View Single Post
Old 18-08-2009, 13:04   #15
Vicky

This is exactly what I was saying. I know full well that shyness is a trait that should be excluded from the breed, but I'm saying that this is a quality that should always be judged while actually, physically, in front of the dog. I am in no way confusing CsVs with wolves, I see the same exaggerated body language every day with my siberian husky, as well as others that I have worked with, and the behavior is constantly misinterpreted by people who don't understand this language.

The way I see it, a dog is allowed a photo or two in one instant where something in the situation made them unsure. However, if this shyness is a dog's normal state, and there ISN'T a time the dog is confident, then THAT is the dog that should be disqualified.

I'm not commenting here or there on the dog posted in this thread, because I don't know the dog. However, I am commenting on the use of one photo to judge a dog's character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelundinaeichhorn View Post
Vicky didn´t write about charakter but about temperament and I think what she ment was body language. I very often have seen the situation that somebody thought a wolfdog is afraid of something because it´s tail was down and maybe a little bit curled to the inside, knowing these dogs in daily life I know they aren´t shy at all, they haven´t been afraid, they simply didn´t like this special situation in this very moment but passed it without any problems. The reason for this is that they show more body-expressions of their emotional status than a normal dog, simply because they are still able to show it anatomically. The human taste in bodyshapes has robbed every breed of a lot of it´s ability to show body-signals out of anatomical reasons. It has nothing to do with charakter it is only a lack of body function.
Being used to wolves and working with them every day I do see that already our breed has lost some of this language, seeing hundreds of dogs of all breeds every year I can see that they still show a lot more signals than other breeds. The latter is the problem in judging for people that aren´t used to wolves that much but used to other breeds.
One of my dogs won´t carry it´s tail high all the time on an exhibition and very likely will carry it down on a podium because she doesn´t like to sit in noisy surroundings being bored all day. She is able to do several week old cartrails through the center of a very big city through heavy traffic over several kilometers and has proofed so several times. I can surely say she is a true working dog even if she may carry her tail down on a podium.
Dogs can´t be judged on charakter out of one very special situation.

Ina