View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 02:13   #12
tupacs2legs
rookie

Send a message via ICQ to tupacs2legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennin Lauma View Post
I completely agree with Fede86.

Oh, my... I'm so tired of these statements like "the animal is confused, it does not know whether it is a dog or a wolf"... yadiyadiyadiyaa...
That does not make any sence at all! -If I breed a Dogo Argentino to a Lab, will the puppies have split personalities and be confuced because they do not know whether they should act like a fierce fighter or a seeing eye quide...? My gosh... think about it.

And the thing Jennifer does to this very low content wolfdog (mostly Husky/Malamute) when it starts chasing her and grabs her leg, would be down right dangerous with a wolf or high content wolfdog.
Just ask anyone (other than Shaun Ellis) who is REALLY experienced with wolves & high content wolfdogs, they would never recommend you to try acting like a wolf and dominate the animal by staring and growling to it's face. -You might just end up loosing your face...
All the real experts on wolves & wolfdogs tell you to act human and train the animal with the same methods we know today are the most effective ways to train a dog, -or just about any animal; the positive reinforcement. All those domination theories and punishment - based training methods are old days dog training, and today scientifically proven wrong and ineffective, often causing even more troubles.

And of course, to better understand a (real) wolfy wolfdog, one should learn to understand the differences in wolf behaviour and doggy-dog behaviour. Basically all the same behaviours we see in wolves, are found in dogs too. Only the wolf behaviour is generally many times more intense. -And that is what causes probles for people who don't understand, and do not know how to handle and train an animal. -And I'm not only talking about lack of knowledge about training a wolf or a wolfdog, but any animal in general.
Also it is important to know and understand the differences in hormone activity in wolves and dogs, and especially what that often means with mature wolves / wolfy-wolfdogs between the seasons. Wolves are fertile only once a year and during that time their hormones kick in, causing some changes in behaviour.

One part that was corrct in the film was that when Jennifer said noted that the wolf is a highly territorial animal. And so it is not a "collect them all" -kind of an animal for people who want their animals to be social. But the world is full of doggy-dogs that are known to be unsocial too. And though I do not own a CsV myself, I have understood that this is typical for those too, isn't it?

And BTW; to all Cesar fans here, this is how he trains a fearfull wolfdog:

^You call this today's dog training? Here in our country, strangling an animal is concidered illegal, and with "training" methods like this, you would soon end up in trouble with the authorities.
Also I've seen Cesar kicking the dogs, and for example using an electric collar on a black GSD to accustom it to the family's cat. -I wonder how the dog should learn to concider the cat as a friend / family member, when teached that every time the cat enters the room and the dog sees the cat, it get's painfull shocks...?
good post!! completely agree .....and as for c.m!!
tupacs2legs jest offline   Reply With Quote