View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 23:42   #5
Nebulosa

Send a message via ICQ to Nebulosa Send a message via MSN to Nebulosa Send a message via Skype™ to Nebulosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by André View Post
But the problem is even worse because of travelling. People mate dogs because the stud is more accessible. For example, for me a trip to Poland will be 6000km by car... with the dog! (yeah, I know, you made even more but generally speaking... no one would do it)
With IA we could choose THE RIGHT dog. Still, I don't know what it takes... is it expensive? Complicated process? Any breeder here sent semen abroad?
But that's exactly the main point, often the right stud dogs does NOT have the right owner or will not live in the right place (ie. with conditions) for IA, and I can tell you that few owners would be willing to really have a lot of work, searching for competent vets and clinics, for cool or freeze the semen only to send it for you.

In some countries is not easy to find a vet able to work with semen properly and you must take this in consideration, if the vet does not make a good work preparing the semen for you, you will expend a lot of money and lose a heat of your female for nothing.

A breeder will probably see no problems in do it all to send semen for you, but several times good studs are not in hands of breeders, but of mere owners as pets.