View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 18:41   #13
michaelundinaeichhorn

I don´t want to start here with Charactertests it will bring us very much off topic. But maybe the owner or the breeder of the dog or the breeding comission can explain why they decided to give it a P3.

Charactertest will bring us totally of topic because then we will have to discuss the difficulties in doing it with defense trained dogs and not defense trained ones and using both behaviour in messurement and in the test itself. I have seen both versions and for me as a behavourist the so called "real threatening" in the Czech version is a normal training situation for the trained dog, knowing how most of the dogs are trained, nothing to do with a threat. In the Czech bonitation I saw, there have been dogs that were so fear aggressiv that they could only be meassured of the owner and hat to be muzzeld still. They got good results in the Charactertest because they attacked like hell being threatened of a known figurant in training dress with a training stick having learned that is the most sensible thing to do.
Our dog reacting absolutely cool all the time but not reacting on the threat at all because being trained to do so since his whole life, got a less courage, not being afraid for one second. For me, knowing about learning theories, this has not been a charactertest of any use but simply a selection on fear aggression.
This is the real problem in bonitation, not 1 cm that show up in the bonitation code and are visible for everybody, together with a lot of cases where visible mistakes that don´t get meassured like not correct ears, bad mask, bad back line ore angulation that didn´t get mentioned in the code of some dogs out of whatever reason.

But I don´t see any sense in not doing a bonitation just because it isn´t perfect. For me it still is at least some information about the dog for all people knowing about it. And a sign of a breeder that at least tries to follow some rules.
And I too have my problems with bonitations like some Swizz ones where dogs with a code full of several severe mistakes got P1, I think it is correct not to accept these bonitations.

Ina
michaelundinaeichhorn jest offline   Reply With Quote