #19
slarman

I haven't suggested a bulk purchase of pups,and whilst I live in Victoria, Idon't know Ligerwolf lives maybe she could tell me?Anyway a dog has to be no less than 6 months to be imported and to have passed many blood tests before being allowed to come here,so any Aussies looking to import should bring in adult dogs.Also a pregnant female must be no more than 3 weeks pregnant on arrival in quarantine,and they must all stay in quarantine until the pups are 8 weeks,which makes it more expensive as you are charged the same daily rate for each pup as you are an adult[I think about $25 a day]so if a bitch has 8 pups.......well you do the maths.
Simon
Old 12-03-2005, 07:42   #20
Rona
Distinguished Member

Quote:
I haven't suggested a bulk purchase of pups,s.......well you do the maths.
Simon
I was only joking I wish you both all the best with your plans