View Single Post
Old 29-09-2011, 15:14   #62
GalomyOak
Howling Member

Send a message via Skype™ to GalomyOak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
GalomyOak...what do you mean by 'outside' people and mindless questions?!
I am referring to the people that come up to me...on a busy main road full of crowds - and ask me "Is that a wolf?" or the people that come up fussing at me how irresponsible it is to own such an animal (I get this especially when I am walking my big, totally stable male, Bongo, who is a therapy dog that works with mentally students prone to outbursts and "odd" behaviors ). I mean, c'mon. Unfortunately, this isn't limited to the average person walking the street; "experts" also exhibit this reasoning from time to time as well...it's why we decided to go with Vlcak in the US instead of wolfdog.

I was referring to this comment (maybe clueless is a better term than mindless):

"when I am out with my dogs many people ask what they are and i reply czechoslovakian wolfdogs the obvious next question is usually how come a wolf dog do they have wolf in them, I usually just smile and say yes originally they did but by the time i've explained a bit more they are glazed over and confused. Even my vet asked me if I knew of what % wolf genes would be left now? So I thought I'd ask on here, Ive followed the site a while but thought it was a valid ask!"

There is no need, really, to explain to these people "how much wolf" is in my Vlcak. They have already developed their own ideas based on what they see. More important is to describe the value of our breed, and how they have been selectively bred for many years, and let them interact with my dog. If they are receptive, then I will explain more. The coolness of dogs (or wolfdogs) is the ability to control their genetic variability within a relatively short period of time.