View Single Post
Old 10-03-2008, 23:45   #3
Dharkwolf

Send a message via ICQ to Dharkwolf Send a message via MSN to Dharkwolf Send a message via Skype™ to Dharkwolf

I would just like to share with you a few dogs.

1) Trying to simultaneously raise two Czecoslovakian wolfdogs pups is extremely difficult - and at times can even be dangerous. What is likely to happen is that the pups bond together rather than to you, which means that they listen to each other and not to you. As times grows this becomes an ever greater problem. The only times I have heard of people successfully socializing and living with two pups from the same litter is when the second pup came much later into the family (18 months or so). I also know of cases when CSVs had to be put down because it was impossible to handle them after they had grown bonded together but not to people. Unless you have a lot of time and patience on your hands (which can be challenging, with you toddler around the house) I would seriously consider rehoming one of your pups. You simply do not need the hassle.

2) House breaking can take more or less time depending on circumstances but a fair rule of thumb is that you can expect six months of accidents. Things will get better, but it is not unusual for there to still be the occassional problem with pups aged 6-7 months though after this things should be ok. There are particular circumstances which cause more problems though, such as when the pup suffers repeatedly from the runs, or from urinary tract or digestive infections (these can be common when they are eating just about anything!)

3) CSV pups like to explore. Nothing seems to please them more than to explore what can be put into their bellies - this will pass. (Again though it can take some time) Could you tell us more about what and how you are feeding the pups? It might make it easier to understand the problem.

4) CSVs and kids - Yes you can train CSVs to be fantastic with kids. BUT this is not going to happen overnight. Avoid any situation where there is a competition about food between the CSV and your toddler, that will just upset everyone. Eventually they can learn to respect even a very young child, but you have to remember that for a young CSV pup a three year old toddler is just about the best toy you can play with! (It moves, it makes noise, it will always react when prodded, licked or even grinned at, and will occassionally drop a tidbit of food. Fantastic fun!)

Best of luck.