Thread: DM Testresults
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 00:15   #206
massimo

Send a message via ICQ to massimo Send a message via MSN to massimo

One last comment, then I will return to my long and healthy absence from this site.
I believe that a breeder that "produced" DM/DM dogs has nothing to be ashamed about, he simply wasn't lucky. On the other hand, a breeder who has only N/N dogs was just luck, not a cool breeder.

As already mentioned by Daniela, there is surely another factor than merely the SOD1 gene, and this factor has not been found yet. Let's call it factor F.
Only when Factor F is combined to SOD1 gene, the illness will occur.
It is therefore important, TODAY, from a medical point of view both the SICK dogs (DM/DM and Factor F) and the healthy but positive dogs (DM/DM but no factor F). So testing our dogs is important to help the research MORE than just avoiding to have sick dogs.

As for Breeding and Breeders, DM/N dogs should be used freely in breeding but with a careful attention, and I believe also DM/DM dogs should be used as long as we avoid to produce DM/DM dogs.
Don't forget that from DM/DM dogs also non positive dogs can be born, and with a correct breeding the DM gene can be even eliminated after the second generation.
My Jasna is PROUD niece of Baron Spod Dumbera and is N/N. I am glad he was used in breeding and that he wasnt STUPIDLY cut off.

I believe it is DUTY of a breeder, today, to do the maximum he can to avoid producing DM/DM dogs, but I also believe that it would be a CRIME and DESTRUCTION of our race if breeder used ONLY N/N dogs in his breeding plans or if owners bought ONLY N/N dogs and avoided the DM/N ones.

Goodnight!

Last edited by massimo; 01-04-2011 at 00:18.
massimo jest offline   Reply With Quote